Better on Antibiotics Question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Empower, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Empower

Empower New Member

Why is the pain less on antibiotics?

My sister in law and I both have fibro and feel no pain when on antibiotics

Gee, I almost felt "normal" on Tetracycline for a UTI
  2. Cinlou

Cinlou New Member

Yes... I know that feeling well......took doxyciloline and felt almost normal......Could be on to something ..also have a low temperature......feel ill when it is 99 degrees like feverish..hmmm?
  3. Empower

Empower New Member

There has to be some connection, just have to figure it out
  4. munch1958

munch1958 Member

I think the fatigue based illnesses are connected to chronic underlying infections. An infection is either
    viral, fungal and/or bacterial. In my case, I have infections of all 3 types because of the immune suppressive effects of Lyme Borreliosis.

I had done AVs and didn't get better.

Then I did AFs and didn't get better.

When I started treating all 3 types of infection opr bacteria, fungus and viruses I got way better.

If you get a chance watch the movie "Under Our Skin". There is a doctor in the movie that sums this all up nicely.
  5. gapsych

gapsych New Member

There are several other reasons to consider.

When you are taking an antibiotic it is because of some infection that is making you sick. When you are sick, your FM/CFS is worse. Once the antibiotic kicks in, you are not as sick and therefore your pain is not as severe.

Antiobotics also work on the inflammation caused by an infection. As your infection clears up, your inflammation level goes down as well as your pain.

Hope this helps.

6. acer2000

acer2000 New Member

Its possible that you have an infection that is causing your FMS in the first place. Perhaps you were inadvertently treating that infection when you treated your UTI. Have you been checked for Lyme disease? Or how about any other bacterial infections..?
  7. Chrisgirl

Chrisgirl New Member

Glad to hear antibiotics help some. I think most are safe, but here is some info. on one that can be dangerous.

Just a warning about Cipro. I found this yesterday when I was doing a search of my symptoms. I've had all of the symptoms save the tendon rupture(thank God) and I was on Cipro a year ago for a suspected bacteria in my intestines that was causing pain. Would have never taken it had I known the risks, especially for a bacteria that was suspected.

Good luck!
  8. EricaCFIDS

EricaCFIDS New Member

Hi Empower,

That's great that you put the two together! I used to have a weird sort of craving for ABX because I always felt so much better taking them and after. I now know that's because I have lyme (a bacterial infection).

I took Doxycycline (in the Tetracycline family) for a month recently and couldn't believe my improvement!! That was the clincher for me. I knew this was an answer.

If ABX give you marked improvement, then it must be killing an infection you have. The question is, what is that infection?

All I can say, IMHO (in my humble opinion), it would be worth looking deeper into this! It's always so wonderful to find the key to feeling better.

Good luck!

All the best,
  9. greatgran

greatgran Member

I also feel better when on antibiotics, my doc says its because its helping with inflammation, I disagree.

When I get so fatigued, I feel like a dish rag , body aches etc. I tell them I have a sinus infection ( I do have sinus issues) to get an antibiotic and within a few days I am feeling better physically. Now the mental I don't think there is any hope for me.

I do believe they are treating an infection that doesn't seem to show up in labs that my doc has done.

Not sure why but I do believe there is a connection.

God Bless,
  10. Empower

Empower New Member

My SIL has fibro and she tells the doc she has a sinus infection to get the antibiotics and she is good for a couple of months