Best Toilet Seat? Ideas?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Cromwell, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

This may seem like a mad question, but should we be using the soft toilet seats? I just recalled my leg pain got so bad after moving into this new house with wooden seat(new too). My old place I had cushioned seats. As most of us are women and we "sit" I was wondering if sitting presses on our stress "points" and makes things worse.

Any ideas or comments?

Happy 2006 Love Cromwell
  2. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

good question :)
    my current loo seats are wood and i bought them as when i moved in here there were black plastic ones and i never sat on anything COLDER in the middle of the night!!!

my step brothers mum uses a padded embroidered seat and when i looked at it i though ugh!!! but thats a personal taste matter but as for actually sitting on it i didnt want to get off!:)

the only thing that stops me from having one here is i am a germ freak and i cant think that with the seams how i would get it totally grem free.
  3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Yes I know that is an issue for me. I had some seam free ones and used Lysol spray cleaner, but my sister(a chemist) told me wood seats harbor more germs than any other.

Do you think they could be pressing on those stress points though?
    Crom
  4. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

thanks for that on wooden seats im off to re dettol them again :D

as for stress points/tender points i find it more when my ibs is active and im constipated but i think its to do with being trapped on the loo :)
    pain sears down the back of my leg and up my lower back. i never thought it may be linked to the loo seat but now you mention it i think a softer seat may help that.
  5. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

nyone else have a theory or padded seat???
  6. dononagin

dononagin New Member

tried the padded seats.. seemed like they kinda wore out after a while.. Last time I replaced our toilet I got a Higher one.. that seemed to help more than anything!
  7. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

Ron had a cheap plastic one in here, you know, the flimsy bendy kind. And it had kind of sharp feeling edges that dug in the wrong spots. hated the darn thing.

Mine are both enamel on wood (which eliminates the porous element). I prefer a wood toilet seat, they tend to be more comfy. I don't believe they harbour more bacteria. Plastic is the worst. I know this issue has been batted about for years, esp. when it comes to wood vs. plastic cutting boards.

Wood may be more porous, that's the argument, but wood contains it's own antibacterial properties to protect itself from the elements, most plants do. Just think of those Natura cloths, stores sell, that are made of wood fibre and you don't even have to use soap, case in point.

Jeanne
  8. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

they split and crack after awhile, and are the germiest option I can think of, since it's just a cheap plastic vinyl casing over foam, ack.

The may be comfy for a bit, maybe, if they don't have seams that dig, but they start making that phhhhhht sound when you first sit. Very appealing.

Jeanne
  9. victoria

victoria New Member

they did find that wooden cutting boards had somethingnatural in them that inhibited germs, after they got us all to switch to plastic cutting boards that is...

so I would think wooden toilet seats would probably be better the older it got and the plastic rubbed off... unless we absorb it as it rubs off? great - another worry, LOL!

I always liked the padded vinyl ones (warmest in winter!) but they never seem to last long so finally got oak ones...

but I sure would like a shorter toilet overall as I'm just under 5'2" and ours (made in early 70s) seem rather 'tall'. My heels don't touch the floor easily/comfortably, which does cause blood circulation problems if I'm 'stuck' there.

If I ever get to replace them, I know I'm getting a 'lowest-to-the-floor' style!

all the best,
    Victoria

10. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

You know, it could be that the size answer may well be it, both height and I notice that this seat is relaly too small for this shape toilet-it is a round seat yet the toilet is more oval, so this may be the problem. I,m tall so also maybe I should get a taller toilet, though I sympathise with shorter people using taller ones, and have always had my kids use a little stool(excuse the pun!) to put their feet on as I heard years ago that dangling legs is really bad for position of the intestine.

Thanks for your help, also the heads up on the wood seats being OK.
    Cromwell
  11. victoria

victoria New Member

not meaning to be gross, but from what I've read, the lower the better supposedly... somewhere there are 'stools' mf'd that fit around the toilet to 'fix' one's posture to a more 'natural' one --

the idea being that in nature we'd be crouching, not in a chair-sitting position.

Supposed to be true for child-bearing too... so, letting gravity help in both cases, maybe?

V
  12. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I often fall the last 6 inches done to the toilet and it breaks my fall.It's also a lot warmer in the middle of the night.Linda
  13. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

here we are discussing loo seats and germ potential and no one even flinches.
    you guys are so cool xx
  14. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Great set of answers, I also recall that pine seats are naturally warmer, plus I do agree that we should be crouching more-that's right. I'm certainly going to change the shape to an oval that fits the bowl as right now, I just think the round one is overhanging inwards and just too small and pressing right on those tender spots.
    Thanks again and Smiffy, (you are surely a Brit with that name)I do think this would be the ONLY place to ask these questoions and they can be important. Love Cromwell
  15. JLH

JLH New Member

My idea for the best toilet seat is ........

one that would put itself down automatically followed by the lid!

Sorry, guys, but there is nothing more ugly than seeing an exposed toliet bowl! That is why you keep the seat down as well as the lid closed!

And ... I feel that all toliet seats are uncomfortable!!
  16. lin-z

lin-z New Member

thanks for the "potty humor" I must say, we moved to a new house and the hardest thing for me when i first noticed the symptoms of FM, was trying to get off the teeny tiny low to the ground toilet seat. My legs are so weak and I would end up falling on the seat and praying I wouldnt have to call my husband or kids for a "help up" ARGHHH
    So we went out and bought a "high-boy" and that made a huge diff...regardless of seat :)[This Message was Edited on 01/03/2006]