better sleep w/ inexpensive ear plugs

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by forfink, Oct 31, 2006.

1. forfink

forfink New Member

Thought I would share a little tip. I had a cheap pair of ear plugs that I had bought one time for travel, but never used them much. Thought they felt weird.

Just for fun I tried them the other night since it is now allergy season and my husband sounds like a train wreck. I got so tired of going in the other room to sleep or rubbing his arm 5 times a night to have him change positions of sleeping. My frustration level was brewing.

Well, I'm geting use to the little suckers and I'm finding I don't wake up for every little sound in the house, like I always do. Thought if this helps anyone out there I would be thrilled..... Nothing better then some restful sleep! Scrunch them up real good before applying them to your ear, that helps.
  2. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

I use them all the time too. I have tried about 5 different types tho to try and find the perfect plug that didnt hurt my ears and stick out so much that it rubbed against the pillow (my ear holes are very small it seems).

Anyway, after all the searching ans spending - one pair cost $35 - I finally went back to the basic foam ones that you roll up and hold in your ear until they expand.

I had to modify them by chopping the end off so they didnt stick out too much, but they work great now.

Cheers
    Michelle
  3. Juloo

Juloo Member

My husband and I both wear them now. We get the soft purple expandable ones that you can get at Walmart or Walgreens -- the rating is 33 dB. I thought I'd really had a good shopping day when I found that Walmart started selling a clear container with 50 pairs! I got one for me and one for my husband, and they sit right next to our bed.
  4. mindbender

mindbender New Member

I never thought of it but that is an excellent suggestion. I snore, and my future ex-wife complains about it constantly. I'll get some for her.

That will knock 1 more thing off her list of 355,000 things she hates me for. Now if I can find a cheap muzzle for her.

Thank you, Dan
  5. marsupialmama

marsupialmama New Member

b/c DH saws logs in his sleep. Makes a huge difference. Also keeps me from freaking out about the creaking noises that the house makes at night.

I buy the cheap foam ones too, and scoop them up when they are on special. I tried other kinds but they hurt my ears, especially those ball-o-wax ones, yuck!

Had to add the eye patches too, because the cheapo blinds that were here when we moved in don;t block out all the light and when there is a full moon it shines right on me.

One day I will get around to putting curtains there instead...
  6. forfink

forfink New Member

This is so hysterical....we must look like some crazy individuals when we go to sleep at night!!! How funny.
    Amazing what a cheap pair of ear plugs can doand other assorted costume materials!!!

I'll try cutting the extra off so they fit better. Wasn't sure if that would work, thanks for the tip Michelle_NZ!!!
    But I've been sleeping 6 hours straight without waking up, that's a record.
  7. wish_to_be_healthy

wish_to_be_healthy New Member

Just part of a better nights sleep...

I think one of those matresses that doesn't (NASA foam matress) move around may be next...he has been flinching around, and that wakes me and/or both of us up...

8. kbak

kbak Member

Hi,

I posted a while back about ear plugs too. They really do help. Something else that people might want to know is that if you want to take the next step, you can go to a hearing aid place and they will make you custom ear plugs.

This does cost but I'm going to do it as soon as I can afford it. That way I can have plugs that fit me more comfortably.

kbak