Better Care From Male or Female Doctors for FMS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kizzieface, Aug 23, 2008.

1. kizzieface

kizzieface New Member

I am wondering who is more understanding when it comes to patient care and fibromyalgia. I am about to look for another Dr. because the PCP I have now knows very little about FMS, and sometimes I feel as if I know more than him...
    Also has no clue that FMS involves chronic pain. Looks at me like crazy because I am 31 and "look healthy" yet in fetal position unable to move.

Anyone have an opinion on this? BTW, I have had many doctors, as most of us have, but all but one has been male.

All thoughts on this welcome. Thanks!

Peace Love & Health
  2. sweetbeatlvr

sweetbeatlvr New Member

had better luck with a woman.

saw 7 male doctors, before finally seeing a female nurse practioner.

she was the first one to *really* listen to me, and help.
  3. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I really feel you can't make that judgement. I have had some real losers who were women doctors as well as men.

I currently have a excellent doctor who is female but I don't feel gender is a reason to count a doctor out.

4. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

was a very kind, caring, sympathetic doctor who had absolutely *no idea* what to do for my FM, and wouldn't even consider giving me muscle relaxers or pain medication. All the sympathy in the world will not reduce a person's pain level.

My current FM doctor is a male rheumatologist, not quite as empathetic, but willing to actually treat my symptoms rather than just sympathize.

So in my opinion, it all comes down to the specific doctors themselves rather than male/female.

Best wishes,

BILLCAMO New Member

the gender of a Dr. for our DDs has no bearing. The toughest challenge is finding a good Dr. who believes our DDs are real and will work with us to do what can be done.

Another thing we have to watch out for are Drs. and Clinics that are more concerned about the "Almighty Buck".

Blessings ,

6. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

All my PCP doctors since I have been in the US have been female and they were all great with FM. The only male doctors I have had was 1 surgeon who was great about FM and my gynocologist who knows about FM but we haven't had any run ins about it.

7. kizzieface

kizzieface New Member

As a side note, I wanted to make sure readers understood my question. According to your experience which Dr, Male or Female gave you better care. I would never pick one Dr over another based strictly on gender. At this point I would let an ALIEN treat me if they were empathetic, knowllegable, and not prone to patronizing me. But one can hope!

Again, thanks for thoughts, I love these message boards!

8. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

For awhile I sought out female doctors, believing (wrongly I learned) that they would be more empathic. I had three bad ones in a row, and found myself missing my former doctor, a man, who, while ignorant about CFIDS, was at least willing to listen, admit his ignorance and was willing to learn.

But I currently have a female doctor who is more knowledgable than most and seems to take me seriously.

So it really is a toss-up - no gender has a lock on understanding these DD.

9. Malcolm82

Malcolm82 New Member

My PCP was a female and basically gave up after telling me to get more exercise, and that made me worse. She finally said with a giggle, "You probably know more about what is wrong with you than I do." That was the end of seeing her.

I had a bad female sleep doc and a bad male sleep doc. I say bad because even though they determined I did not have Narcolepsy, which is what they originally thought, they both couldn't find anything else wrong and thought I was a psychiatric case.

My psychiatrist is a male, and he is the one who finally proclaimed my problem wasn't psychiatric.

The doctor who is treating me now and who diagnosed me with CFIDS is a woman, and she definitely "gets it".

So my conclusion is that male or female doesn't matter. It is more about their dedication and ability to get to or want to get to the bottom of your condition.
  10. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I am really split on this one. For the most part, I usually try and see a female doctor if I can. My ob/gyn, internist, and dermatologist are all women. But my rheumatologist and gastro are men and I like, trust and respect them as well. Regarding fibro, my female internist and male rheumatologist have both been wonderful. But given my choice, I'll go for a female doctor first if they all have comparable recommendations and credentials.

[This Message was Edited on 08/26/2008]