Best OTC Pain Med?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kitteejo, Jul 15, 2008.

1. kitteejo

kitteejo Member

What is the best OTC pain med. I've been taking 400mg of Advil three times a day with only a little relief. I really don't want a RX med yet. I've had this for over five years and the pain just hit me July 5th, go figure.

Showers, streching, rice bags are not working either.

2. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

Kitteejo ~ I've read some people get relief with OTC pain meds but I wasn't that lucky.

OTC pain meds did nothing for my FM pain so I finally had to ask for a prescription pain med.

The other thing I have found that helps my pain and muscles is swimming and floating in the pool.

Have you tried any other OTC meds besides Advil?

Take care, Susan
  3. You know the pharmacist told me you can take 800 mg of advil IT helps a bit.
  4. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

is Guaifenesin. It's the Guai Protocal. It's OTC and really targets pain like a vengeance. I highly encourage you to do a search on it in this board. Much has been written about it. For me, every pain med, whether OTC or prescription was only a bandaid and a lousy one at that.

You can also see for detailed info. I was VERY skeptical about trying, and it STILL worked! (IE, it's not a placebo.) Exercise really helped too after the Guai started helping---I starting very slowly and built up from there. My pain went from a 10+ to a now 0 to 2 on most days unless I really overdo it.

I've been there. I hope you feel much better.

Soft hugs,

5. dee3

dee3 New Member

I have had fibro for 25+ years (I am 39 now) I have found the absolute best is Excedrin Migraine for my aches and pains. It has ASA(aspirin) and Acetaminophen (Tylenol) plus caffeine. I take 2 of those about 5am then go back to bed for an hour before getting ready for work. It is only available in the US (I live in Canada) so if I run out I use Tylenol #1. It works quite well too but the codeine is very constipating. It is available without a prescription in Canada but not in US.