Best hormone replacement therapy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by VickyB, Apr 24, 2003.

1. VickyB

VickyB New Member

I have had a full hysterectomy but have not been able to take HRT because everything has caused nausea. I have started drinking green tea with ginger root (great for nausea-better than any pill) and now feel I am able to use HRT but I am not sure what medication is the best?? There are so many to chose from and I would like advice from the experts on this board.
    Thanks, Vicky
  2. Dara

Dara New Member

and have since the day I had a complete hysterectomy back in 1993. But, the medical personnel I see at the Fibromyalgia Clinic want me to have my doctor re-evaluate this medication. Now I can't remember what they suggested he put me on though. I think the name is something like estrace??? I've been hearing some rather negative things lately about Premarin, so far though, I've had no side affects from it.

Dara
  3. babyblues68

babyblues68 New Member

Vicky,

I have not experienced Menopause yet, but every woman in my family has. I'm the youngest 35. My family are research junkies.

Do you homework on the best hormone replacement for you. My Aunt went in to her doctor found out this is where she was in the stages of her life. She stressed her family's medical history to him more than once at this 1 visit. My mother died of ovarian cancer, her sister. Her doctor gave her Premarin. He also did still comfirm Premarin increases your chance of Ovarian CA when she called him on it. He still told her to take it. She declined.

Not to say your doctor is neglectful in anyway. I just wanted for you to be aware a lot of doctors still just go thru the motions with our healthcare and so many have been influenced from drug companies today.

Now before you think this must be some straight holistic medicine believer, I'M NOT. I'm also not saying holistic treatments are bad. I just know at this point in my life I don't know what I would do without my Lortab. It's just our hormones control so much of us, as I'm sure you know.

My suggestion is you might try a Progesterone Cream...IT'S NOT A SYNTHETIC FORM. If you should opt for this treatment. Know there are some creams that are avalible in a pump. They help with dosing and prevent contamination to the cream because you aren't putting your your fingers straight into the cream.

Here is some info below is from the Women's menopause health center. It's about one of the drugs that was mentioned on this thread.

I apoligize for the length of my post. I believe other's should make other's aware of some thing's thy might not be aware of. Then they can choose.

Premarin:

The popular Hormone Replacement Therapy drug, has been linked to ovarian cancer. In a report published in the Journal of American Medical Association, doctors report that women who take estrogen-only hormone replacement therapy such as Premarin for a long period of time have a higher-than-average risk of developing ovarian cancer.

Women who took estrogen HRT's like Premarin for longer periods of time had a higher risk of developing ovarian cancer, and the researchers noted a 7% increase in risk associated with every extra year of estrogen HRT use.

Those who took estrogen for at least 10 years were twice as likely to develop ovarian cancer and those who used the drugs for 20 or more years were three times as likely to develop ovarian cancer as those who did not take the hormone, the report indicates.

Premarin was the first hormone replacement therapy (HRT) drug to hit the market. Premarin was first marketed in 1942 to alleviate the symptoms of menopause in women. Today, Premarin is still the most popular HRT drug, and one of the most prescribed drugs in the world.

There are approxiamtely eleven million women currently take Premarin. The popularity of this drug is due both to its extensive history and an aggressive marketing campaign by Wyeth.

Premarin:

Premarin is the brand name for a ****synthetic estrogen**** and a common medication used for hormone replacement therapy (HRT). Premarin, approved by the FDA in 1942, is derived from the urine of pregnant mares.

Doctors often prescribe Premarin to treat menopausal symptoms such as hot flashes, night sweats, vaginal dryness and sleep disturbances yet serious - and sometimes life threatening - Premarin side effects exist.

Women should gather as much information on Premarin as possible before agreeing to this hormone replacement therapy.

Research studies provide valuable information on Premarin side effects and symptoms. Studies show that Premarin increases a woman’s chance of breast cancer, ovarian cancer and uterine cancer, as well as increases the risks of heart disease and strokes.

Research information on Premarin side effects and Premarin symptoms:

A July 2002 study conducted by National Cancer Institute researchers linked Premarin use to an increased risk of ovarian cancer. This study found that women using estrogen alone faced nearly twice the risk of developing ovarian cancer than women not taking Premarin. The longer women used the estrogen-alone medication, the greater her risk of developing ovarian cancer.

A Jan. 2000 study, also conducted by National Cancer Institute, found that the risk of breast cancer increased by 10 percent for each year a woman used Premarin.

The American Heart Association (AHA) 2001 study revealed that hormone replacement therapy is no longer considered safe for postmenopausal women with heart disease.

A Harvard Medical School 2002 study revealed estrogen increases the tendency of the blood to thicken and clot - a leading cause of heart attacks.

Because of estrogen's link to uterine cancer, women who have not undergone a hysterectomy should not use Premarin. For women with an intact uterus, physicians usually prescribed Prempro, a combination of synthetic estrogen and progestin. The progestin combined with estrogen helps prevent the thickening of uterine lining, which can lead to cancer.

For more information on Premarin side effects, women need look no further than the manufacturer Wyeth-Ayerst Laboratories warnings. Grab your eyeglasses. The information on Premarin symptoms and side effects are listed in very small print in the Premarin insert sheet.

Premarin symptoms and Premarin Side Effects, as listed in the information on Premarin product insert sheet:

Nausea, vomiting.
    Pain, cramps or tenderness in the abdomen.
    Yellowing of the skin and/or whites of the eyes.
    Breast tenderness or enlargement.
    Enlargement of benign (fibroid) tumors.
    Irregular bleeding or spotting.
    Change in amount of cervical secretion.
    Vaginal yeast infections.
    Retention of excess fluid. This may make some conditions worsen, such as asthma, epilepsy, migraine, heart disease, or kidney disease.
    A spotty darkening of the skin, particularly on the face.
    Reddening of the skin.
    Skin rashes.
    Worsening of porphyria.
    Headache, migraines.
    Dizziness, faintness.
    Changes in vision (including intolerance to contact lenses).
    Mental depression.
    Involuntary muscle spasms.
    Hair loss or abnormal hairiness.
    Changes in weight. (Most women experience weight gain instead of weight loss).
    Changes in sex drive. (Most women experience decreased libido).
    Possible changes in blood sugar.
    Premarin symptoms and side effects also reported by women taking Premarin, but not included in the manufacturer’s information on Premarin side effects, include:

Shortness of breath.
    Coughing up blood.
    Severe stomach pain or swelling.
    Acne.
    Allergies.
    Fatigue.
    High blood pressure.
    Gallstones.
    Loss of libido.
    Asthma.
    Numbness, tingling, itching of feet and hands.
    Heaviness of the chest.
    Doctors often prescribe the topical Premarin vaginal cream to treat vaginal dryness. The estrogen Premarin vaginal cream also increases the risk of uterine cancer and poses similar Premarin side effects including blood clots, nausea, abdominal pain, breast tenderness, irregular bleeding, headache, and vaginal irritation.

Many women question why, with all the research information on Premarin side effects, physicians routinely prescribed this hormone replacement therapy. The simple answer is, we do not know.

For years physicians routinely prescribed Premarin for the prevention of heart disease and osteoporosis, in addition to relieving menopause symptoms. However, current research evidence shows that Premarin does not prevent heart attacks.

Premarin received FDA approval in 1942, but only for osteoporosis prevention. Current studies show that this benefit is nominal, with Premarin slowing bone loss by only 2.5 percent.

Women concerned about osteoporosis have safer and more effective prevention options available. These prevention measures include weight lifting, lifestyle changes, diet supplementation with calcium and Vitamin D and newer, safer osteoporosis medications like raloxifine, alendronate, and calcitonin.

Women also have safe and effective alternatives in treating the symptoms of menopause. Natural alternatives for menopause symptoms can greatly enhance women’s lives without the serious side effects of synthetic hormones.

As an aside, women should carefully evaluate pharmaceutical ads and suggestions that estrogen prevents wrinkles and helps the skin maintain a youthful appearance. This is a marketing ploy. In the Premarin insert sheet (again, in tiny print), the manufacturer states; "You may have heard that estrogen will keep your skin moist and young looking. There is no proof of this."

Menopause is not a disease the requires drug intervention for the remainder of a woman’s life. Menopause is a natural life process - the reverse of puberty - that brings a woman out of her childbearing stage of life.

The Women’s Menopause Health Center does not oppose pharmaceutical intervention but believe that these measures should be explored only after exhausting all natural and healthful alternatives.

Tammy

4. VickyB

VickyB New Member

Thanks for all the replys. I have to say that I am still confused. I had a breast biopsy a couple of years ago that scared the sh** out of me. Both my grandparents had breast cancer and I do not like to go there. I have a mammogram scheduled for next week and go back to my doctor to talk more about HRT. I am using Natural Progesterone Cream but feel like I need more. Thanks for any advice.
  5. jstbrznby

jstbrznby New Member

Hi Sweetie,
    I have gone down this trail too. Had the hyst, in '93' and went right to the Premerin. It made me nauseas too, the they decided I needed some Testostrone so the tried Progestrin. Last summer I got smart and went totally holistic with the Black Cohash,Progestrin Creme, etc. But, this fall when I got so sick they discoverd thru a blood test that I had NO hormones, I thought my D, was going have a cardiac! SO, now I take a hormaone called Menest, it isn't made from what all the others are derived from (I don't mean to sound crude here but)Horse Urine. Anyway I have been on it for 2 months and I don't get nauseated and I do feel better but I also have been taking better care of myself since i discovered this board!
    Good Luck and warm hugs......Pam2
  6. lucky

lucky New Member

There are so many new HRT medications out there. Premarin is the one which was used in the research (0.625mg) and scared a lot of women away from HRT after the results were published. However, nobody ever did mention the results of the newer patches available which are quite different than Premarin. These estrogen patches are the closest to our own production of estrogens.
    If you had a complete hysterectomy, you do not need Provera with the Estrogen and there are pretty safe patches on the market, one of them is Climara which is a soya product.
    Before you see your doctor, take a minute and do some of your own research so that you have an idea, what is available for you. And, not to forget, the patches are a lot safer because they do not travel through our livers, etc. and goes right into the blood stream.
    Natural products are not strong enough for many people, especially those ones who had a hysterectomy.
    Best wishes, Lucky
    [This Message was Edited on 04/25/2003]
  7. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I take Pregneneolone, the natural "Mother hormone", which allows my body to make any hormones I may be deficient in, and uses my own cholesterol to do it, thereby lowering my cholesterol a bit too! It is availble over the counter in health food stores. If you decide to try it, never take more than 20 mgs. per week without getting blood tests done to check hormone levels, esp. DHEA. I take 10 mgs. twice weekly.
    Klutzo
  8. lucky

lucky New Member

The results of the study was only done on Premarin and nothing else and that only on a dosis of 0.625mg.
    Nobody mentioned the newer HRT's which are much improved.
    I have been on HRT for almost 20 yrs., and I am sure that my health would be much worse than what it is without HRT, I would not even like to think about it! after an early hysterectomy. But, I am not on Premarin.
    Take care, Lucky
  9. JLH

JLH New Member

I would recommend that you discuss this with your GYN. I am sure that he/she would know what is best for you in your case.

I have taken Premarin for 10 years or more with no problem at all. But, all I need is estrogen and don't need the progestrone. I am 52 and had a partial hysterectomy many years ago.

My daughter is 30 and just had to have a complete hysterectomy. She is wearing the patch, but I don't know what hormones it contains.
  10. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

said his was like that of a castrated man. I know for me (I worked in research and I traveled all over this great country for a year)doing studies on HRT meds. I will say one thing GIVE ME THE HRT's! I am 47 and have just started to enter this glorious part of life but, am still mostly regular so not to much more time. I have osteoperosis and Gary osteopinia. Research and talk to your doc about which one is best for you then research again.

Good luck, Kim and Gary
  11. shazz

shazz New Member

the combo of premarin and medroxyprogesterone.
    And personally, I am with Madwolf. I find them flawed and designed to scare people. I have tried all the HRT's out there, and premarin is what works for me.
    I have no uterus so no need for progesterone, although some women who have no uterus swear it helps them feel better.
    I am gonna keep taking premarin, my quality of life while I am here is so much more important to me than quantity. Frankly without premarin I feel just awful, and would not care one bit if I died or not.
    Not saying it solves all problems, God knows I have plenty of others right now.
    For certain people others work better, and if the natural stuff works for you, then by all means use it, I wish I could.
    I am not crazy about where premarin comes from, and I am not an animal hater either, I adore my animals, but remember where insulin used to come from, and the fact that I love animals would not make me expect diabetics to go without their insulin. And I love steak and bacon as well.
    Sorry to sound so bitchy but these studies really get on my nerves, and I wonder sometimes if they aren't funded by PETA themselves, because they NEVER ever focus on any other estrogens.
    I would say experiment, use what works for you, HRT is kind of like antidepressants you may go through several before you find the one that balances you out.

Hugs,

Shazz
  12. pooped

pooped New Member

Just bumping so more of you can see the comment that MADWOLF almost made about many men will benefit from HRT.

GIGGLE GIGGLE POOPED
  13. schnoodle

schnoodle New Member

I had a full hysterectomy about 10 years ago. I have been on 2 mg. Estrace ever since. I have never had a side affect and it has worked great. I tried the natural progesterone cream and turned into a mess emotionally and physically. I needed estrogene. Good luck.

P. S. Madwolf, you are the BEST! I agreeeee!
  14. Suzan

Suzan New Member

Is estradiol....I chose it because it is plant based, and not derived from horse urine! I had a hysterectomy, double oophrectomy ( ovaries) at 40. I started on Premarin...but several years ago after doing a lot of reading changed to estradiol. I do go get mammo's and checkups every year, just in case, but so far so good. Now that I am 50, I will start lowering the dosage...as if I were entering menopause. I actually noticed a difference between the Premarin and estradiol...I just feel better.Also it is way cheaper as you can go generic with estradiol!
  15. lsw

lsw New Member

I wouldn't do anything other than natural hormones. I also had a complete hysterectomy including ovaries due to endometriosis at 40. I know that after I changed from synthetic to natural hormones about a year and a half ago they asked me what was different when I went to have my annual mammo because my breasts were not as cystic.
  16. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I agree with your assessment of the study; however, I do not agree with you on Premarin. Estradiol has been shown to more closely replicate a woman's own estrogen and in my case, was much more efficient at helping with the symptoms of perimenopause.

I know you also disagree that the horses which are used to produce Premarin are not abused, but when we last discussed it, there were a lot of post from women with knowledge of abuse. For this reason alone, I would not want to use it.

Love, Mikie
  17. Serino

Serino New Member

Hi everyone...first time posting...just found this and am so happy....I have been on premerin since 1991. I've tried to go off but always ended up taking them again because of horrific HOT FLASHES. I also have fibromyalsia and read recently that the Premerin may affect this disease, so, 3 weeks ago I went off the Premerin. I did not notice any side affect from taking this except gaining 10 lbs I could never rid myself of and sore breasts...determined not to take anymore just to see if the fibromyalsia tones down a bit. My question(s). 1. Does anyone know if the Premerin does affect fibromylsia and (2) did going off the hormone help. (3) Do the hot flashes go away. I sometimes wonder because I have been in complete menopause since 1985 and still have them (sometimes even with the premerin when I am stressed). and WILL I EVER LOSE THE 10 LBS!!! I am 60 years old and the only weight I have gained in 40 years is the gain I got from the hormone. Thank you in advance for any answers you may have for me, and I look forward to joining all of you in further correspondence...
    [This Message was Edited on 07/12/2003]
  18. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It's been so long since we had that thread on the Premarin that I can't remember whether anyone had first-hand knowledge about the abuse of the horses, but I believe if memory serves, and often it doesn't anymore, someone did. In any case, in our society, where animals and profits are concerned, the animals usually don't fare very well. That's not to say that this is always the case, though.

I only have my own experience with the Premarin as compared to the Estradiol and the Estradiol is far superior in delivering relief from the symptoms at a much lower dose. I have read in quite a few places that the estrogen in the horse urine is not the best type for HRT in women. Of course, everyone has his or her own professional opinion.

In the end, we all just have to make our own decisions and for me, that's to stay on the low dose of Estradiol.

Love, Mikie
  19. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

Hi Vicky. I know how confusing this all is. I've been on the patch for a few months. I was taking Prempro and then stopped all HRTs. I was off for a few months and felt miserable. Finally I spoke to my doctor and she suggested I go on a patch. I love it! I never had any side effects and just change it twice a week. No more hot flashes! I just wanted to put in my 2 cents worth!

Annette2
  20. jeniwren

jeniwren New Member

Well ...this is a hotly contested topic.

I had a hysterectomy 13 yrs ago. Over this time I've tried Premarin in different dosages and suffered horrendous headaches for my troubles. I've tried patches and developed an allergy to the adhesive used in them. I tried the rub in gel and found that it wasn't enough, I still had hot flushes. I'm now on Ogen and it appears to be working for me at present.

What it amounts to is that What works for one woman doesn't neccessarily work for others. Our bodies also metabolise hormones at different rates which effects what you need too and sometimes what is working efficiently can stop working for you. It's trail and error.

Good Luck,

Jeni

[ advertisement ]