Between Heaven and Earth, #3 - What Do Others Say About Prayer?

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by LittleBluestem, Sep 10, 2006.

1. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

<FONT FACE=“Time New Roman” SIZE=+1>
    I am beginning Part Two: What Do Others Say About Prayer? of Between Heaven and Earth by Ken Gire. I thought it would also be a good time to start a new thread, since the last one has become rather long.
    </FONT>

Ken Gire, Introduction

What do other people say about prayer?

That depends on the people. And the time in which they lived. And the place.

And yet, when you stand back from the times and places of other people’s lives, it’s remarkable how similar are the things they say about prayer.
    Prayer is the language that unites us. And maybe that is why we feel such a kinship with those in this chapter and with what they have to say.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/10/2006]
  2. LittleBluestem

Augustine
    (354-430) Bishop of Hippo in North Africa. Philosopher and Church Father whose ideas greatly influenced the Protestant Reformation.

“If you would never cease to pray, never cease to long for it. The continuance of your longing is the continuance of your prayer.”

“Do what you can and then pray that God will give you the power to do what you cannot.”
  3. LittleBluestem

Elizabeth Gray Vining, The World in Tune

There are many ways to pray, and each soul must find its own. The important, the essential thing, is to pray.
  4. LittleBluestem

Bill Huebsch, A New Look at Prayer
    <PRE>
    In prayer
    we gather together,
    all the fragments of our lives,
    and we find in them
    the hand of God,
    molding us as a potter.
    In prayer
    we take what is divided,
    ruptured,
    scattered in our lives
    and give it to God
    who folds it all together
    to form beautiful vessels.
    </PRE>

[This Message was Edited on 09/17/2006]
  5. LittleBluestem

Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard’s Almanac
    (1706-1790) American statesman, inventor, and writer.

Work as if you were to live a hundred years,
    Pray as if you were to die tomorrow.
  6. dejovu

dejovu New Member

This was all very beautiful and enriching. It put a warm smile in my heart. De
  7. Heirloom

Heirloom New Member

"Prayer is the pure privilege of being consciously with God." -Eugenia Price, author
  8. pepper

pepper New Member

I really love this quote: "“Do what you can and then pray that God will give you the power to do what you cannot.” I needed that today.

God bless you and be with you.
    (((HUGS)))Pepper
  9. LittleBluestem

Samuel Taylor Coleridge, The Ancient Mariner
    <FONT SIZE=-1>(1772-1834) English Poet</FONT>

He prayeth well, who loveth well
    Both man and bird and beast.
    He prayeth best, who loveth best
    All things both great and small;
    For the dear God who loveth us,
    He made and loveth all.
  10. LittleBluestem

Samuel Chadwick
    <FONT SIZE=-1>(1898-1932) Reverend Chadwick served as the superintendent of the Leeds Mission for sixteen years and as the president of the National Council of Free Churches.</FONT>

The one concern of the devil is to keep the saints from prayer. He fears nothing from prayerless studies, prayerless work, prayerless religion. He laughs at our toil, mocks at our wisdom, but trembles when we pray.
  11. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

12. LittleBluestem

Carlo Carretto, Letters from a Desert

Prayer is the sum of our relationship with God. We are what we pray. The degree of our faith is the degree of our prayer. Our ability to love is our ability to pray.
  13. LittleBluestem

Oswald Chambers
    <FONT SIZE=-1>(1874-1917) Scottish Minister best known as a devotional writer.</FONT>

Prayer is not a preparation for work, it is work.
    Prayer is not a preparation for the battle, it is the battle.
  14. morningsonshine

The second one up, the Carlo's one, that is very sobering.

Prayer is the sum of our relationship with God. We are what we pray. The degree of our faith is the degree of our prayer. Our ability to love is our ability to pray.
  15. LittleBluestem

Fulton J. Sheen, Lift Up Your Heart
    <FONT SIZE=-1>(1895-1979) American Roman Catholic archbishop who wrote books and presented sermons on radio and television.</FONT>

<FONT FACE=“Times New Roman“>See where I stand at the door, knocking; if anyone listens to my voice and opens the door, I will come in to visit him, and take my supper with him, and he shall sup with me. (Rev. 3:20)</FONT>

This text reverses the order that many people think to be the law of prayer. They assume that when we pray we ring God’s doorbell and ask for a favor. Actually, it is He Who rings our bell.
  16. LittleBluestem

John Allen Lavender, Why Prayers Are Unanswered

To ask rashly is foolish. To seek selfishly is dangerous. To knock flippantly is audacious. But when in dogged faith you persistently pray that God’s will may be your own, the sheer daring of prayer becomes glorious. All God has is yours - exceedingly abundant above all you can ask or think.
  17. LittleBluestem

Abraham Lincoln
    <FONT SIZE=-1>(1809-1865) Sixteenth president of the United States</FONT>

I have been driven many times to my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go. My own wisdom, and that of all about me, seemed insufficient for the day.
  18. LittleBluestem

D. L. Moody
    <FONT SIZE=-1>(1837-1899) American evangelist and founder of Moody Bible Institute. </FONT>

The Christian on his knees sees more than the philosopher on tiptoe.

19. morningsonshine

All three, you made my toes tingle!

I finally dug out my Oswald Chambers book, and read for the last two days,
    Of course they hit my right on the nose, heart, isn't God amazing!!!
  20. LittleBluestem

A. W. Tozer, The Divine Conquest

It is well that we accept the hard truth how: the man who would know God must give time to Him. He must count no time wasted which is spent in the cultivation of His acquaintance. He must give himself to meditation and prayer hours on end. So did the saints of old, the glorious company of the apostles, the goodly fellowship of the prophets and the believing members of the holy Church in all generations. And so must we if we would follow in their train.