Best Probiotic with high CFU at best price?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hubcap_halo, Nov 1, 2009.

1. hubcap_halo

hubcap_halo New Member

I know this may be one of those things you simply can't skimp on, money wise.
    Any reputable doctors--or you--finding a great probiotic so one can get about 40+ billion CFU a day for a reasonable price? If there is a non-designer brand that is affordable and good I want to know about it.

I've taken Therbiotic Complete (25 Billion CFU) active cultures, many strains. About $28 for 60 caps.

I'm trying Ortho Biotic (20 Million CFU) many strains and it has Saccharomyces boulardii. About $36 for 60 caps.

VSL3 is good, but so expensive. Oi. All so expensive.

I see "Ultimate Flora" by Renew Life has 50 billion CFU. $56 from Vitamin Shoppe.

What are you taking?

2. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

I take Ultimate Flora with 50 billion CFU. I order enough at one time to make sure I get free shipping from the Vitamin Shoppe.

You can also save a little extra if you order when they have a discount offered.

I love this probiotic. I am on long term antibiotic therapy, so I take 4 caps daily.

If you are not on antibiotics, you could probably just take one daily.
  3. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I say make your own kefir. My system is responding positively to it and none of the best probiotics out there that I could find in all the health food stores worked like this. I even tried the ones that are in the little cups in the refrigerated section.

[This Message was Edited on 11/05/2009]
  4. dvdav2000

dvdav2000 New Member

Anybody ever try the "Pearls" style probiotic. no refrig. seemed decently priced at my Dr. office. The pearls hard shell casing ensures it gets to the lower gut area... just wondering.
  5. hubcap_halo

hubcap_halo New Member

That is quite a good idea!

I'm going to check out some recipes.
    I already have a lot of goat yogurt in my life
    which I love and I know has some pro biotics.

I'm curious if you use goat or cows yogurt or milk?
    Actually I have no idea how to make kefir so this question might not be relevant.

6. hubcap_halo

hubcap_halo New Member

I was looking at that pro biotic and impressed by the 50 billion CFU.
    It's the most probiotic I've seen for that price and it's enteric coated.

I liked teejkay's idea of making your own kefir too. Have to look into that.
  7. hubcap_halo

hubcap_halo New Member

I've tried those "pearls" I believe made by enzymatic therapy. They were revolutionary in that I think they were the first to make an "enteric coated" (hard shell) casing which supposedly ensures that the probiotic gets past your stomach acid and then releases in your gut.

But if I remember correctly the enzymatic therapy pearls offered 1 billion CFU and were about $30 for 30. that's not cheap for the low potency. Now there are so many that are enteric coated probiotics---like the Ultimate Flora mentioned above that has 50 Billion CFU (That amount that my doc said I should be taking daily) for $55.

Then again, I can't vouch for the quality of the different enteric coatings. Those pearls certainly seem like you could run then over with your car without busting them open.
  8. street129

street129 New Member

HOW DO U MAKE kefir, it sound so difficult. what to buy, what to do, i have candida can i use milk, and what kind
  9. vickiw

vickiw Member

I take Swanson's Ultimate Probiotic formula - it's the best I've tried. $14.99 for 30 capsules.

It has 66 billion organisms per capsule and 100 mg of prebiotic FOS to help probiotic organisms thrive.

According to the web site, taking it with food will raise the stomach pH level to a 3 or 4, which effectively allows the organisms to survive stomach acid and eliminates the need for an enteric-coating.

It works for me. Now I take it one week/month for maintenance. My digestive problems were relatively minor compared to some. Mostly due to taking antibiotics.