Best doctor to REMOVE MOLE from FACE?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by victoria, Nov 27, 2007.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

Need some advice from people who have had this done...

I visited a dermatologist today to have her look at 2 moles on my face... she did not want to biopsy +/or remove them herself;

she suggested I see a plastic surgeon since they are on my face as, it would then probably be one-stop (biopsy & removal if necessary) instead of 2.

I know moles can be deep as well as wide, and most people are touchy when all is said/done, even if they say they're not initially, I would think, so I'm not adverse to seeing a plastic surgeon.

But I was always under the impresion a dermatologist worked on moles...

So do plastic surgeons do this routinely???

[This Message was Edited on 11/27/2007]
  2. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

Seems like your doc is afraid of something. Maybe he doesn't like to actually "touch" patients esp. on face, or is afraid of a lawsuit.

Like, a family doctor removed a mole on my face, with good result.

Anyway, I suppose a plastic surgeon would be just fine for removal. Hmmm, maybe the dermatologist will get a "cut" of the fees if he recommends a particular plastic surgeon, esp. if you get talked into a whole Hollywood make over. Hmmm, maybe I'm getting too cynical? Anyway I hope all goes well, your mr Bill

Seems like an expensive biopsy is required these days for insurance purposes/rules even if a mole has had no change for whole life.
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

She said she was actually trying to save me money. And she didn't refer me to any particular plastic surgeon, in fact she told me to 'shop around'...

Sometimes it's hard to tell where one specialty ends tho and another picks up?, which is why I had questions.

So I am also checking with local friends to see if anyone's had anything done that's similar and what opinions there are of different doctors.

4. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Many medical insurance companies would consider this to be cosmetic surgery unless they are cancerous. So many insurance companies wouldn't pay for this.

I've had a bunch of moles removed from my body. I found the important thing to do is begin vitamin E about a week before the surgery. I continued on the vitamin E for about a month after the surgery. Starting around the 4th day, I began also applying the vitamin E directly on the incisions. This really helped with any scarring. I'm very fair complected, so I don't know if the vitamin E would have the same results for someone of olive or darker skin tones.

This would probably be done under local anesthetic as an out patient.
  5. therealmadscientist

Maybe time to "shop around" for another dermatologist.
    Doesn't make sense to me either. Seems like a plastic surgeon more likely to be expensive. Beats me, mr Bill
    Maybe something in Georgia laws.

6. victoria

victoria New Member

weirder and weirder in my little world...

Asked around at my local support group meeting today; one person's dermatologist just removed 8 growths of one kind or another from all over his body (not face), however for one he is being send to a plastic surgeon for some reason.

I asked on the Cf/Fm board last night too; waynesrhythm said for something similar he was getting quotes for $500-$1,000, was told to check with a plastic surgeon, who did it for $100. So maybe plastic surgeon won't be more expensive overall since all of it will be done at one time.

I don't have any insurance for this, unless I were to end up in the hospital; even then I have a $2500 deductible. I am going to keep asking around, will probably check with my regular doctor, also know another one on a more social basis . . . and see what they say.

I guess in the end it will pay to shop around one way or another, or at least call up offices and ask. But in my experience, a lot of front desk phone people aren't very knowledgeable... I hate to keep shelling out $$ for initial app'ts if they won't do it in the first place.

Decisions, decisions! - something that I don't do well with these days anyway!

Thanks all,

[This Message was Edited on 11/28/2007]
  7. therealmadscientist

But, what the heck, just go to one of those big pharmacy's and get some stuff, like the cryo or freezing stuff in the foot section for getting rid of warts. Or perhaps some liquid nitrogen (at the hardware store?) (it gets colder so probably better.)

Hey, worse thing is that you could have a weird scar later:).......that then the dermatologist could fix!

Uhhh, I've thought of it, but never had the nerve to actually try it.

(Uhhhh, don't rely on any suggestions made in this post.) Cheers, Mr Madscientist

Ummm, actually some interesting research going on now with cancer treatment and cryoablation/immune system activation.

[This Message was Edited on 11/29/2007]
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

They can make the tiniest sutures which eventually fade and can't be seen. You can't see where mine cut for the eyelid lift.

Love, Mikie
  9. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Twenty years ago, I had two moles, taken off, at the base of my nose, and one on my chin. I am so happy I used a plastic surgeon. There is no scarring.

My doctor had suggested the idea, with the moles being on my face. They did biopsy them also. I would be hesitant to use something on my face, especially if there might be a need to biopsy your moles.

If mole removal is necessary, most doctor's bill as 'suspicious'. Most insurance companies will not turn down the request.

I hope all works out well..

10. victoria

victoria New Member

I really appreciate your opinions.

Seems like the votes are in, most seem to be for plastic surgeons especially or even only if it is on the face! I wouldn't have had a problem going to a dermatologist, except with older ones, I wonder how much they keep up, suppose it depends. At any rate, none of them here seem to want to do it on the face anyway, upon further investigations.

Now all I have to do is let my fingers do the walking and try to price plastic surgeons as much as possible by phone; I really hate that I don't know anyone who has used any of them.

And mr bill........ LOL............. somehow I don't think I can fall for - uh I mean - be educated about self-doctoring on suspicious moles .............. anyway, I am very squeamish. I'll leave the experimentation up to you, seems like that would be right up your alley?

all the best,

11. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I had a dermatologist spray that freezing stuff on 5 places on my rt. arm. What a disaster! I had huge blisters that looked as if I'd been burnt by hot grease or something. All of the spots on my rt. arm that received the freezing stuff are now scars. Much better to have them surgically removed.
  12. victoria

victoria New Member

I did have a dermatologist freeze a keratosis on my face about 10 years ago... while I was warned it would redden etc., when it healed it was scar-free.

I was told then it was hereditary, and it would return; and it has. But now they say they permanently remove them, and do not freeze them anymore. Not sure what the change in thinking is.

Well, to be forewarned is to be fore-armed in any event... I'm thinking the mfrs probably would advise especially not to use those OTC products on the face?

If only duct tape would work...

13. therealmadscientist

Duct tape. What a great idea! Must be for everything else! Cheers, mr Bill

Perhaps I can interest you in some special Magical Herbs that go under a patch of Special duct tape? I call the secret special recipe "Trust Me".

BTW, I know this great Sushi chef who does some alternative medicine on the side, if you're interested:)

(eeeeww, sounds disgusting even to me.....makes me want to adjust my meds)lol:)

[This Message was Edited on 12/01/2007]
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It reminds me of raw fish :)

Love, Mikie
  15. victoria

victoria New Member

raw fish is EXACTLY what my face would end up looking like if I take mr bill's advice lolol....