Better to Walk or Rest?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by luv2float, Feb 16, 2009.

1. luv2float

luv2float New Member

When your legs are killing you, do you find it better to stay down or to try and walk through it?

I usually wrap them in a heating pad, which helps only a little, I feel like this DD is taking over me and I don't want fibro to win! I'm at a loss on what to do, I don't want to stop moving but sometimes thats the only thing that helps. I went to the grocery with my husband yesterday and I'm paying for it dearly today.

Any comments will be helpful.

God Bless you all....
  2. MIssAutumn

MIssAutumn New Member

I've had this crud for 30 years and what I found is: grocery shopping kills my legs and I will feel the pain all over, I'm sure it's the cement floors- that's why they don't put them in barns, it will cripple an animal if they stand on them too long.

I found the more I lie around the worse I feel, you just have to find what works for you.

This morning I was trying to figure out why I was feeling worse and realized with winter here I'm not out as much as usual so I just got out my Walk Away the Pounds tapes. I will feel worse tomorrow but then that will leave.

3. FMsaddenedspirit

FMsaddenedspirit New Member

I have been wondering the same thing ... I am so tired and hurt so much I just want to lay down... but have also found if I walk or do my streaches It makes me feel better.. I just have to make myself do it I guess.

its so hard

Prayers for better days :)
  4. klcooper

klcooper New Member

Moving is hard but better in the long run. Gotta keep the muscles moving, it's hard but it's better. I recently learned that one thing that may feel good but make pain worse in the long run is heat. I recently did a couple months of physical therapy because my legs were really bothering me too me too, and concrete is a killer.

Anyway, I told the Dr that I used heating pads & she said it's not good to do. It makes the muscles tighter in the long run. Try to get the flexible gel packs and keep in the fridge, it does make a difference for the better especially after alot of working or therapy.

Try it and see it helps, I don't like the chill but it does stop the muscles from feeling worse and tightening. Since we all respond differently, do what works for you.

Hope that helps.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/16/2009]
  5. loto

loto Member

that is a hard question. i've had the same problem. sometimes i'll make myself get on my gazelle exerciser and "ski" until i just can't do it anymore. sometimes i'll only make it about 10 minutes, sometimes longer. sometimes it helps, sometimes it makes it worse. it's so frustrating. so, i guess try both, and see which one helps the best.
  6. loto

loto Member

thanks for mentioning the theraband. I just started using one to stretch my upper body and arms, and i think it's really helping. of course my sides are a little sore from the stretching it hasn't gotten in quite a while, but it really does help. i actually started doing it as a part of attempting to lose at least 10 pounds. Lately all i've been doing is craving sweets and giving into those cravings, and have gained some weight throughout this loooooooooong winter. So, i'm cutting down to one sweet treat per day and trying to do more moving around.