Best ways to boost immune system???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shanwill, Oct 11, 2006.

1. shanwill

shanwill Member

Hi everyone,
    It's not even winter yet and I seem to be getting hit after hit with bugs and colds.
    My immune system is very low and I need to boost it as best I can.

Any suggestions?? Drugs, vitamins, supplements, foods etc..

Thanks
    Shannon
  2. nixon

nixon New Member

Hi, I'm new to the board but I'm battling Fibro. My suggestion would be to look in to the various Transfer Factors, they are for boosting immunity! I'm sure there must be other things also...... Good Luck! Nixon
  3. shanwill

shanwill Member

thanks nixon,
    any others???
  4. suz45

suz45 New Member

Shannon:

are you taking any vitmin C, it is recommended for CFS/FMS, I know my sister takes Echinea, however I recently have read that it is not as effective as previously thought to be. Also for your digestive health to keep the nasty bugs away, I would say a Probiotic as well, which conatin the healthy bacteria our intenstines need for nutrtional absorption and keeping the number of bad bacteria down.

Our food for the most part is overprocessed these days.

They sell it on this site, make sure you buy a good product.

Ester C is also more gentle on the stomach.

Suz45
  5. suz45

suz45 New Member

bump

There must be more great ideas out there in our little world...

Suz45
  6. suz45

suz45 New Member

BUMPING....

SUZ45
  7. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

ProBoost sold here at ProHealth and Samucol Elderberry extract.
  8. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I'm currently seeing a chiropractor who has me taking Immuplex and Fortil B12 by Standard Process. I think both are helping my immune system (I started to get sick yesterday morning with sore throat etc. and was actually better by last night - that never happens to me, when I get sick I'm usually sick for weeks).

I've been taking sublingual B12 for quite awhile, and before that the B12 shots, and never noticed much difference but kept doing it because blood tests showed my B12 was very very low. Since starting the Fortil B12 about 5 or 6 weeks ago, I think my energy has increased, still not what a normal healthy person would have, but definitely better than what it was. I think it is also helping my immune system.

Try adding 10,000 IU a day of Vitamin A from fish oil (not beta carotene) as a maintenance dose. I believe this helps the thymus which is essential for immune health. My doctor told me that at the first sign of getting sick to increase it to 30,000 IU a day, only for the first few days till I started to get better as this would be too much to take on a regular basis.

And there's the usual suspects to try: vitamin C, zinc, zinc lozenges, garlic. Herbal Resistance Liquid by Source Naturals is good for fighting colds and flu - I found I had to take twice the recommended dose but it did help.

A good homeopathic remedy is Alpha CF. Again, I would take twice the recommended dose and it helps the most if you take it at the first sign of getting sick.

Yian ciao(sp?)(sounds like "yin chow" and carried by most health food stores) is a good Chinese herbal remedy. It used to work quite well for me, I took it for several years when sick, but can no longer tolerate it as now it gives me diarrhea, but my brother swears by it.

But for me, right now, the Immuplex and Fortil B12 seem to be helping a lot.

Good luck ---

Mary
  9. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Look into ProBoost. It's easy to find info on. I've given it to a whole bunch of friends without CFS and they all swear by it. I am less likely to get actively "sick", but I think that it is helpful to me too.

I'm not suggesting that you use alcohol to treat colds, but if you're planning to have a drink anyway, this is what you might choose. Make some tea, add honey and bourbon. Sip slowly. It's a nice wintertime drink, especially if you're starting to feel sick.
  10. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

There is one more thing I'm taking: Beta 1,3/1,6-D Glucan (commonly known as beta glucan) by NOW brand. Here is what beta glucan is supposed to do:

"The carbohydrate polymers known as beta-1,3-d-glucans exert potent effects on the immune system - stimulating anti-tumor and antimicrobial activity, for example - by binding to receptors on macrophages and other white blood cells and activating them. Although beta-glucans are known to bind to receptors, such as complement receptor 3, there is evidence that another beta-glucan receptor is present on macrophages."

Mary