best makeup for aging skin

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by justlooking, May 14, 2009.

1. justlooking

justlooking New Member

I am just at my wits end in trying to find makeup that looks good on my skin. I am a couple of years over 40 and each year my makeup looks worse and worse. It either looks dry and caked or oily and smearing.
    I have tried so many kinds and still nothing looks good. I haven't tried the expensive ones like clinique mostly because I don't have the energy to go to the mall, however now they sell it online so if those brands are worth the money, I may have to try it.
    I am a makeup person and look absolutely awful without it but at this point I am looking almost as bad with it LOL Please help!
    Any suggestions on what works for you would be appreciated.
    Sincerely
    JL
  2. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

I've never worn makeup. Mom tried to make a proper little lady outta me, but I'm a total tomboy.

I can tell ya that coconut oil is an excellent overnight skin cream.
    Ya hafta massage it in & get it all nice & warm, not just rub it on the surface.

Mom says good makeup starts with good skin.

[This Message was Edited on 05/14/2009]
  3. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

I've been seeing ads for Cover Girl Simply Ageless Foundation (Ellen Degeneres is the spokeswoman). It has Olay Regenerist Serum in it and is designed to cover fine lines and wrinkles. I'm 39 and am thinking about trying it when my other makeup runs out. Maybe it's worth trying? A lot of people also have good look with powdered minerals types of makeup. Good luck!

Erika
  4. vivian53

vivian53 Member

Two of my favorite subjects. I used Cover Girl for years. When I hit my mid forties it seemed to show my wrinkles more. I now use a mineral powder makeup. I didn't think it would provide enough coverage but it does.

For wrinkles I use the Obagi line. It costs a small fortune to be honest, but is the best. It is a prescription line so I have to get it at the dermatologist. It incorporates Retin A in the applications.

Jam, I used to use Rachael Perry stuff too. I don't know why they stopped selling it in the stores. I'm still on the Grapeseed Extract too. I am using it for long term benefits since I may be around a long while and want to feel as good as I can, just in case I am.

Let me add that even though I spend all this money and have laser treatments etc, I do NOT get compliments on my skin. So I must be a wrinkled old prune.

One the other hand my older sister, who gets all kinds of Botox and filler injections, gets a lot of compliments. Although, just between us, I don't think she looks like herself anymore. So there. Ha!

Oh well. Anyway, try the mineral makeup if you want a change. Trying different types of makeup has been sorta a hobby for me, so I enjoy the hunt.

vivian

5. justlooking

justlooking New Member

I don't have a chance to respond to each one right now but will do so later. I appreciate each and every person for taking the time to respond.
    Thank you
    Sincerely
    JL
  6. almay line smoothing makeup, its a liquid like makeup and it hydrates all day. It's the best and lasts along time as you don't use alot. I have gotten alot of compliments on my skin looking great, very little wrinkles. knock wood! lol!

Its always on sale or buy one get one free or half off if you have a rite aid , kmart or walgreens nearby
  7. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

I can order it on line or by watching hsn , its been great for me, as I have problems with most make-up's.
    I am now using a new product, called Collidoial Gold, (sp?) and it's a complete kit.
    So I don't have to try so many diff. products that may or maynot work for me.

I wear makeup, when I leave the house, which is not to often these days, but it does make me feel better about going somewhere, even if it's just to the Dr.s or the pharmacy, lol.

She, has kits for all ages, and it's usually around the cost, of what I would pay for, for just Cleanser and Moisturzer, (sp?).
    If you don't like it, you can return it, which I think is a great way to shop.
    I don't go to Dept. Stores anymore, so this was a great find for me, and you can even get some beautiful Purses as a gift with the kit.

Nice to know there are others who still like makeup, some times with these dd's, it's really hard, to even think about putting it on.
    It's so much fun, playing with makeup, some day I might grow tired of it, but not yet,
    sharonk
    [This Message was Edited on 05/16/2009]
  8. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Have you ever seen the magazine MORE? It's for women of our age and it's wonderful....
    They often do articles on our changing skin and the best make up to buy for our particular skin problems.

I didn't even know this magazine existed until a few months ago and now enjoy a subscription....so I highly recommend it.

Hugs,

Nancy
  9. Sacajawea2

Sacajawea2 Member

Hi JL,
    I've been wearing Clinique make up since I was 18!!! I've strayed now and again but always go back. I don't have an issue with wrinkles yet but have found Clinique's foundation to be perfect for me...totally worth the splurge. I just recently got a new bottle (mine is called "Superfit" make up)...w/ the purchase I got a free bag full of goodies...a mascara, lipstick, moisturizer and a stick blush. So it's a good deal and I only get stuff when I can get a gift. I also love their lipsticks and eyeliner!!!

I used to be a cosmetitian and preferred this to most other make ups...Clinique is also free of fragrance so that has always been a plus for me.

My mom recently purchased another brand..Lancome (also amazing, used to use that more before I got disabled). This foundation is called Photogenic Lumessence. AMAZING stuff. It was the wrong tint for her so I got it, and wow do I love it! It's very expensive so I won't be getting it again but it goes on like velvet and is so smooth and radiant looking, I just love it.

You've got quite an assortment of suggestions! I hope you can find someting that works for you!

SJ
  10. greatgran

greatgran Member

I am 66 and Bare Essentials seems to work best for me..

gg
  11. justlooking

justlooking New Member

TY to all of you who replied. I have a lot to go back and read and also reply to. I have had a migraine for over a week, it is gone now but migraines cause exhaustion in me for a few days after the episode. I will repond to all soon. Thank you again
    JL
  12. justlooking

justlooking New Member

Pippi, you are very lucky to not have to wear makeup. I have always had uneven skin tone, so make up is a must for me. I do use moisturizer at night and under my makeup. I think it may be one of the reasons my makeup gets smeared and greasy by afternoon. Thanks for the moisturizer suggestion.

Jamin, thanks for the makeup suggestion. I've not heard of any of the products you mentioned, but will google them to check them out. As for the grapeseed extract, I know you are the number one spokesperson for it. I did buy some a few months ago but they are still unopened. I also bought a grapeseed facial mask, also unopened. I will be forcing myself to try both of them soon, I am such a procrastinator!

Zenouchy, I have always used Cover Girl products and up until a couple of years ago they worked great on my skin. However as my skin has changed, it just doesn't go on like it used to. It seems none of the drugstore products look good and I've tried just about every kind. I have a drawer full of half used products UGH!! My teenage girls are now using CoverGirl and it looks great on them. My pores have gotten too big and my skin too discolored, sigh!!!!! I do like the Olay moisturizers, so maybe their makeup products will be good too. Thanks for the suggestion.

Vivian, thanks for the information on the RX product. I may be going to a dermatologist soon for a facial/neck rash diagnosis. It is part of the problem with my skin discoloration. I didn't realize they had prescription make up products. I have considered the mineral type makeups but haven't heard much about them. Everyone has a mineral makeup line now so I wouldn't even know where to start with that. Any suggestions on drugstore lines of mineral makeup that look good?

fibrobutterfly, I've not tried Almay. Since it is all day hydrating, does it begin to look greasy and smeared by the afternoon? Do you use a powder over the foundation?

Bruin63, yes I am a makeup girl. It usually doesn't matter how bad I feel, I put on makeup. It cheers me up and plus you never know who you are going to run into, even at home LOL I feel bad enough all of the time, I don't want everyone to know I feel bad or say "wow, you look terrible". That would NOT make my day LOL I am glad to know I am not the only makeup girl here!!! I have never watch HSN but I'm sure I can google it or go to their website and check it out.

Hugs4every1, I've never heard of the magazine. Sounds interesting. I definitely need all the help I can get these days when it comes to beauty. My makeup is a mess, my hair is a mess, having kids makes it difficult to find time to take care of ourselves, then add being sick 24/7....

Sacajawea, thanks for the information on Clinique and Lancome. I have viewed both via websites in the past few months. I am not opposed to the expense, at this point my vanity is making my wallet looser LOL I don't have a lot of wrinkles, just small eye lines. My issue is more discoloration and larger pores than a few years ago. Do you use powder along with the foundation? Again thank you as I needed to hear that it was worth the expense, before I made up my mind.

greatgran, where do you buy bare essentials? Is it department store or drug store?

Thank you all who responded. I hope I remembered everyone and everything you each said. My mind is still numb from the weeklong migraine, which has now moved into my body and stolen ALL of my energy.
    Sincerely
    JL
  13. no it doesn't get greasy at all, NO POWDER, that is what gets stuck in any wrinkles u may have. the almay looks natural thats what I like about it. It actually reversed a couple wrinkles I was getting.
  14. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I was JUST reading that they are making HD (High Definition) makeup now much like they use for the news anchors and others that appear on TV. Here's the article from Web MD:
    -----------------------------------------------
    High-Definition Makeup Not Just for Stars
    High-definition makeup is no longer the secret weapon of TV personalities and celebrities. For a flawless finish, many are now turning to HD makeup.
    By Liesa Goins
    WebMD Feature
    Reviewed by Louise Chang, MD

Finding a new TV can be daunting enough, but do you really need makeup to go with it? To understand the new wave of HD makeup, it helps to appreciate how this technology affects your must-see programs.

Newer, high-definition TV sets can project larger images with 2-5 times the resolution of analog versions. So everything from wardrobe malfunctions to the care instructions on a host’s outfit will air in much more vivid detail.

Realizing their pores and dark circles could show up on screen five times larger, news anchors across the country balked. Makeup artists responded with high-definition makeup formulas designed for the new viewing experience. In Hollywood, the union for makeup artists has even held seminars to educate members on adapting to the new technology.

Even if you never plan on having your 15 minutes of fame, high-definition makeup may deserve a supporting, if not starring, role in your makeup routine.
    What is HD makeup?

High-def cameras create a catch-22: Any crease, wrinkle, or blemish will be exposed, but thick, unnatural pancake makeup will also be obvious through an HD lens.

To avoid the cakey texture of standard TV coverage, high-definition makeup formulas are designed to be more sheer yet still hide uneven skin texture and other un-telegenic flaws, says independent makeup artist, Joanna Schlipp, who has applied HD-friendly coverage for the Oscars, Grammys, and Emmys. “You can see the skin through the makeup, but it creates a softer focus,” she says.

In other words, these cosmetics simultaneously camouflage imperfections, cover blemishes, and still manage to appear invisible. The pigments and formulas are designed to blend seamlessly with the skin -- in short, what any good cosmetic should already be doing. Most cosmetics today are designed to create a “natural” look.
    What’s in HD makeup formulas?

The main difference involves light-scattering ingredients, says Tina Turnbow, a makeup artist for Beauty.com who has made Mary Louise Parker and Taylor Momsen HD camera ready. “The reflective particles are what makes the foundation really flattering,” she explains.

Diffusing light creates an illusion of an even finish so you can’t detect the flaws beneath -- like airbrushing for your skin. Cosmetics with an HD label will likely contain one of the following: mica, silicone, crystals, or quartz. These particles sit on top of the skin and help to scatter light in subtle ways.

The powders are often milled to a fine consistency to help avoid detection by the cameras. Mineral pigments in a micronized texture are often present as well because they don’t settle into pores.

Some formulas may contain mattifying agents to prevent shine in oilier complexions and avoid glare. For the same reason, the foundations are usually oil-free.

And, often these HD makeup formulas are designed to moisturize because makeup can settle into cracks and creases apparent in dry complexions. The hydration also plumps up dry skin to make wrinkles and lines less noticeable.

Does HD makeup need to be applied differently?

In most cases, no. You should always brush or sponge on your foundation in a downward motion to avoid highlighting the fine hairs on your face. And, it’s always essential to blend down to the neck so you don’t end up with a telltale stripe along your jaw.

“Any makeup should be body temperature when you apply it for the best blending,” Schlipp says. She suggests warming a few drops of foundation in the palms of your hands before dipping an applicator in the fluid.
    Do I need to switch to HD makeup?

Upgrading to high-def formulas isn’t a necessity for anyone who doesn’t log hours of face time on a red carpet. “Women should be applying their makeup light enough that you can’t detect it in person,” Schlipp says.

“Much of the HD makeup trend is all about clever marketing,” says cosmetics chemist Jim Hammer. “But it does make sense that these formulas can soften skin perfections and make it appear more uniform and smooth without visible residue.”

That doesn’t mean you won’t see similar results from other cosmetics. “Many of these same ingredients in HD makeup formulas are present in wrinkle-concealing and mattifying foundations that have been on the market,” Hammer says.

Cosmetics with light-reflecting ingredients will have the same benefits as many high-definition makeup options. And the airbrush foundations that have gained popularity recently also get your complexion camera ready.
    Which HD makeup products are worth the investment?

If you’re in the market, consider a foundation or concealer designed for HD filming. This is often where you see the most impact, Turnbow says. HD foundations are especially wise purchases if you’re worried about how your skin will look in pictures, so they’re perfect for a bride.

Camouflaging imperfections to create a smooth canvas will make any other cosmetic you apply next look even better. Plus, focusing on your skin tone means you can also get away with wearing less makeup.

With a lightweight, light-reflecting base, you won’t have to worry that your makeup looks like it was applied with a trowel.
    Who makes HD makeup?

* Cargo offers a blu_ray line that contains powder, blush, and foundation from $15 to $49, cargocosmetics.com, all with light-reflective particles.
    * Dior’s Capture Totale Foundation boasts a “high-definition finish.” $75, saksfifthavenue.com.
    * Givenchy sells a Photo Perfexion Fluid Foundation, $42, sephora.com, to "conceal and retouch skin problems."
    * Makeup Forever "gets skin ready for close-ups" with HD Invisible Cover Foundation and HD Microfinish Powder, $40 and $30, sephora.com.
    * Smashbox High Definition Healthy FX Foundation and Photo Foundation Primer "set the scene for flawless skin," $38 and $42, sephora.com.

FROM: http://www.webmd.com/skin-beauty/features/high-definition-makeup-not-just-for-stars
  15. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I thought about you this morning as I used my current makeup trick.

Like someone else mentioned (I read this post a few days ago and can't recall who - imagine that!), Almay does have a good makeup for aging skin. I bought what I thought was the right one but got home to find I'd bought one for younger skin that loads up in wrinkles and creases.

Another trip to Target wasn't in the cards so I improvise and want to share how with you and anyone who's interested.

Using the liquid makeup you have on hand, assuming the color is right, put some in the palm of your hand and add a small dollop of moisturizer. Mix them well with the fingertips of your other hand and apply. You'll soon learn how much moisturizer you need.

Voila! You have tinted moisturizer which works very well on not-so-young skin. In fact, I think I got the idea from the Cover Girl makeup ads that Ellen D. is in. If a makeup can have a moisturizer in it, why can't we add it ourselves if we want to? Answer: We can.

It will work well until you use up your heavier makeup and then can buy a lighter type or as long as you like.

Marta
  16. Sacajawea2

Sacajawea2 Member

Yes, JL, that Lancome is sooooo worth it if you don't mind the $$-- I think it's $45! The clinique is half of that and works fine...however to compare the two, I'd rather have the Lancome...it makes my face look "radiant", lol...I wonder if it's HD? It feels so smooth! I got spoiled for sure w/ that!

Yes, I use a pressed powder over the foundation. I'm 41 and have no lines yet (yay!) but do have large pores on my nose and eye circles from allergies and NEED makeup. I also am a makeup girl...don't wear it every day but do love to wear it.

My mom also sent me the lancome self tanning cream...just too lazy to use it but when I do, it works well and I love the look. I may try it this weekend.

How will you pick the right tint/color online? I'm curious if they have comparison charts (like if you wear one store brand another brand that would be similar)?

SJ