Between Heaven and Earth - Prayers and Reflections of Others

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by LittleBluestem, Jun 4, 2006.

1. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Several years ago I picked up a book of prayers for a pittance at an outlet bookstore. It is “Between Heaven and Earth” compiled and edited Ken Gire. The subtitle is “Prayers and Reflections that Celebrate an Intimate God”, so it contains reflections on prayer as well as prayers.

Since prayer is a rather personal communication between a person and God, I wasn’t sure how useful other people’s prayers would be; but my own prayer life had become rather stale, so I decided to see what other people had to say. I found that other people had the same thoughts I had, or thoughts I wished I had, and expressed them in a manner better than I could.

I am sharing some the prayers and reflections from the book. Since Sunday, June 4 (when I began this project) was the International Day of Prayer, I am focusing on group prayer, prayers for others, and prayers about our relationship with others. To keep this a manageable size, I have not used long entries.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

>George MacDonald

“Oh God,” I said, and that was all. But what are the prayers of the whole universe more than expansions of that cry? It is not what God can give us, but God that we want.

>John Piper, “The Pleasures of God”

Prayer is the walkie talkie on the battlefield of the world.
    It calls in for courage (Eph. 6:19).
    It calls in for troop deployment and target location (Acts 13: 1-3).
    It calls in for protection and air cover (Matt. 6:13; Luke 12:36).
    It calls in for fire power to blast open a way for the Word (Col. 4:3).
    It calls in for the miracle of healing for the wounded soldiers (James 5:16).
    It calls in for supplies for the forces (Matt. 6:11; Phil. 4:6).
    And it call in for needed reinforcements (Matt. 9:38).

This is the place of prayer - on the battlefield of the world. It is a wartime walkie talkie for spiritual warfare, not a domestic intercom to increase the comforts of the saints. And one of the reasons it malfunctions in the hands of so many Christian soldiers is that they have gone AWOL.

>E. M. Bounds, “Power Through Prayer”

Talking to men for God is a great thing, but talking to God for men is a greater skill.

>A. W. Tozer, “Of God an Men”

Prayer is never an acceptable substitute for obedience. The sovereign Lord accepts no offering from His creatures that is not accompanied by obedience. To pray for revival while ignoring or actually flouting the plain precept laid down in the Scriptures is to waste a lot of words and get nothing for our trouble.

>Jeremy Taylor, “The Rule and Exercises of Holy Living”

Whatsoever we beg of God, let us also work for it.

>Dwight D. Eisenhower, from an address to college students.

Prayer is still the mightiest force in the world and, when used by dedicated men and women, nothing in this world remains impossible.

>Henri Nouwen, “Reaching Out”

Sometimes it seems as if the Christian community is “so busy” with its projects and plans that there is neither the time nor the mood to pray. But when prayer is no longer its primary concern, and when its many activities are no longer seen and experienced as part of prayer itself, the community quickly degenerates into a club with a common cause but no common vocation.

>Mother Teresa

Lord, open our eyes,
    That we may see you in our brothers and sisters.
    Lord, open our ears,
    That we may hear the cries of the hungry, the cold, the frightened, the oppressed.
    Lord, open our hearts,
    That we may love each other as you love us.
    Renew in us your spirit,
    Lord, free us and make us one.

>Queen Mary Stuart

Keep us, O God, from all pettiness,
    Let us be large in thought, in word, in deed.
    Let us be done with faultfinding
    and leave off self-seeking.
    May we put away all pretense and meet each other face to face,
    without self-pity and without prejudice.
    May we never be hasty in judgment
    and always generous.
    Let us always take time for all things,
    and make us grow calm, serene and gentle.
    Teach us to put into action our better impulses,
    to be straightforward and unafraid.
    Grant that we may realize
    that it is the little things of life that create differences,
    that in the big things of life we are as one.
    And, O Lord God, let us not forget to be kind!

>William Barclay

O God our Father, we ask you to bless those for whom there will be no sleep tonight ...
    those who this night will not sleep because of the pain of their body or the distress of their mind;
    those in misfortune, who will lie down in hunger and in cold;
    those who are far from home and far from friends, and who are lonely as the shadows fall.
    Grant that in our own happiness and comfort we may never forget the sorrow and the pain,
    the loneliness and the need of other in the slow, dark hours. This we ask for your love’s sake.

>Richard Foster, quoted in “How I Pray” by Jim Castelli

People who really pray - not people who just analyze prayer or dissect it, but who actually do it - become more loving, more sensitive to other people. I’ve watched this happen, and I think I am reflecting not only my own experience, but the experience of many other people. Prayer enlarges our ability to embrace other people.

>Eugene Peterson, “Under the Unpredictable Plant”

Herbert Butterfield, the Oxford historian of modern history, is convinced that what Christians do in prayer is the most significant factor in the shaping of history - more significant than war and diplomacy, more significant than technology and art. . . .

>Michael Leunig, “The Prayer Tree”

Let us live in such a way
    That when we die
    Our love will survive
    And continue to grow.
    Amen
    [This Message was Edited on 06/05/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 06/05/2006]
  2. windblade

windblade Active Member

I found many of my favorites here, Ken Gire, George MacDonald, Mother Teresa.

This is just what we need, because we give out so much prayer. It's like filling up an empty well!

Would it be too much work to keep sharing them? I had just been thinking a few days ago, that I needed more input on prayer.

This was a good feast!

Love, Judy
  3. windblade

windblade Active Member

I was wondering if you changed the title to something like Quotes on prayer or something similar, everyone would get a clearer idea of this valuable post.

4. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

The first one touched me the most, by George MacDonald, a great writer.

But how simple, how profound just to say his name with all that is in our hearts, that we can't express!!

Oh God!
  5. LittleBluestem

I passed over a bunch of great material because it didn't fit the theme. The first one isn't a real good fit, but I just couldn't leave it out. I will change the title and continue to make additions from time to time.
  6. LittleBluestem

>In the “VERSE FOR THE DAY” thread on 06/05/06, Mari wrote:
    Pottersclay, Friend,

I needed Psalms 55:22 today!! Thank you for listening to God and posting it!

See how we all can minister to each other? What a blessing!!

Love....Mari

Mar...just saw your post also!

That was so helpful to me to read that message.

Love, Mari
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

>Oswald Chambers, In a letter dated February 16, 1907

I want to tell you a growing conviction with me, and that is that as we obey the leadings of the Spirit of God, we enable God to answer the prayers of other people. I mean that our lives, my life, is the answer to someone’s prayer, prayed perhaps centuries ago. . . .

I have the unspeakable knowledge that my life is the answer to prayers, and that God is blessing me and making me a blessing entirely of His sovereign grace and nothing to do with my merits, saving as I am bold enough to trust His leading and not the dictates of my own wisdom and common sense.
  7. windblade

windblade Active Member

This Oswald Chambers has deeply encouraged and inspired me ! Thank you for sharing these great quotes.

I'm so glad that you will be continuing with them!

I know this one today will be an influence on my life!

Love, and blessings,
    Judy
  8. dejovu

dejovu New Member

Thankyou for sharing. This is wonderful. God is truly using you to help others. Blessings. De
  9. LittleBluestem

I am glad to hear that you are finding this thread useful. I found the book to be more worthwhile that I originally expected when I picked it up. Really, God is using me to use others to bless some of you. Ken Gire, who edited the book should probably be in that chain, too.
  10. LittleBluestem

>Someone posted this CFS/FM version of the Serenity Prayer on the CFS/FM message board:

Lord, grant me the
    Serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
    Courage to change the things I can; and
    Wisdom to hide the bodies of
    Doctors I shot
    When they said,
    "You're perfectly healthy,
    It's All In Your Head."

>The original Serenity Prayer was written by Reinhold Niebuhr (1893 - 1971), a German pastor and Theologian who taught at Union Theological Seminary for thirty-two years.

<PRE>
    God grant me the
    Serenity to accept the things that I cannot change;
    Courage to change the things I can; and
    Wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
    Enjoying one moment at a time;
    Accepting hardship
    As the pathway to peace.

Taking, as He did,
    This world as it is,
    Not as I would have it.

Trusting that He will make
    All things right
    If I surrender to His will.

That I may be reasonable happy in this life,
    And supremely happy
    With Him forever in the next.
    </PRE>

[This Message was Edited on 06/08/2006]
    Again and Again and Again and Again and Again and Again.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/08/2006]
  11. LittleBluestem

Today, I thought that I would repeat this quote from John Piper’s “The Pleasure of God” with the scriptural references included. Bible verses are from the New International Version.

Prayer is the walkie talkie of the battlefield of life.

It calls on God for courage.
    Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel. - Eph. 6:19

It calls in for troop deployment and target locations.
    In the church at Antioch there were prophets and teachers: Barnabas, Simeon called Niger, Lucius of Cyrene, Manaen (who had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch) and Saul. While the were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, “Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.” So after they had fasted and prayed, they placed their hands on them and sent them off. - Acts 13:1-3

It calls in for protection and air cover.
    And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one. - Matt. 6:13
    Be always on the watch, and pray that you may be able to escape all that is about to happen, and that you may be able to stand before the Son of Man. - Luke 21:36

It calls in for fire power to blast open a way for the Word.
    And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains. - Col. 4:3

It calls in for the miracle of healing for the wounded soldiers.
    Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. - James 5:16

It calls in for supplies for the forces.
    Give us today our daily bread. - Matt. 6:11
    Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. - Phil. 4:16

And it calls in for needed reinforcements.
    Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field. - Matt. 9:38

This is the place of prayer - on the battlefield of the world. It is a wartime walkie talkie for spiritual warfare, not a domestic intercom to increase the comforts of the saints. And one of the reasons it malfunctions in the hands of so many Christian soldiers is that they have gone AWOL.

[This Message was Edited a Bunch of Times on 06/11/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 06/12/2006]
  12. windblade

windblade Active Member

This is very strengthening!!! I am going to copy it out for my own battles that I am dealing with! It gives me courage in a special way!

Also I love the 'serenity prayer'. I have used that hundreds of times in my life, as I have struggled over what to keep fighting for, and what to let go of.

I LOVE this thread!!! This is helping me in a big way!!!
    I really look forward to it, and it feeds and strengthens me.

I would like to add a few things occasionally, if that's all right.

Thank you for giving us such a wonderful gift!

Lots of love, Judy
  13. morningsonshine

That was really wonderful!

thanks!
  14. LittleBluestem

I’m glad you are finding strength here. I thought I would try to make an addition a couple of times a week. You are welcome to add things, as well.
  15. windblade

windblade Active Member

"We pray, and yet it is not we who pray, but a Greater who prays in us." by Thomas Kelly

" The Spirit helps us in our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but that very Spirit intercedes with sighs too deep for words." - Romans 8:26
  16. LittleBluestem

Reverend Canon Shuttleworth, “Self-Culture for Young People, vol. X”

Music ... is the voice of the heart’s aspiration toward God. It is the speech of the spirit, the language of the soul. What we cannot utter, but only dimly feel, that music seems to say for us. It is the voice of our unshaped and unspoken prayers.
  17. LittleBluestem

James Montgomery
    (1771 - 1854) Scottish hymnwriter

What is Prayer?

Prayer is the soul’s sincere desire,
    Unuttered or expressed,
    The motion of a hidden fire
    That trembles in the breast.

Prayer is the burden of a sigh,
    The falling of a tear,
    The upward glancing of the eye,
    When none but God is near.

Prayer is the Christian’s vital breath,
    The Christian’s native air,
    His watchword at the gates of death;
    He enters heaven with prayer.

Prayer is the contrite sinner’s voice,
    Returning from his ways,
    While angels in their songs rejoice
    And cry, “Behold, he prays!”

O Thou by whom we come to God,
    The life, the truth, the way,
    The path of prayer Thyself hast trod:
    Lord teach us how to pray.
  18. MamaR

MamaR New Member

May God Bless You!

Love.....Mari
  19. morningsonshine

Beautiful song/poem really like the feeling in it.

Thanks littlebluewolf!

When i get my computor back, you will hear from me.

Haven't been feeling to good, i notice you haven't been here neither for a day or so, hope everything is fine.

love,
    misty
  20. LittleBluestem

I'm doing O.K. I've just been busy because my sister is visiting from out-of-state. Maybe by the time you get your computer back, you will have an e-mail from me.