Best type of cane to use for fibro

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by VickyB, Mar 14, 2003.

1. VickyB

VickyB New Member

My legs are getting to the point that I need to buy a cane but I do not know which one works the best. I have pain in hips, knees and ankles. Could someone let me know what works best for them.
    The forearm cane looks like it would be the most comfortable and easiest to use, has anyone had any luck with this type??
    Thanks, Vicky
  2. Jackie41

Jackie41 Member

The forearm crutch is definitely the best. I started out with one regular cane but both legs need support and you can't support both with one stick. I went to two regular canes after that but they require way too much arm effort because they're not stable. I've been walking with 2 forearm crutches since last fall and I love them. I've posted several messages recently which give much more detail about my experiences with crutches. Just put jackie41 in the search thing and you'll see them all. There aren't a lot of crutch-users on this board but there are a few so please let me know what you think. If you try them, by all means tell me all about your experience with them. I'll keep checking this message looking for your reply. We can keep up a running conversation if you like. Since there are so few of us, we need to share info.

Lots o' luv

Jackie
  3. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

My doc told me to get one of those 4 footed canes because they offer greater stability. I had one teensy-weensy problem - I kept tripping over the feet. So I am now using a regular cane on one side, and either my husband or my dog on the other. Probably the best thing for you to do is to go to a medical supply house and try out the various options. Then you can tell your doctor what you believe will work the best and have him write a prescription for it.
    Kathryn