Best news for CFS! Senate aprove 10 mil in RENO for CFS research

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rene, May 31, 2005.

1. Rene

Rene New Member

Good news finally. In the Las Vegas Sun state A University of Nevada Reno is building a labs to research cancer an CFS!!!! Senate approved the appropriation.

The newspaper is Las Vegas Sun

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/nevada/2005/may/23/052310172.html

Also Harvey whittemore of Reno, a powerful lobbyist chipped in 2 mill more as his daughter has CFS.
    Rene
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I hate to ever see anyone get our illnesses, but if someone has to, it's wonderful to turn tragedy into something positive. That is how Dr. Nicolson made his valuable discovery of the connection between Gulf War Illness, our illnesses, and many others with chronic mycoplasma infections. His daughter came home from the first Gulf War with GWI.

Let's hope and pray that this new research will bear fruit.

Love, Mikie
  3. Rene

Rene New Member

Yes Mikie I agree that it does take someone who is related to raise funds. Montel raised alot for his disease. But the who senate passed it so the word is getting out!!!!! Great for us on the west coast to get some good help as it seems all the best hopitals are on the east.
    Rene
  4. IndianPrincess

IndianPrincess New Member

I think the info from this link would be a great resource to use for disability cases because the Senate (a lawmaking entity of our state and federal governments) approved the appropriation for CFIDS research.

Obviously, the Senate feels that CFIDS is a major health problem.

Cindy
    [This Message was Edited on 06/01/2005]
  5. foxglove9922

foxglove9922 New Member

The more research, the better. This is encouraging news and thank you for sharing.

Wonder what aspect of this illness they will be pursuing? Wish a central data bank was available for all these researchers around the world to draw upon........foxglove
  6. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

has CFS.

And there arent many people who would put in 2 mill. thats a lot of money, good for him.

Rosie
  7. julieboo

julieboo New Member

Has anybody else read where Cher is donating all the profits from the sale of all her costumes, wardrobe, etc for her final tour, to epstein Barr research?
    The only thing I thought strange was the epstein barr title. I thought that was long gone in describing our disease. Wish I could talk to cher about her illness. Maybe now she will go out and talk about it. also intyerested to see what treatment she recieved and what is her health status now.
    Take care julie
  8. sunnyslumber

sunnyslumber New Member

just hope everyone got a chance to see this.
  9. Rene

Rene New Member

10. Rene

Rene New Member

just bumping for newbies. We need hope!
  11. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

We can a little more ground everyday. This new CfS research lab is such good news.

Yes, I wish Cher would speak out about Epstein Bar or CFS. I wander if she is over it or just managing it better. She look very exhausted in pictures I`ve seen of her. She looks tired and like she doesn`t feel that well. If she is donating all that money, that will really help.
  12. moxiepup

moxiepup New Member

My Dr told me that CEB was considered CFS now has anyone else heard this?

I have been Dx by a Rhuemy with Fibro and CEB. I have a lot of other stuff that goes with it, unexplained Automimmune Blisters of somesort which they can't explain.

Dupretyn's Contracture,Raynaud's,and Asthma and I now have Calcification of my Spine. I have a Cacium deposit 9.3cmm which is quite large between T11 & 12.

These discs are herniated big time, they won't touch it because they told me the risk of becoming a quad on operating in this area are very high., for now they want to leave everything alone which is o.k. by me as I already had a Laminectomy L4 & 5....OUCH

BTW I got all this within 3-4 mos., hmmmmmmmmm weird huh?

It's like I'm being attacked from every angle.

It is great news about the research, it seems as though there are hardly any places paying any attention to these DD's research wise, just pushing the drugs.

take care all,

gail

CE
  13. moxiepup

moxiepup New Member

14. Rene

Rene New Member

They have proven, and I think even a article is in the arcives on the site that CFS is not a form of EBV. I think CHer is in excellant shape!! I'd love to be at 50% of her strength.

I saw Cher on tv and she said she gives her money to help the kids who have that disease that make they look like they are 80 and stunted growth. She got into that because of the movie "Mask" with the deformed child
    Rene
  15. Rene

Rene New Member

bump
    rene
  16. Rene

Rene New Member

17. NevadaRN

NevadaRN New Member

Hi Rene-I am a RN with CFIDs. This news was GREAT! I couldn't believe it when I read about it. I live 20 min. From Reno. I am on the waitng list for The CFS clinic in Harbor Veiw WA.Affiliated with the Univ.of WA and funded in part by the NIH. Are you near RENO?
  18. Rene

Rene New Member

Hi, good for you! You must have been really reading the archives! yes I'm in N CAL so not to far. Also DR Peterson is in Incline Village and I tried to go to him but he was booked up for a yr.

Are you in a study in WA? I was flown to the NIH last year for Orthostatic intolerance and it was the best time I've ever had. YOu read people saying they wish they had a camp or place to go where everyone understands and they did!! A

Any new news on how the lab is coming along??
    Rene
  19. NevadaRN

NevadaRN New Member

I typed in key words to the search and found your post. I haven't heard anything new. I am planning to contact UNR medical school to learn more. No I am not in a study. I havent gotten my appointment date for WA clinic yet. I had a appointment with Dr.P at Lake Tahoe last year,but cancelled instead and went to Stanford. Now wish I hadn't gone there. Dr.P is very expensive as compare to the WA clinic. Best of luck to you.Will keep you informed it I learn anything.
  20. gang

gang New Member

hi,rene,thanks for such a great news.i got cfs in 1994 when 25,got better gradually since 1999,and made up my mind to devote rest life to this disease,now i'm a freshman of a medical college.