best nutritional advice

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jenn5, Sep 26, 2006.

1. jenn5

jenn5 New Member

I wanted to share some stuff I've found with all of you. Some of us know that what you eat is the most important aspect of healing. I've found the most truth to be in the philosophy of the Cookbook 'Nourishing Traditions', along with the website of the Weston A. Price foundation.

This is all based on a series of studies a dentist named Weston A. Price did in the 1930s. He went around the globe, looking for groups of people living outside the reaches of modern times. Those groups of people who were isolated from modernization had great health, and immunity to virtually all disease.

Those similar tribes who lived nearby, who were reached by modern people by new roads and railroads, and ate mainly modern food- white bread, sugar, canned goods- were struck down by tuberculosis, rampant tooth decay, some of the children had severe arthritis, and birth deformities. The most striking part of his book ('Nutrition and Physical Degeneration') were the photographs. The isolated peoples had broad faces with perfect teeth. Those living even an hour away who ate modern food had narrow, underformed faces, crooked teeth, and tooth decay.

This way of eating is not basaed solely on the research of one man. It recognises that we have lost all idea of what is good for us. With all the low-fat, and following low- carb craze, we have become afraid of food. The Nourishing Traditions cookbook tells you how to prepare all types of food properly (except the sugary, highly processed kind).

It has information you probably haven't heard before, like why it is important to soak, sprout or ferment your grains to rid them of antinutrients. This can be done by purchasing sourdough or sprouted bread (this one at the healthfood store), or soaking your whole grains in water plus a spoonful of yogurt before you eat them.

One book I have read recently about this topic is Real Food: what to eat and why by Nina Planck. It is excellent, and takes the fear out of eating. Another book I haven't read, but looks good is 'Traditional Food is your best medicine' by Ron Schmid.

A big source of information that you might want to check out is Westonaprice.org (informational only). It will challenge your views on diet, and I think you will be intruiged. There is something about it that makes me believe it is the truth, and all the other diet plans are lacking something. It is backed up by solid study, and just plain good sense! These are the things our ancestors have been eating- the ones who were vibrantly healthy- until some white men came and lured them with denatured food.

I am not a member of the Weston A. Price Foundation, I just have read about, and believe in it's principles.

So, if you venture to scan the website, I'd love to know what you think; and if you have already heard of this or subscribe to it's way of eating, please post.

Jenn

[This Message was Edited on 09/27/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 09/27/2006]
  2. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Eating more tradional is the way to go.

There was an article in our Sunday paper about chickens for pets. There is a trend for urban areas to have chickens for pets and for eggs. It says once you've eaten a fresh laid egg, theres no going back. Supposedly it's as easy to raise a few chickens as it is to raise cats.

So my son and I looked into this. We really wanted two or three chickens. But when we checked our homeowners association rules, they are not allowed! No surprise there.

Anyway my family and I try to eat as clean as possible. We have a veggie garden in summer. No chemical pesticides or fertilizers. And we buy cage free organic eggs and as much other organic foods as we can. No white breads or pasta. I love ezekeil bread. And they have so many other products as well.

thanks for posting
  3. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Thanks for the info

Hugs,

Nancy B
  4. jenn5

jenn5 New Member

Thank you both for the replies.

Mollystwin

I hear ya about the chickens. I've been trying to get some raw milk- real milk, but you have to jump through some hoops in my state to get it. In Michigan you have to buy a cow share, then you go out to the farm once a week to pick up your milk. The upside to this is that I'll be able to meet other people, and there's even classes on how to make cultured milk products.

I am intolerant to pasteurized milk, but my doctor says raw milk is ok for me. The health benefits of raw milk are also very impressive, besides the fact that I can eat it.

I eat Ezekiel bread too :). I'm glad we have the convenience of picking up some good foods at our stores.

I have always wanted to have a garden. I will have one someday! Until now, farmers markets for me.

Jenn
  5. jenn5

jenn5 New Member

6. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I posted a thread about the Paleo diet this past summer. It's along the same lines are you're talking about, Jenn. The only problem I had with it was that I don't seem to digest beef well and don't like fish. !! Don't you hate it when someone says they don't like a certain food when it's so good for them? As if eating something we don't necessarily crave is a hardship?

I agree with Mollystwin about Ezekiel bread. It's the only bread I eat.

Marta
  7. lisabk

lisabk New Member

It's my fave cookbook and book about nutrition.

The author heads up the Weston A. Price Foundation, which can be found here:

www.westonaprice.org

I have three chickens in my backyard; wouldn't dream of ever eating regular eggs from the store again. They smell terrible. I love my girls - Julia Child, Betty Friedan, and Emma Goldman.

The raw milk thing is difficult here, but I'm doing the next best thing - grassfed, low-pasteurized and non-homogenized whole milk for my kids.

I'm convinced that so much degenerative and chronic illness could be prevented with good, honest nutrition - low or no industrially processed food, whole ingredients, plenty of healthy fats, lots and lots of vegetables, and grassfed/pastured meats.

Unfortunately, Big Ag and Corporate Food have made sure that people will continue to eat what's bad for them...
  8. lisabk

lisabk New Member

... because people gotta eat!!
  9. marsupialmama

marsupialmama New Member

... I could have a couple of hens in my backyard, but I think city by-laws prohibit it and I have neighbours who are by-law enforcement freaks.

I don't see what the problem is, one or two hens would hardly cause a noise or smell problem. Even a rooster would be less annoying than a dog that barks incessantly (had neighbours with such a dog once, it was awful).

Grr.
  10. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Yes I am jealous that lisabk can have chickens and I can't! I agree that two or three hens would be less annoying than certain dogs!

Lisa, how many eggs do you get per week from your hens? Enough so that you never have to buy them? That would be my dream.