Best thing/home remedy for sunburn ??

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by tandy, Jul 8, 2008.

1. tandy

tandy New Member

Hi guys~
    you'd think I'd know better being 45 yrs old but I don't :)
    I spent almost 7 hrs in the HOT/hazy sun today~
    Temps in the low 90's.
    I took the boys to a water park and boy was it fun/relaxing. Waaaaaaaaayyyyy too much sun.
    Does anyone have any tips on soothing a sunburn?? an hopefully prevent peeling.
    thanks much
  2. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

The aloe plant itself is prickly on the outside, sort of like a smooth cactus, but when you split it, the gel inside if very soothing - sticky but soothing. We always try to keep one living for all kinds of burns, include the sun kind.
  3. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Yep, I think aloe is the answer. We have the Banana Boat Soothing Aloe After Sun Gel (not the lotion, but the gel), it is very cooling and feels great on sunburned skin. Hope you get some relief! Kim :)
  4. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

that is made out of aloe and lanolin and it works fantastic! I'm blonde so I can get a bad burn in a matter of being in the sun in one hour. The cream is called Horsemen's Dream ---- Aloe Vera Vet. Cream. My neighbor always brings me back at least four jars when she visits her mother in Colorado. This stuff is superb for really dry skin in the winter as well.

Also, at night put some vinegar (generous amount -- couple of cups) into your tub of cool water. It will really help take the sting out of the burn and help you sleep much better -- you won't smell great but you will feel better. And yes, take ibuprofen or aspirin.
  5. tandy

tandy New Member

Thank you all

The aloe is helping alot.
    I had to run out and buy some aloe gel and another product I saw called soothing/cooling cucumber gel.
    between the two,... its not that bad.

I even used a sunscreen with a spf of 30 but I still burned. 6-7 hrs in the sun is just way too long~

Thank God the kids are'nt as badly burned as I am.(very mild)
    Thanks again for your ideas
  6. sisland

sisland New Member

Aloe Vera is wonderful isn't it!,,,I remember my Mom putting Noxzema skin care cream on us for sunburns,,,that seemed to work Pretty well,,,,,,Sis
  7. caffey

caffey New Member

Who can forget that famous blue jar and cold lotion? That was a staple in our house. I agree with aloe gel.
  8. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Sorry about your sunburn! Hope you feel better. This info is from

Unfortunately, there is no fast-fix sunburn treatment. Once sunburn occurs, you can't do much to limit damage to your skin. However, the following tips may reduce your pain and discomfort in the hours and days following sunburn:

Take anti-inflammatory medication, such as aspirin or ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, others), on a regular basis according to the label instructions until redness and soreness subsides.

Apply cold compresses — such as a towel dampened with cool tap water — to the affected skin. Or take a cool bath.

Apply a moisturizing cream, aloe or 1 percent hydrocortisone cream to affected skin. A low-dose (0.5 percent to 1 percent) hydrocortisone cream may decrease pain and swelling, and speed up healing.

Some dermatologists warn against using products that claim to relieve sunburn pain but may actually irritate your skin or cause an allergic reaction. These include topical "-caine" products, such as benzocaine.

Keep in mind that it may take four to six hours after sun exposure to know the full extent and severity of sunburn. If blisters form, don't break them. They contain your natural body fluid (serum) and are a protective layer. Also, breaking blisters slows the healing process and increases the risk of infection. If needed, you can lightly cover blisters with gauze.

Within a few days, your body will start to heal itself by getting rid of the top layer of damaged skin — the "peeling" process. Following this process, your skin may have an irregular color and pattern for a time.

Seek medical care for sunburn if:

Severe sunburn covers a large portion of your body with blisters
    Sunburn is accompanied by a high fever or extreme pain
    Severe sunburn doesn't respond to at-home care within a few days
  9. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

I just posted this on the FM board, but I don't think they read my stuff 'over there' *LOL*:

Does anyone feel perpetually sunburned? 07/09/08 02:44 PM

Lately I feel like I've just come in from being in the sun all day. I am out in the pool by 8:00 am and that is about the last my body sees of the sun until I leave work at 6:00 pm. I might spent up to an hour in the pool on the weekends, but I am rarely in the sun all day.

This just started a few weeks ago. I remember reading a post regarding facial flushing and this is similar except it feels like I been out in the sun and it is all over my body. It drives me nuts.