Best climate for FM/CFS??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by OmShanti, Jun 5, 2003.

1. OmShanti

OmShanti New Member

Was wondering what everyone's thoughts on this would be. I mean if moist, damp, rainy, cold etc is no good, but ultra hot and humid (where i live) isn't good either, is there somewhere in the US that would be optimal for someone dealing with FM and CFS? I have had plans to move to Oregon for a while, but now that my health has gotten worse, i'm not so sure that's such a good idea since it rains alot there...but i defintely still want to move out of FL....any ideas?
  2. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

I have and do live in KY and in Wyoming. Very different climates, felt the same in both places.
    The only advantage in Wyoming was the sunshines over 300 days a year. Lifts the spirits !
  3. OmShanti

OmShanti New Member

thanks! the cold didn't bother you there? i've been contemplating moving there, since my bf is there and all, but nervous because of the fact that it's winter for so many months out of the year. so many people on the board say the cold really gets to them, pain-wise.
  4. lucky

lucky New Member

I believe the climate and where we live plays quite a role for some of us with CFS/FMS. But after I read Irwin's message today regarding the same subject, I am not too sure anymore, if there is an ideal place to feel comfortable and above all improve our health.
    Over the years I have travelled to many places, but there was not one which I was not complaining about, either too hot, too cold, too many pollens, to damp, too moldy, but surprisingly the climate of the Yukatan peninsula where it is humid, agreed with me and I felt great, and the fatigue was almost non-existant.
    If somebody has the answer, I would love to know. Lucky
    [This Message was Edited on 06/05/2003]
  5. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

little rain but, not hotter then 75 or cooler then 72. When we get a few weeks of this kind of weather it gives me more energy and makes us more uplifted. We'd move to a place like this in a sec. But, it has to be in the US. This is the type of place we'd like to live.

Kim and Gary
  6. DonnaMarie

DonnaMarie New Member

I lived in NY when I was diagnosed with CFS/FM. Long Island to be precise and the dampness and mold were what was killing me.

I moved to Northern GA and my health greatly improved. I would say a place with moderate temps, not to wet, yet not to hot. I will admit, I stay in the air conditioning all the time in the hot months of the year. Here in N. GA we do get change of seasons but it is a lot more moderate than South GA or then back home up north.

Yours,
    Donna
  7. JannyW

JannyW New Member

I grew up in the Washington, DC area ... lots of polution, very humid in summer, unpredictable winters. In l995 I moved to Charlotte, NC ... less polution, warmer most of the year, still humid, but the Mold & Mildew Capital of the Universe. I developed asthma while living in Charlotte. The end of the summer I'm moving to the North Myrtle Beach area ... hot, but with a nice ocean breeze; humid, but with a nice ocean breeze; and relatively no snow! I've always felt better when I've visited there ... will let you know what it's like to live there :)

Jan ^v^
  8. IacheIache

IacheIache New Member

and I'm not sure where I read it it was a while ago-
    That San Diego was the perfect place to go.
    This was from a person who had Fibro. He said that he would like to start a community for fibro ppl, because it was the best place to live-climate-wise.
    Right now I live in Wisconsin-not good. Moving to nashville in a few yrs, but am wondering if that will be any better, not as cold there, but the humidity........???
    Good Luck!!!
    ~Thea~
  9. Shirl

Shirl New Member

We are both in Louisiana, I am originally from N.O., but moved to the Northshore 9 years ago. I am in Ponchatoula.

Its a little better here, we do get a colder winter than New Orleans, but that miserable humidity is terrible.

I spend most of the worst humid days inside with the a/c, but love to garden. Its a catch 22 in this state.

I lived in N.O. my whole life, but it seems its getting hotter and more humid all the time.

Are you from N.O.?

I also heard on the board here that the most perfect weather is San Diego. But I am not big on traveling or moving, so guess I will just have to make the best of what I do have.

Shalom, Shirl
  10. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

first from Massachusetts to the gulf coast of Florida about an hour south of Sarasota. I loved the Florida summer!!! I found that it was easier than the Massachusetts summers, don't know why...

Didn't work out in Florida jobwise and right at the right moment our in-laws offered to have us move out here about one hour west of Seattle, WA. Very moderate winter. I never had to wear a winter coat, I wore what I used to wear for a rain coat back east. I had frost on my windshield 4 morinings this past winter. It has been great for my FMS. It's difficult to find appropriate jobs. My husband just got an extension from the state of Massachusetts for his unemployment. He's had a very difficult time finding a job here. When he left his job of 22 years, the reason given was the truth, for his spouses health and relocation. That's the only reason he was able to collect unemployment from Massachusetts.

The weather here for FMS is very good. It doesn't rain as much as the national weather makes it seem, as that would effect me very negatively. Everybody here does want the rest of the world to think that it rains all the time though. I have to say that the eastern side of the state has weather that I couldn't tolerate. It has the four seasons like New England and gets alot of snow and alot of cold...brrrrrrrrr...they can have it.

If for some reason, it doesn't work out here as far as jobs go, our next and last move would be to southern California. I wouldn't go unless I had a job ahead of time though.
  11. Dara

Dara New Member

and no, it doesn't rain as much as everyone thinks it does. The summers are beautiful and we haven't had ice or snow for several years now. Last winter I went to Arizona for two weeks and the weather was great, but I didn't feel any better there than I did here. I do have a brother who lives in SanDiego, originally he also lived in Portland, from everything I have heard the weather in SanDiego is the ideal climate for everyone. It does rain, but very seldom and it's a rare day that he's not out on the golf course.

Dara
  12. tadpoles

tadpoles New Member

I lived in Mtn. Home, Idaho for 5 years from 85-90. No winter coat then, 2 ft. of dry snow for a white Christmas but just thermals under sweats for us. Here in N. Ala. forget it! I think it has been pretty maybe 10 days this year. We have yet to be able to get in the pool. I've been watching Mtn. Homes weather and Yep! Sunny and 80-85 dry heat. I'm new to the site today, new pain med, no pain = no sleep huh! It has rained here forever it seems and will rain starting Tues for 8 more days, with every front that comes in, I have a Fibro Flare, I got FMS after Shingles of the face March 2002. Fought it but couldn't get back to work(Letter Carrier), had to file for disability March 2003, We will have to put our home up for sale this month due to the fact that I can no longer keep it up and our $$ were cut in half last year when I ran out of sick leave, so thought, as long as we've gotta move, What About A Drier Climate? Think It's The Answer? Maybe Arizona? Anybody have any suggestions?

THANKS,
    YOUR NEW FRIEND,
    TADPOLES

[This Message was Edited on 06/09/2003]
  13. MUSM

MUSM New Member

I live in the northwest, where it does rain a LOT. My fibro was diagnosed since living here, however, my sister worked for a rheumatologist in Phoenix and they dealt with a TON of fibro patients in that office, so, I don't think that is a good place either. Basically I don't think there is a best place to live for FMS. That is only my opinion...if anyone has a good place, I'd LOVE to know of it! Does anyone know if the molds do make you feel worse? There's a ton up here in the northwest.

Thanks everyone!
    MUSM
  14. givemethebrain

givemethebrain New Member

kauai was phenominal..swimming,snorkeling and fresh fruit,it is a good place.take a vacation there,i felt helthier there.i would tell you more but my ninite pills are in full affect
    Im in alaska..and its really rough.
    im off to bed.
    namaste and blessings on your journey
    J.
  15. Shirl

Shirl New Member

We have another member here from 'across the river':), she loves her doctor, the doctor she goes to is located in Metairie.

Make a post to her, here user name is; AnnetteP, she will be glad to tell you about her doc .

I gave up on the doctors, only go to a GP for my Xanax!!! I don't even bother telling them I have FM anymore.

After 20 plus years with little or no help from the medical profession, I treat myself these days, plus I am so allergic to most meds, its really a waste of time and precious energy for me.

Could have used your husband a month ago, spent eleven hundred dollars to get my a/c fixed, the compressor went out. I can live without a lot of things with this illness, but a/c is not one of them.

Yes, you are right, we were in that 'Trek' to get to the Northshore! Got a bit hairy in N.O. to say the least.
    I know where Kenzie Road is.

My daughter works in Covington, thats about 16 miles from Ponchatoula.

Glad you found the board, lots of great information here, and some terrific people too.........

Shalom, Shirl

[This Message was Edited on 06/09/2003]
  16. Betsy2

Betsy2 New Member

I live in SC after having lived in Michigan for 45 years. I assumed my pain would be better in the warmer climate but I assumed incorrectly. My pain level didn't change like I thought it would. I don't know if it is the humidity or not. It seems like Arizona would be a good place to live for any arthritic or FM condition.
  17. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

If money were no object, I would move to an area with the climate of Sedona. Really dry, does not get much snow, if any and is not super hot in Summer like Phoenix.

I live in Carlsbad (Between San Diego and Anaheim) and
    the climate is decent except from Mid May till July. It is
    damp, foggy, high humidity and overcast. For some reason, this dampness makes me feel 100 years old.

It is called May Gray or June Gloom here. Tourist don't realize that September thru December is more of a Summer than May and June.
  18. Ellie

Ellie New Member

On the island of Ohau and it really is not bad for fibro little rain and humity. Yesterday we broke a record for heat it was 90 and I didn't even feel it much. I have lived here for 6 years and just love it. The military needs people here as a lot of people dont' like it. I have mountains ocean is everywhere sea turtles whales good people. Whats not to like. I still have pain because you have to use a/c and that in it's self can create pain. As Always ALoha To all Ellie
    [This Message was Edited on 06/10/2003]