Best Water Filters?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Plantscaper, Jul 9, 2003.

1. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

According to Teitelbaum, we need to have water filters..to filter out parasites among other pollutable particulate matter that contaminates our health...

The one he suggests is Multipure..has anyone used this one? If not, what other water filters are considered the best ones?

Thanks for any info provided..
    Plantscaper
  2. klutzo

klutzo New Member

In the kitchen, we use the under the sink mounted, 6 month filter by G.E. Called the "GE SmartWater".
    In the bathroom shower I use a chlorine filter that lasts about a year, made by Nature's Products. I used to be able to use a pool testing kit to check to see if the filters were not removing chlorine and needed changing, but now our water utility has changed to a different substance from chlorine, so I just have to guess at it.
    I have heard that the reverse osmosis units are by far the best, but a friend who has one said it tripled her water bill. Here in Florida, where water is outrageously expensive,that would be a major problem.
    I think any filter is better than none, but it may be worth it to you to have your water tested first, to see which types of problems you have, and then go from there.
    Klutzo
  3. dojomo

dojomo New Member

....... I use Britta.... klutzo is right. Anything is better than nothing... Hope this info helps...

Advantage/Disadvantage Comparison

ADVANTAGES OF GRANULATED ACTIVATED CARBON (GAC) / CARBON BLOCK
    Removes chlorine, taste and odor, and chemicals.Carbon block, if pore size is 3 micron absolute or less, can remove cysts.

DISADVANTAGES OF
    GRANULATED ACTIVATED CARBON (GAC) / CARBON BLOCK
    Does not remove heavy metals (carbon block can remove un-dissolved lead)Bacteria can multiply in filter (silver is often used, but is considered a toxin by the EPA and as such must be registered with them).Limited life because of dual duty - chlorine and chemicals.Carbon block filters can clog with sediment long before filter is exhausted.

ADVANTAGES OF REVERSE OSMOSIS
    Removes chlorine, taste and odor, and chemicals (with carbon pre-filter or post-filter).Removes heavy metals, such as lead.Can remove cysts - but not recommended.

DISADVANTAGES OF REVERSE OSMOSIS
    Slow - 2 hours to make 1 gallon of treated water.Wastes water - 4 - 5 gallons of water go down the drain to treat 1 gallon.Removes healthful minerals, such as calcium and magnesium.Removal of these minerals leaves a flat tasting water.Bacteria can foul membrane.Expensive to maintain.

ADVANTAGES OF DISTILLATION
    Removes chlorine, taste and odor, and chemicals (with carbon post-filter).Removes heavy metals, such as lead.Kills bacteria and cysts.

DISADVANTAGES OF DISTILLATION
    Slow - 5 hours to make 1 gallon of treated water.Wastes energy - uses 25 cents of electricity to treat one gallon.Removes healthful minerals, such as calcium and magnesium.Removal of these minerals leaves a flat tasting water.Requires frequent cleaning of tank, frequent replacement of carbon post filter
  4. 600

600 New Member

I wonder if the silver impregnated carbon filters like NSA sells could cause health problems?
  5. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

from all who have responded..Shamelessly bumping for more responses ...Has anyone used the Multipure system?
  6. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

7. JP

JP New Member

Hello Plantscaper,

I have used multipure for about 15 years now. I love it! I have one that can sit on a countertop by the sink or be mounted underneath. I buy a new filter every year. The water is better than any bottled water I have ever bought. The unit is expensive. I think it's over $300 and the filters are over $30. Don't quote the prices...just a guess. I have also tried water from other filters. I am sold on my multipure.

Hope this helps,
    Jan
  8. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

I really appreciate your response to my question..I was, recently, told you need to put one on the showerhead, too..
    as you absorb it thru the skin..could get expensive with all that..but definitely need one for drinking water..

Thanks again,
    Plantscaper
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It has two filters and an ultraviolet light which the water must travel through. I had it hooked up for the fridge too, even though the fridge has its own little filter.

I am considering an ozonator which purifies water and can be used to clean fruit. You can also put it onto the bath, using a different attachment to ozonate the bath water which is supposed to be healthful, kind of like Shirl's hydrogen peroxide soaks.

Love, Mikie
  10. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

Thanks so much for the above responses..I have done a little reading on the subject, and wondered if anyone has used the Aquasana, which is rated as just below the Multipure, but is a lot more economical and you can get a showerhead attachment with it, as well..

And it is sickening to read how much pollution is in our drinking water..including fluoridation and chlorination..

Plantscaper
  11. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Shalom, Shirl
  12. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I just ordered a shower filter that is identical to the one on the Aquasana site. It also has a built-in L.E.D. light that tells you when a refill is needed, plus a free refill. I'm such a ditz these days, between the fog from FM and mentalpause, that I need to be TOLD when to change that filter! I'm all for filtering our water. Shame on the authorities for forcing these chemicals down our throats.

I remember the first time I went to the big city and stayed in a motel, the water in the bathroom made my face break out in a horrible, painful rash. It had to be the chlorine. I think farm water is probably better than treated water.

Marilyn :)
  13. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

I was reading and reacting to your post at the same time you posted to me...coincidence, I think not..

I have rashes and exzema, frequently..but did not know chlorine caused this..

You said "it was identical" to the one on the Aquasana site, so is it an Aquasana? I found a package deal for the kitchen and shower filters..

Plantscaper
    [This Message was Edited on 07/12/2003]
  14. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

That chlorine is really nasty for some people. I think there are many people that have to use bottled water to wash in. The filter I ordered just has a number, but the pics were similar, so I was going to assume they were the same, but I might be wrong! This just might be one of my better investments. Which I would have realized all this sooner.

Marilyn :)
  15. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

is suppose to have a comparison of water filters in the January issue, 2003, which I want to look at before I make a decision..if anyone else is interested..

Plantscaper
  16. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

Hi Mikie,

Isn't the purpose of ozonators to put oxygen into the water? Does it purify the water, as much as, the water filters made for that purpose? Just need to check out all the options...

Plantscaper