best treatment for fibro?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by charlenef, Aug 11, 2008.

1. charlenef

charlenef New Member

is there any one thing that help you the most im going to pain managment and i want to be prepared shots? drugs?
  2. Honora88

Honora88 Member

Please check it out!
  3. katiebug61

katiebug61 New Member

I think each person has a different need for treatment. What works for one, doesn't necessarily work for the next person. It seems to be a very individual thing. When I have a flare and just can't function, I call my Dr office and go in for a Toradol(sp) shot. It helps for a day or two. The pain never totally goes away, it is more managable. To me, it seems to be a trial and error situation to find what works!
    Hang in there and don't give up!
  4. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

my back and neck only lasted for a short time.
  5. jenn_c

jenn_c New Member

It is right that everyone experiences Fibro differently. Here is what I take though and hope it helps you:
    Lyrica 450 mg daily
    fentynl- 100 mcg every 72 hours
    celebrex 400 mg
    celexa- 40 mg
    xanax- 1mg prn

6. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

There is no BEST treatment for FM. Everyone is different and responds to different treatments and therapies. Basically what you need to do is do some research into what the available treatments, medications, supplements and so on are available and then talk with your doctor about what approach to start with.

Don't be discouraged if the first thing you try doesn't work. It can take time and a lot of trial and error before you find a treatment regiment that works for you.

This board is a good place to start researching possible treatments.

I take a combination of conventional meds but there are lots of things to choose from. It has taken me a long time to find a treatment that works for me but I am currently on a regime that lets me have a semblance of a life and not be bedridden.
  7. charlenef

charlenef New Member

although i am not new at this im starting from srcatch again. ive been in bed for over 4 yrs and im trying a new approach. i cant take any pills they bother my stomach so it is tough. i do what i can as far as stretching everyday i use cal mag but i cant take that everyday hoping for shots of some sort i just really want a dr that gets it. im the one living in this body and if i say i cant do it that is what i mean. i have tried everything and anything to feel better but im in the same boat. thanks again charlene
  8. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

You've been in bed for over 4 years?? You poor thing!!!
    When I think I'm bad, I hear that and it breaks my heart.

I agree with everyone else and would add one more thing. Not only is everyone different in what works, but individually I think what works for us changes periodically - depending on...well who the heck knows what.

I do feel better when I CAN do light walking. Or maybe I walk when I feel better? I have to take pain medication. Maybe you can find some medication that doesn't have whatever it is that bothers your tummy in it. I take something that has no Tylenol or aspirin in it. (oxycodone, roxycodone is actually the name I think)

Sometimes I'd love a shot - but they'd have to 'shoot' my whole body!
    Besides my pain medication I also take Soma, a muscle relaxer and was recently given Klonapin, which does help relax me. I was given a nighttime "dose" (it's a very lose dose to begin with) from my rheumy, but my PCP thought it might help during the day. So I break it in half and take it during the day and it does help on really bad days.
    When I'm in a lot of pain, my whole body tenses and I'm sure stresses out, so I guess it makes sense that the Klonapin would help. (It's an anti-anxiety - wasn't sure why it was being prescribed actually)

My pain mgmt dr. (only saw once) recommended yoga, flexiril and anti-inflammatories. THEN in the same sentence she agreed that anti-inflammatories won't help unless you have inflammation (I don't and am allergic anyway), Flexiril doesn't do squat for me and yoga..well I bet it's fabulous - if I could just get on the floor and do it!!

One SMALL thing I have done recently is give up Aspartame. NO idea if it has actually helped since I have a huge additional stressor added to my life(husband lost his job), but I do think it has helped some.

It's all such trial and error for each person.
    I hope you find something to give you some relief and SOON!

9. munch1958

munch1958 Member

Check out Dr Lowe's website and Dr Kent Holtorf's website. There are also articles in the library here.

When I'm on the right dose of compounded T3 I don't have that flu-like feeling. I don't hurt all over either.
  10. charlenef

charlenef New Member

i just really want someone to listen and not judge with their dr text book when they are not living it.before i was sick i worked out, my house was the cleanest house out of anyone i knew and i ran my own daycare so im not lazy.when the drs try and over ride me it makes me feel like they just think i want to be like this.who would choose this life? no me or any of you sorry i started to rant hugs charlene
  11. snlittlered

snlittlered New Member

My doctor put me on cymbalta and lyrica. They both help the pain and the depression I've gotten since having fibromyalgia. My doctor told me to get active, like walking or swimming. I don't have a pool but walking helps. I take a sleeping aid to help me sleep also. Take centrum silver too. I rest when I get tired, but only for 1 hour.
  12. charlenef

charlenef New Member

my d is 25 i know low im working on that i really dont know what my thyroid is suppost to be but they have checked a number of x and said it was fine.

my being in bed all the time has to do with the pain i feel in my back when i sit. if i sit or stand to long my muscles then contract and make me shake in return that makes me weak.

i do stretch everyday x2 i get up every hour i lay for 10 to 20 min at a time i usually clean or cook while im up i just always need to be close to my bed so when i get the feeling i need to lay down or suffer for a month or 2

i cant tell you how many xs ive done that. at night i get up to walk off the stiffness otherwise i cant sleep im in too much pain. i just ordered d ribose to try and help also the 3 iron ivs i just had has help some