Best supplements to take for excessive inflammation

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chelz, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Chelz

Chelz New Member

My integrative doc and accupuncturist both say that inflammation in our bodies is a part of FM.

So far, my doc gave me a short pamphlet on an anti-inflammatory diet, not much info. Also, she gave me Lovaza which is a prscription strength Omega 3 supplement, she wants me to take 4 grams of the Omega 3 (large amount) everyday.

Other than that, I have no idea how to reduce inflammation in the body. I should have asked more questions, but am so tired of going to doctors I just feel burned out from it.

I only know the basics about inflammation for now. I did some research on the internet and ordered a book about inflammation and some receipes to make.

I don't know where to begin. I would have to change my entire diet. Does anyone know how inflammation could really contribute to FM? You hear so many theories about FM, such as adrenal fatigue, poor absorbption problems, leaky gut syndrome.

Actually, my doctor thinks I do have the leaky gut and has me on Nystatin and a probiotic as well. So tired of taking about 15 different supplements everyday, but one thing is for sure, I know I don't follow any kind of anti-inflammatory diet.

Even though I do take a lot of supplements, I would add another one that would help with this inflammatory problem. Any suggestions? Hugs to you all, Chelz.
  2. place

place New Member

I eat fish, pineapple, blue berries, strawberries, sweet potatos with cinnamon, broccoli.

Eating these types of food really helped me get rid of some of the Inflamation.
  3. tansy

tansy New Member

the modern western diet is considerd proinflammatory and too high in omega 6 hence the improvements many experience when taking fish oil. Gapsych was right to point out the risks of toxins; we need to choose good quality and safe fish oil supps.

From the diet channel

**Anti-Inflammatory Diet

Inflammation is a set of symptoms that includes pain, swelling, heat and redness of an affected organ or tissue. It's the way the body's immune system responds to attack, infection or injury. The immune system response to an unsatisfactory diet can lead to chronic inflammation of various body systems, leading to conditions such as arthritis and various auto-immune diseases like lupus. Recently there has been an increased focus on diets and lifestyle plans that seek to end the cycle of inflammation and its deleterious consequences.

Foods that fight inflammation

A typical anti-inflammatory diet focuses on creating anti-inflammatory prostaglandins instead of pro-inflammatory prostaglandins. Prostaglandins are hormones produced by the body whose function is to regulate the body's inflammatory response. We produce these hormones from the fats we ingest as part of our diets, and it's been found that different types of fat result in the production of different types of prostaglandins. One key part of an effective anti-inflammatory diet is to ingest only ""good"" fats and avoid ""bad"" ones.

1. The good fats - ones you should eat

Omega-3 Fatty Acids, found mainly in cold-water fish like mackerel, salmon, sardines, anchovies, and herring. The oils of wild-caught fish contain a significantly higher proportion of Omega-3 than the oils of farm-raised fish. Other sources of Omega-3 are nuts and seeds. These vegetable sources include walnuts, brazil nuts, and almonds along with pumpkin and sunflower seeds.

2. The bad fats - ones you should avoid

Polyunsaturated and partly hydrogenated fats and oils lead to the synthesis of pro-inflammatory prostaglandins and so should be eliminated from the diet. It's not easy to avoid these ""bad fats,"" as they are found in most processed foods. Trans-fats should be strictly avoided; this can be done by using olive oil instead of margarine and shortening. Olive oil contains Omega-9 essential fatty acids which work in concert with Omega-3 EFAs and increase its benefits to the body.

3. Other foods good for preventing inflammation

A number of other foods have anti-inflammatory qualities and should be part of the diet. These foods contain high levels of vitamin A, vitamin C, and vitamin E:

Fruits and Vegetables -- blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, kiwi fruit, peaches, mango, cantaloupe melon, apples, carrots, squash, sweet potato, spinach, kale, collard greens, broccoli, cabbage, and Brussels sprouts.
    Grains -- lentils, chick peas (garbanzo beans), brown rice, wheat germ, and non-instant oatmeal.

Two other essential components of an effective anti-inflammatory diet are Ginger and Turmeric, known since ancient times for their ameliorative properties.

Feel the benefit of the Anti-Inflammatory Diet

People who have suffered any of the wide range of symptoms linked with inflammation can feel real benefits by switching to an anti-inflammatory diet. Among the positive changes you may experience are:

Reduction in joint pain due to Arthritis.
    Improved digestion.
    Lower blood cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
    Relief from symptoms of Depression and Bi-polar Disorder.

An anti-inflammatory diet follows principles of good nutrition by reducing intake of unhealthy fats, and increasing consumption of healthy fats, fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. Even if you don't have any overt inflammation, the diet itself is healthy and will do its part to keep you healthy, too.**

I used boswellia for the inflammation related to neurophils. Two of the enzymes for sticky blood also helped with inflammation - bromelain and serrapeptase. I am currently using the latter because it's good for post surgical inflammation and to reduce scar tissue which can cause problems following the particular surgery i had.

there's a lot of supps and herbs that can help with inflammation but it may take a bit of trial and error to find the ones that work best for you.

tc, tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 03/17/2008]
  4. willas

willas New Member

The 3 I wouldn't be without & have had great success with are ginger, papaya & bromelain - all come in tablets or capsules. All 3 support the digestive system but are also great anti-inflammatories & have antibiotic & antiviral properties among others. Bromelain assists in the repair of muscle tissue as well. I've also found it's a great protocol for treating seasonal allergies. Papaya & bromelain are safe but the usual precautions should be followed, don't take if you're pregnant, if you're taking medications besure to check with your doctor first, etc. Ginger is also a natural blood thinner so if you have clotting issues, you should avoid it. If taking it, it should be discontinued at least 2 weeks prior to any surgery.
    Fenugreek is good for soothing digestive inflammation & can be added to teas or foods as a spice.
    Dairy, corn, wheat, processed foods & sugar along with red meat are the most common foods that cause inflammation.
    It takes time, lots of trial & error & lots of tweaking to find what works for you. Just don't make too many changes at once & most important, don't get discouraged.
  5. Spinetti

Spinetti New Member

OmegaBrite claims to be the "Gold Standard" in anti-inflammatory fish oils – with a price to match.

GNC has a similar product, Triple Strength Fish Oil, which is more affordable. Both are tested for mercury and other heavy metals.
  6. shelbo

shelbo New Member

and search anti-inflammatory diet loads of info comes up. There is also an inverted pyramid which gives a visual of how the diet should look. HTH Shelbo
  7. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

is also a very good anti-inflammatory. I make a 'tea' with ginger and turmeric - it helps my digestive tract.

8. nink

nink New Member

She knows a LOT about supplements.

I just found a relevant post titled "Herbs to Reduce Inflammation" ; the person who began the thread was darude
    The post was started in 2005 but the latest addition was just a couple of days ago and it was by Jaminhealth. Use the search engine to find it, or just go back a couple of pages. Good stuff in there. I'm going to copy it as a document for my future reference.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/04/2009]