Between Heaven and Earth - Prayers and Reflections of Others #4

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by LittleBluestem, Nov 19, 2006.

1. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

#3 went to two pages, so it’s time for #4.

I am using this thread to post quotations(which appear to be public domain) from the book Between Heaven and Earth by Ken Gire. I am currently finishing up Part Two: What Do Others Say About Prayer?

Others are welcome to add inspirational prayers and insightful, thought provoking commentary about prayer.[This Message was Edited on 02/14/2007]
  2. LittleBluestem

A. W. Tozer, Jesus, Our Man in Glory

I am reminded that one old saint was asked, “Which is the more important: reading God’s Word or praying?” To which he replied, “Which is more important to a bird: the right wing or the left wing?”
  3. LittleBluestem

Thomas Aquinas
    <FONT SIZE=-1>(ca. 1225-1274) Italian monk, philosopher, and theologian.</FONT>

Give us, O Lord, thankful hearts,
    which never forget Your goodness to us.
    Give us, O Lord, grateful hearts,
    which do not waste time complaining.

Psalm 100
    A psalm. For giving thanks.

Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all ye lands.
    Serve the Lord with gladness.
    Come into His presence with singing.

Know ye that the Lord, He is God.
    It is He that has made us and not we ourselves.
    We are His people, the sheep of His pasture.

Enter into His gates with thanksgiving
    And into His courts with praise.
    Be thankful unto Him and bless His name.

For the Lord is good.
    His steadfast love endures forever
    And His faithfulness to all generations.

[This Message was Edited on 12/04/2006]
  4. LittleBluestem

Edith Schaeffer, Common Sense Christian Living

Prayer is as natural as breathing, as necessary as oxygen.
  5. LittleBluestem

Victor Hugo - Les Miserables
    <FONT SIZE=-1>(1802-1885) French poet, playwright, and novelist.</FONT>

There are thoughts which are prayers. There are moments when, whatever the posture of the body, the soul is on its knees.
  6. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

"Pray is as necessary as oxygen!"

Amen to that!!!!

God bless you!

P.S. still waiting for my progress report!:) LOL

Love ya!
  7. Lms526

Lms526 New Member

EM Bounds-The complete works of EM Bounds on Prayer.

This volume actually contains 8 books in one. It was hard to pick a single quote because this book is literally chocked full of amazing and convicting things about prayer. But here is one that I really like. This quote is taken from a book called "The Essentials of Prayer"

"It is God's standard at which we are to aim, not man's. It is not the opinions of men, not what they say, but what the Scriptures say. Loose notions of religion grow out of loose notions of prayer. Prayerlessness begets loose, cloudy, and indefinite views of what religion is. Aimless living and prayerlessness go hand in hand. Prayer sets something definite in mind. The more definite our views as to the nature and need of prayer, the more definite will be our views of Christian experience and right living and less vague our views of religion. A low standard of living lives hard by a low standard of praying."

Blessings in Christ,
    Lms526
  8. LittleBluestem

Arthur Hertzberg, Judaism

Prayer is an act of daring. Otherwise it is impossible to stand in prayer before God. When imagining the greatness of the Creator, how else could one stand in prayer before Him?
  9. LittleBluestem

Who Prays? Everyone - or almost everyone. People from very young to very old, from all time periods, and from all walks of life. Agnostics pray. So do atheists. Surveys indicate that nearly one in five of them pray daily.

Since the dawn of time people have prayed for all kinds of reasons and to all kinds of deities. While the object of their prayers differ, the subject of their prayers doesn’t. All people seem to realize the tenuousness of their humanity and their dependence on someone or something greater than themselves.

The prayers in this section are a diverse as the people who prayed them, but together they reflect a universal longing for God.

The prayers are divided into several categories, the first of which is Believers.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/13/2006]
  10. LittleBluestem

George Muller
    <FONT SIZE=-1>As told by Colin Whitaker</FONT>

This was something [Muller] constantly shared wherever he went, that the believer’s first business at the beginning of the day was to get their soul into a state of happiness with the Lord. Muller also took to walking and praying - with his New Testament in his hand - when conditions were suitable. On occasions he made this his early morning devotions, walking, reading a New Testament in large type, meditating and praying, as he walked in the fields for between an hour or two hours before breakfast. Both his physical and spiritual health benefited from this method.

In George’s journal he had the courage to bare his soul on many occasions, revealing that he was a man of similar passions to the rest of us and subject to his “off days” when he was irritable with his wife, or with visitors who outstayed their welcome; he too had his battle with doubts and fears. His great secret was that he learned not only to pray but never to give up praying.
  11. LittleBluestem

A Farmer
    <FONT SIZE=-1>As told by Edith Schaeffer</FONT>

I know a farmer who used to be a L’Abri worker. He writes that he now prays as he works on his tractor. He carries the prayer list with its page of verses and another page of requests. ... Even as his hours are spent raising quantities of mint, his hours are also being used to affect what is going on thousands of miles away.

<FONT FACE="Book Antiqua"><FONT SIZE=+1>
    I think we, in this worship and prayer group, also affect what is going on thousands of miles away when we pray for one another. </FONT>[This Message was Edited on 12/13/2006]
  12. windblade

windblade Active Member

Thank you for your faithfulness in bringing us all this strengthening spiritual food!

God Bless,
    Judy
  13. LittleBluestem

<B>Fyodor Dostoyevski</B>

Be not forgetful of prayer.

Every time you pray, if your prayer is sincere, there will be new feeling and new meaning in it, which will give you fresh courage, and you will understand that prayer is education.[This Message was Edited on 12/18/2006]
  14. LittleBluestem

<B>Madam Chiang Kai-shek</B>

One of my strongest childhood experiences is of Mother going to a room she kept for the purpose on the third floor to pray. She spent hours in prayer, often beginning before dawn. When we asked her advice about anything, she would say, “I must ask God first.”
  15. LittleBluestem

Dr. Hoste
    <FONT SIZE=-1>As told by Edith Schaeffer</FONT>

My first observation of perfectly natural and conscientious prayer came when I was a little girl in Shanghai. One morning I went skipping along beside Dr. Hoste, at that time the director of the China Inland Mission (he had followed Hudson Taylor). He didn’t turn me away, but simply said, “Edith, I am praying now, but you may come along if you wish.”

I walked with him a number of times, holding his hand and being very quiet and impressed as he prayed aloud. It was his custom to walk when he prayed, and he counted it his first responsibility for the mission to pray four hours a day. He prayed for each missionary in the China Inland Mission, and for each of their children by name. He had the list with him, and he went through it. It was not just a recitation of names; he cared about each person and knew something of their needs. He felt this was his work.

“Al right, walk with me and pray,” he would say in his peculiarly high voice. The impression that penetrates my memory is the respect I received for the work of prayer. I know it meant more than any series of lectures in later life could mean.

<FONT FACE="Book Antiqua"><FONT SIZE=+1>Even most of us with disabling illness can still participate in the work of prayer to some extent. I‘m not sure how many of us could manage four hours a day. </FONT>[This Message was Edited on 12/27/2006]
  16. LittleBluestem

Robert Louis Stevenson
    <FONT SIZE=-1>As told by his wife</FONT>

In every Samoan household the day is closed with prayer and the singing of hymns. The omission of this sacred duty would indicate not only a lack of religious training in the house chief but a shameless disregard of all that is reputable in Samoan social life. ...

With my husband, prayer, the direct appeal, was a necessity. When he was happy he felt impelled to offer thanks for that undeserved joy; when in sorrow, or pain, to call for strength to bear what must be borne.
  17. LittleBluestem

Dwight D. Eisenhower
    <FONT SIZE=-1>(1890-1969) Thirty-fourth president of the United States.</FONT>

Personal prayer, it seems to me is one of the simplest necessities of life, as basic to the individual as sunshine, food and water -- and at times, of course, more so.[This Message was Edited on 01/17/2007]
  18. LittleBluestem

The following quotes are from the section titled “Seekers From All Walks of Life”.
  19. LittleBluestem

Francis Thompson
    <FONT SIZE=-1>(1859-1907) English poet.</FONT>

In his Study of Francis Thompson’s “Hound of Heaven” (1912), Mr. J. F. O’Conner says: “As the hound follows the hare, never ceasing in its running, every drawing nearer to the chase ... so does God follow the fleeing soul by his Divine grace.”

<PRE>
    THE HOUND OF HEAVEN

“Whom wilt thou find to love ignoble thee
    Save Me, save only Me?

All which I took from thee I did but take,
    Not for thy harms,
    But just that thou might’st seek it in My arms,
    All which thy child’s mistake
    Fancies as lost, I have stored for thee at home;
    Rise, clasp My hand, and come!

Ah, fondest, blindest, weakest,
    I am He Whom thou seekest!”
    </PRE>
  20. LittleBluestem

Howard Macy, Rhythms of the Inner Life

The seeking for God that is born of discovery has a hound-like quality. Once we’ve caught the scent and, perhaps, broken the leash, we’ll eagerly follow the trail, wherever it might lead, nose down, through field and bramble, water and shrub, in the hope of cornering our quarry.

To have come to know God at all is to have been given the scent, and through we know well that we will hardly tree the Holy One, we also know that this is the trail we must follow. So we rush on as fast as our noses will take us, and we would do well to bay with excitement as we go.

Those who recall Francis Thompson’s haunting image of God as the Hound of Heaven, pursuing us down the halls of time, might well ask who, in fact, is the hound and who the quarry, whether we seek God or whether we are sought. If we try to answer the question on those terms, however, we stray into theological foolishness.

What we discover, instead , is that all the while we have been pursuing God, he has been rushing toward us with reckless love, arms flung wide to hug us home. God aches for every person, for every creature, indeed, for every scrap of life in all creation to be joined again in the unity that was ins first destiny. So while we are crying out, “Where are you, God?” the divine voice echoes through our hiding places, “Where are you?”

Indeed, the story of the Garden of Eden reminds us that it is God who calls out first, and to this we answer. God’s yearning for us stirs up our longing in response. God’s initiating presence may be ever so subtle -- an inward tug of desire, a more-than-coincidence meeting of words and events, a glimpse of the beyond in a storm or in a flower -- but it is enough to make the heart skip a beat and to make us want to know more.[This Message was Edited on 01/24/2007]