Best FFC doc?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by deliarose, Feb 9, 2006.

1. deliarose

deliarose New Member

Can I take a straw poll of the FFCers on the board? I'm looking for feedback on the best FFC doc for treatment of CFS.
    Clearly, most people won't be able to compare, but any feedback would be much appreciated.
    Cheers
    Delia

2. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

It so depends on the person, really! I heard so many things that were good about Dr. J in Cleveland, no help yet for me, 7 months. I've heard they've sent the hard people to her. I'm having problems getting tests done and prescriptions going long distance. I've called multiple times, wrote e-mails, took 3 weeks to get help.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/09/2006]
  3. deliarose

deliarose New Member

Lisaloo, you've been on the FFC protocol for 7 months, and you haven't seen any improvement?

What does the doc say? Or does he/she just keep throwing different meds at you?

Dncnfngrs: I think other people on teh board have spoken highly of Dr Spurlock. Is he/she knowledgeable about hormone treatments also?

Many thanks
    Delia
  4. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

I love Dr Bullington in Atlanta. Lisa loo what have you been diagnosed with and did you start taking everything at once or ease in slowly? Have you been sick for a long time? Have you followed the diet advice and followed the prescribed protocol.

It seems to me just from talking to others over the past 8 months that those who have suffered longer or have Lymes have a much longer period to recovery. Also those that aren't following the protocol and diet advice do not seem to be revcovering as quickly either. Example: Were told to do Heperin therapy but decided not too. Etc..

Sometimes patients start slowly with one or two supplements and add more slowly so it takes longer. I started every thing at once.

They tell you up front it takes 4-6 months at the minimum sometimes up to a year! Lisa I hope you start feeling better soon! You've come so far. Lynn
  5. deliarose

deliarose New Member

any other FFCers out there?
  6. kellyann

kellyann New Member

I also just love DR. Bullington in Atlanta. She is the best!
    She really knows her stuff and seems to really care, unlike most doctors I have been to see. I am very thankful that I found Dr. Bullington, I feel like she has saved my life!

Take Care!
    Kellyann
  7. dancingstar

dancingstar New Member

Hey Delia,

I think Dr. Holtorf in Los Angeles (Torrance) is terrific. I'm relatively new to their protocol and I'm going slowly cause I'm not working, and my income is much lower since Unum Provident arbitrarily decided that there's nothing wrong with me and won't honor my privately purchased disability policy.

Dr. Holtorf is brilliant, though, and sooner or later I will get around to doing absolutely everything that he recommends for me. He's so gracious about my trying to get the most bang for my buck, too. I'm sure I'll keep him around for the rest of my life cause I know he understands how my body works better than any doctor that I've ever met.

This is not to take away from my wonderful internist...it's just that I notice a difference in how I feel since the changes that Dr. Holtorf has made in my treatment.
  8. JulieO

JulieO New Member

I really like Dr. Spurlock in the Dallas FFC!
  9. pawprints

pawprints New Member

If you are interested in a more holistic approach, Dr. Sharp in Ft. Worth is that doctor. He has personal experience with CFIDS in his family. He is a very kind man. The office has treated me well. They just got a new nurse so time will tell, but the prior nurse was excellent.

My only warning is that I think being closer to a center works out the best. The IVs are an important part of the program and impossible to do if you live far away.

I do think the connection you make with the doctor is a personal one and every patient is so different.
  10. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

Do you live in Torrance? I lived there up until 11 yrs. ago. I now live in Nashville, TN. It is funny to see someone mention Torrance. When I was young and people asked where I lived nobody ever knew were Torrance was!:)I bet it has changed a lot. I was born in Redondo Beach and moved to Torrance when I was 6. I miss the warm weather! I bet Calif. has a lot of knowlrgable docters on FM. There is one in Marina Del Ray ( DR, ARmand). Orange County is having a 3 day seminar on FM ( it is expensive about $400 a ticket)in March with over 80 speakers. Well I'll go now, just excited to here about my home town.:)
    Claudia
  11. dancingstar

dancingstar New Member

No, I don't live in Torrance. Don't really know the area that well. Grew up in Westwood, moved to Woodland Hills, now on the West Side again. Torrance just happens to be where the clinic is located.

I tried the guai protocol, and it didn't do a lot for me. I already knew that my hormones were all wacky and my autonomic nervous system was having problems from my having taken Effexor. The way that Dr. Holtorf treats me makes sense to me. There are so many things that I read about that different doctors do that just don't ring true.

Was it difficult to move away from So.Cal.? I've heard that Nashville is wonderful. I've even got a couple of friends that live there now. :)
  12. deliarose

deliarose New Member

bumping for more feedback....
  13. jane32

jane32 New Member

i really Like Dr. G. better then the previous Dr. and I am showing improvement-before FFC 30% then 45-50% an now averaging 55-60%. It is slow but there is a difference and I am only 1/2 through the treatments. Hopefully, it continues@
  14. bettydroop

bettydroop New Member

She is GREAT! She is so knowledgable, just to hear her explain how things work! I can hardly believe it. PHHHHEEEW.I trust her and she has a great "bedside manner" which I think will "click" with many people. And like the others at FFCs, really cares about the patients. It nice to have an hour of time with a Dr. than what the insurance cos give Dr.s like they have an actual TIME LIMIT to see a patient. And of course I do know I am paying for it but I guess thats the way it goes- I dont care right now - if it works for me Ill pay whatever I have to- to go.
    I have a feeling that all the FFCS doctors are great. So far I havent heard anything bad about the actual Drs there.
    OK more info than you needed but I did want to vote for her.LOL
  15. cynny3

cynny3 New Member

Hi, I also go to Dr. Holtorf in Torrance. He himself had Chronic Fatigue and battled it for many years. He struggled to get someone to understand his problem and when nothing but dead ends persisted, he himself changed his practice to hormone and thyroid and cured himself. I've only been seeing him since this past fall, but I have noticed a huge improvement already. I still have body aches and recurrent sinus infections, but am hopeful that these will subside eventually too.

Cynny3
  16. deliarose

deliarose New Member

could use your input..
  17. froggy95

froggy95 New Member

I need a doctor in Pittsburgh. I have been dealing with Fibro since 1989 but wasn't diagnosed until 1993. The past 6 months have been awful. My PCP doesn't want to deal with the break through issues and gave me Ultram. She sent me to a Rheumatologist Dr. Fisher who asked whether I was looking for disablity or to sue someone for my cart accident in 1988. I was so P****. I just called the Fibro Center in Greentree but they don't take insurance. I am at the point of taking the bridge if I don't get some help.
    Any suggestions?
  18. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

Yes, it was very hard leaving Ca.
    WE didn't know anyone out here. We moved here for several reasons ( being closer to family in surrounding states)the cost of living is less.
    It is nice out here, but cold! I still have thin CA. blood!:)
    I miss being able to go to the beach or the mountains all in one day!
    I was 30min from Redondo amd 2 hours from big bear.
    There are no beaches here, just little lakes and a lot of creeks!:)
    I would love to move back, but it is way out of our price range.
    I'm glad to here Torrance has a FFC clinic, I wonder if I got a friend to stop by if I could get info?
    Do they have brochures?
    Anyway, I hope you get wonderful results from your treatment.
    Hopefully they will open a center out here.
    Take care.
    Claudia

[ advertisement ]