Best Supplement For Depression?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pat460, Apr 22, 2007.

1. pat460

pat460 New Member

Hey There,

I'm looking for a good alternative to prescription antidepressants. What all have you tried? How long did you try it and how well did it work? How bad was your depression? Did you eventually have to go on a prescription AD anyway?

Need some ideas to take to my doctor. I have FM(and CFS I think) and bad back problems--I think dealing with the constant pain is the cause of my depression. I really want to get off this stuff. I don't like some of the side effects at all. Please help me out you guys.

Thanks, Pat
  2. clerty

clerty New Member

St Johns wort, valerian root, sam-e,skull cap,Kava kava.
  3. kbak

kbak Member

Hi Pat,
    If you are on antidepressants right now, don't go off cold turkey. Way to dangerous. There are many things out there that are natural, BUT, you need someone who is trained in that area to guide you.

Your not going to find to many docs that are going to embrace taking natural antidepressants. Your best bet is a very good Naturopath. Pain can certainly cause your depression. It's not just getting on some natural item and bingo you feel better.

It really is changing your whole lifestyle. We always look for the quick fix, :) but it takes work and time. I had to change my whole diet. Learn about detoxing. Learn about supplements. Find some type of exercise that I could do without more problems, ect.

The wonderful thing about the internet is that the info is out there. The groups are out there. Your life can get better. Wishing you better days!

kbak
  4. pat460

pat460 New Member

for the replies. I'm taking a list to my doc next week to get some input.

I really do appreciate you all you know!

Pat