Between Heaven and Earth - Prayers and Reflections of Others #6

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by LittleBluestem, May 13, 2007.

1. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Since I have reached Part 4 of Between Heaven and Earth: Prayers and Reflections that Celebrate an Intimate God by Ken Gire, I have decided to start a new thread with excerpts from it.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/14/2007]
  2. LittleBluestem

Part 4 is Why Do We Pray? The first section is Because We Need Help - Petition
  3. LittleBluestem

Answers to prayer often come in unexpected ways. We pray, for instance, for a certain virtue, but God seldom delivers Christian virtues all wrapped in a package and ready for use. Rather he puts us in situations where by his help we can develop those virtues.

Henry Ward Beecher told of a woman who prayed for patience, and God sent her a poor cook. The best answers to prayer may be the vision and strength to meet a circumstance or to assume a responsibility.
  4. LittleBluestem

"Going Up to Jerusalem" Sermons

<FONT SIZE=-1>(1835-1893)American bishop who wrote "O Little Town of Bethlehem"</FONT>

Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men! Do not pray for tasks equal to your powers. Pray for powers equal to your tasks.
  5. LittleBluestem

Deliver me Jesus
    from the desire of being loved;
    from the desire of being honored;
    from the desire of being praised;
    from the desire of being preferred to others;
    from the desire of being consulted;
    from the desire of being approved;

from the fear of being humiliated;
    from the fear of being despised;
    from the fear of suffering rebuke;
    from the fear of being forgotten;
    from the fear of being wrong;
    from the fear of being suspected.

And Jesus, grant me the grace to desire
    that others might be loved more than I;
    that others might be esteemed more than I;
    that in the opinion of the world, others may increase and I decrease;
    that others may be chosen and I set aside;
    that others may be praised and I unnoticed;
    that others may be preferred to me in everything;
    that others may become holier that I, provided that I become as holy as I should.
  6. LittleBluestem

<FONT SIZE=-1>(1893-1971) German pastor and theologian.</FONT>

<PRE>
    God grant me the
    Serenity to accept the things
    I cannot change;
    Courage to change the things I can; and
    Wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
    Enjoying one moment at a time;
    Accepting hardship
    As the pathway to peace.

Taking as He did,
    This sinful world as it is
    Not as I would have it.

Trusting that He will make
    All things right
    If I surrender to His will.

That I may be reasonably happy
    In this life,
    And supremely happy
    With Him forever in the next.
    </PRE>
  7. LittleBluestem

The next set of quotes is from the section Because Others Need Help - Intercession
  8. LittleBluestem

<FONT SIZE=-1>(1874-1917)Scottish minister best known as a devotional writer.</FONT>

In intercession you bring the person, or the circumstance that impinges on you before God until you are moved by His attitude towards that person or circumstance. [This Message was Edited on 05/27/2007]
  9. LittleBluestem

<FONT SIZE=-1>(1883-1995) Pastor of the Congregationalist City Temple in London and author of The House of Prayer.</FONT>

Almighty and merciful God, we lift up our hearts to Thee for all who are the prey of anxious fears, who cannot get their minds off themselves, and to whom every demand brings the feeling that they cannot cope with what is required of them.

Give them the comfort of knowing that this is illness, not cowardice; that millions have felt as they feel; that there is a way through this dark valley, and light at the end of it.

Lead them to those who can show them the pathway to health and happiness.

Sustain them by the knowledge that the Savior knows and understands all our woe and fear; and give them enough courage to face each day, and to rest their minds in the thought that Thou wilt see them through.
  10. LittleBluestem

<FONT SIZE=-1>(1033-1109) Archbishop, scholar, and writer.</FONT>

Almighty and tender Lord Jesus Christ,
    Just as I have asked you to love my friends
    So I ask the same for my enemies.
    You alone, Lord, are mighty.
    You alone are merciful.

Whatever you make me desire for my enemies,
    Give it to them.
    And give the same back to me.

If I ever ask for them anything
    Which is outside your perfect rule of love,
    Whether through weakness, ignorance, or malice,
    Good Lord, do not give it to them
    And do not give it back to me.

You who are the true light, lighten their darkness.
    You who are the whole truth, correct their errors.
    You who are the incarnate word, give life to their souls.
    Tender Lord Jesus.

Let me not be a stumbling block to them
    Nor a rock of offense.
    My sin is sufficient to me, without harming others.

I, a slave to sin,
    Beg your mercy on my fellow slaves.
    Let them be reconciled with you
    And through you reconciled to me.
  11. Lms526

Lms526 New Member

This is taken from a book called "How to Pray" by
    Ronnie W. Floyd.

"Prayer does not move God as much as it moves you towards God. It places you in a posture to receive what God has for your life. When you pray, God is more likely to meet your needs. His will is for you to talk to Him, to abide in Him, and to know that without Him you are nothing. This posture moves you into expecting God to do something in your life. Through prayer, God establishes a trust relationship with you and me. Our faith is enlarged when God's activity becomes evident in our lives. Therefore, prayer is an act of obeying God. This is why we should pray, even though we know God's will is going to be done."
  12. LittleBluestem

The next set of quotes is from the section Because We Need Forgiveness - Confession
  13. LittleBluestem

Confessions

The house of my soul is too small for you to come to it. May it be enlarged by you. It is in ruins: restore it. In your eyes it has offensive features. I admit it, I know it; but who will clean it up? Or to whom shall I cry other than you?

“Cleanse me from my secret faults, Lord, and spare your servant from sins to which I am tempted by others.” (Ps. 31:5)
  14. LittleBluestem

<FONT SIZE=-1>(1809-1865) Sixteenth president of the United States</FONT>

O, God we have been recipients of the choicest blessings of heaven. We have been preserved, these many years, in peace and prosperity. We have grown in numbers, wealth, and power as no other nation has every grown; but we have forgotten God.

We have forgotten the gracious hand which preserved us in peace, and multiplied and enriched and strengthened us; and we have vainly imagined, in the deceitfulness of our hearts, that all these blessings were produced by some superior wisdom and virtue of our own. Intoxicated with unbroken success, we have become too self-sufficient to feel the necessity of redeeming and preserving grace, too proud to pray to the God that made us.

It behooves us, then to humble ourselves before the offended Power, to confess our national sins, and to pray for clemency and forgiveness.
  15. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I copied and printed out the prayer from:

(1883-1995) Pastor of the Congregationalist City Temple in London and author of The House of Prayer.

I'm taking it with me to the radiation therapy tomorrow. When I get scared, I will read it to help calm my anxiousness.

Thank you for sharing. Joyfully
  16. LittleBluestem

That prayer is by Leslie Weatherhead. At first I put the author’s name in the title and the message, but later I thought that was redundant and have been leaving it out of the message. Is it easier to read if I put the author in the message?

Even I can understand how it would be difficult to get your mind off of yourself when you are sitting in a single room wondering what those invisible rays have done to those nasty hidden cells.

Tomorrow and each day during your quarantine I will pray that you are sustained by the knowledge that the Savior knows and understands all your woe and fear; that the Holy Spirit gives you enough courage to face the day; and that you are able to rest your mind in the thought that God will see you through this. [This Message was Edited on 07/09/2007]
  17. LittleBluestem

George MacDonald
    <FONT SIZE=-1>(1824-1905) Poverty-stricken Scottish pastor and writer.</FONT>

If I felt my heart as hard as stone; if I did not love God, or man, or woman or little child, I would yet say to God in my heart, “O God, see how I trust Thee, because Thou art perfect, and not changeable like me. I do not love Thee. I love nobody. I am not even sorry for it. Thou seest how much I need Thee to come close to me, to put Thy arm round me, to say the me, my child: for the worse my state, the greater my need of my Father who loves me. Come to me and my day will dawn; my love will come back, and, oh! how I shall love Thee, my God! and know that my love is Thy love, my blessedness Thy being.”
  18. LittleBluestem

Matthew 6:12, 14-15
    <FONT SIZE=-1>(New American Standard Bible)</FONT>

And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.
    For if you forgive others for their transgressions, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others, the your Father will not forgive your transgressions.
  19. LittleBluestem

Psalm 51:1-17 (New International Version)
    <FONT SIZE=-1>A psalm of David. When the prophet Nathan came to him after David had committed adultery with Bathsheba (and had Uriah murdered).</FONT>
    <PRE>
    Have mercy on me, O God,
    according to your unfailing love;
    according to your great compassion
    blot out my transgressions.
    Wash away all my iniquity
    and cleanse me from my sin.

For I know my transgressions,
    and my sin is always before me.
    Against you, you only, have I sinned
    and done what is evil in your sight,
    so that you are proved right when you speak
    and justified when you judge.
    Surely I was sinful at birth,
    sinful from the time my mother conceived me.
    Surely you desire truth in the inner parts;
    you teach me wisdom in the inmost place.

Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean;
    wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.
    Let me hear joy and gladness;
    let the bones you have crushed rejoice.
    Hide your face from my sins
    and blot out all my iniquity.

Create in me a pure heart, O God,
    and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
    Do not cast me from your presence
    or take your Holy Spirit from me.
    Restore to me the joy of your salvation
    and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.

Then I will teach transgressors your ways,
    and sinners will turn back to you.
    Save me from bloodguilt, O God,
    the God who saves me,
    and my tongue will sing of your righteousness.
    O Lord, open my lips,
    and my mouth will declare your praise.

You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it;
    you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings.
    The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit;
    a broken and contrite heart,
    O God, you will not despise.
    </PRE>[This Message was Edited on 07/15/2007]
  20. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

Hallejulah, and praise the Lord. (to bad i can't spell :0))

Thanks littleblue, God's word is so powerful!

Misty