Best Mac And Cheese Ever

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Emeril is on "Good Morning America" and they had a contest for the best mac and cheese. The winner is going to make it after the commercial break. I'm not going to be around to watch it but my guess is that the recipe will be on their web site.

Love, Mikie
  2. tonakay

tonakay New Member

Mac and cheese sounds yummy. Hey Mikie, did you see that Sujay posted on the FM board? Great to see a post from her again!

3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

No, I didn't see it but will go look for it. Thanks for the heads up. I miss her.

Love, Mikie

Oops! Yes, I did see it and responded to it. I'm soooo tired today. Fell asleep last night and forgot to take my Klonopin til 1:00 this morning. The body is at the computer but the brain isn't awake yet :)
    [This Message was Edited on 02/29/2008]
  4. dononagin

dononagin New Member

sounds good to me too! Did ya say Sujay?? I'm off to the FM board to find it!

5. victoria

victoria New Member

I'm the weird one, I always hated mac & cheese until as an adult I made my own version with whole wheat noodles and organic cheese. Yum!

Except nobody else in my family liked it LOL, they liked the Kraft or Stouffer's kind, go figure.

But weirdly I never liked pasta until I found whole wheat as an adult... my Mom used to have to give me the spaghetti meat sauce minus the spaghetti LOL...

6. victoria

victoria New Member

Sujay was more centrally located...!

Thanks for the heads up!

7. dononagin

dononagin New Member

the Sujay thread was bumped up from like 2004.... ugh! Still hungry though for some Mac & Cheese!
  8. tonakay

tonakay New Member

Dang, I never saw the date on that either. Poop.
  9. twerp

twerp New Member

Best Mac 'n' Cheese Ever from Laura Macek

1 head of garlic, roasted
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    1 pound Cavatappi pasta
    ½ pound sliced Applewood smoked bacon
    1 ½ cups fresh white bread crumbs (5 slices, crusts removed)
    ½ cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
    8 tablespoons butter
    ¼ cup minced shallots
    ½ cup flour
    1 quart whole milk
    6 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated
    8 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
    ½ teaspoon pepper
    1 teaspoon salt
    ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350°.

To roast garlic: Slice ½ inch off the top of the entire head of garlic. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Wrap garlic head tightly in a square of heavy foil and roast until tender — about 45 minutes. Remove garlic pulp by squeezing garlic head. Smash cloves with a fork to form a paste.

Cook pasta according to package directions.

Cook bacon completely. Drain on paper towels. Reserve 1 tablespoon of bacon fat. Crumble bacon when cool.

To make topping: Combine breadcrumbs, crumbled bacon, Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, and 2 tablespoons of melted butter. Set aside.

Preheat oven to 375°.

Sauté shallots over low heat in reserved bacon fat for one minute. Add remaining 6 tablespoons of butter and continue to sauté shallots in butter and bacon fat until translucent.

Add flour and continue to cook for 1-2 minutes. Increase heat to medium. Stirring constantly with a whisk, add milk and roasted garlic paste.

Cook until sauce is thickened (coats the back of a spoon). Remove sauce from heat then add salt, pepper, nutmeg, Gruyere and Cheddar cheeses. Taste and adjust salt and pepper if necessary.

Stir in cooked pasta. Pour into baking dish. Sprinkle topping to cover entire top. Cover with foil and bake 15 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking until sauce is bubbly and topping is browned. Enjoy!

10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks so much for posting this.

I have two blue boxes on my shelf now. I'm just too lazy to cook much anymore. Also, I think I've lost my touch. It's hard to cook for one, especially when I come home from work, tired from my day.

Thanks again, I hope someone makes this and tells us how it tastes.

Love, Mikie
  11. twerp

twerp New Member

Yes, I too hope someone has the energy to make it and let us know how delicious it is.

I don't think I'll go to the trouble myself. It's just hubby and me and he hates macaroni and cheese. Imagine that!

12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Married a man who doesn't like licorace. I can't imagine that! I mentioned it while cashiering and scanning some black jelly beans and one customer remarked, "The man can't be trusted." Well, we all burst out laughing. I can't wait to tell my daughter. She said she didn't know about it before she married him (as though it were something which would bring shame on our family :) Poor guy. He didn't realize what he was getting into when he married into our family. He's finding out now and I think he actually likes it.

Love, Mikie
  13. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

KD with a very liberal shaking of parmesian and fresh pepper. The blending of the natural flavours of pepper and parmesian with the bright, synthetic orange flavour of KD! Yum!

How do you spell parmesian?

I'm hungry.

PS My kids don't like licorice! They think licorice is red!!!