Best sleep position

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by klarry, Jun 25, 2003.

1. klarry

klarry New Member

I am wondering if there is a preferred sleep position for FM sufferers. I can't seem to retrain my body, and always seem to end up on my stomach. This is horrible for my lower back. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    On another note, I can't thank you all enough for the support of this web site. I am new to the message board, and can't believe it took me so long to find it. I feel like I finally have validation for my disorder. Just knowing that others can relate to my pain is so wonderful. Healthy people really don't get it. I was told by someone yesterday that this was all in my head, and that I should practice mind over matter. As if they knew...
    Try to have a joyous day, despite our aches and pains!
  2. ggks

ggks New Member

I have found, for me, that I use several pillows of different sizes. A square one to put between the knees, a large one behind my back and a couple in front of me to hug, it helps. I start out by laying on my left side because it seems to help the feeling of heart burn. If I don't fall asleep in that position I usually turn over to the right side and really try to relax by taking deep breaths and wiggling my toes. I find the pillows are a real help.
  3. LSLE

LSLE New Member

Hi,

I simply cannot sleep on my back. I have to have all my weight off of my pressure points. I'm a stomach sleeper, mostly. Is this pretty common?
  4. Lynna62

Lynna62 New Member

This is a highly variable subject and I'm sure everyone has their favorites. I usually go from sleeping on one side to the other. One thing I learned the hard way is to keep myself from curling into a fetal position. If I do this I wake up in agony (I must tense up when I do this).

I try to keep my extremities bent only slightly and focus on relaxing my muscles as I'm trying to go to sleep. I use a pillow in front of my upper body, close to my chest and then I lay my arms on it being careful to only bend them slightly.

I also use a neck roll pillow which helps alot.

If I had a king-size bed so that I had the room, my favorite position would be on my back, propped up at a 45 degree angle, with pillows under each arm and a pillow under my knees. I used to be a stomach sleeper too until I had back surgery in 1993 and had to learn to sleep on my back.
  5. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

I sleep on a couch so don't have to worry about rolling on to my stomach. beds don't have enough give for me. usually fall asleep on my left side with a pillow for my head and another one to keep my arm elevated. With my left side hurting so much right now i don't sleep really good on either side. i usually wake up in the morning on my back....SueF
  6. IowaMorningGlory

IowaMorningGlory New Member

I haven't slept in a bed for over 6 months. I just can't do it. The couch is way more comfortable.

I also start on my side and end up on my back. Pillow under my or between my knees, pillow in front of me (when on my side) and the perfect pillow under my head. It is just the right softness.

Take care and Kitten Hugs,
    Blessed Be,
    Laurie
  7. judieann

judieann New Member

Hello, I sleep on my right side and try to have a pillow between my knees for support. I have such a bad back, its nice to have this web-site knowing others are in the same pain as I am. My day bed works good for me. Jude
  8. jinlee

jinlee Member

The few hours I do catch are in the recliner. Sleeping on the pillow-top type tempurpedic mattress is okay sometimes with about four pillows and tossing and turning.

In fact, I have pretty much worn out the recliner as I have been sleeping in it mostly for three years due to bilateral shoulder surgeries, with clavicle excisions, serious back problems, etc. Laying down is almost impossible even with pain meds. If I lay on my stomach, my ribs hurt too bad. I take three Flexeril at night so I don't wake up in the morning feeling like I am all tied up in knots.

It must be nice to be normal and be able to sleep restfully and without pain. I guess we have to just do the best we can. I wish we were able to sleep in a weightlessness environment, just floating around. At least is sounds relaxing!

Well, sweet dreams to all.....
    [This Message was Edited on 01/26/2007]
  9. my best sleep position is on my back.

i only have one pillow for my head,it isnt bulky,its quite thin really.i put a thermol blanket over my pillow and this warms my neck and spine.

i put a pillow under my knees and this is a bit bulky.i sleep in a double bed,all on my own.i like lots of room haha,so ive also put a pillow on the other side of the bed,just incase my body roams about while im sleeping.that way my legs will also be supported on the other side of the bed too.

i used to wake up on the other side of the bed and not be supported by pillows,then my spine was in agony.so put pillows on the unused side of the bed,just incase your body wanders around while asleep.

kind regards
    fran