Beware: Identity Thieves Target Two States

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JLH, Feb 14, 2007.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

Beware: Identity Thieves Target Two States

People who live in New York, especially around New York City, and those who live in California, especially around Los Angeles, are far more likely to be the victims of identity theft than people who live elsewhere, according to a new study just released by ID Analytics Inc., a San Diego fraud security firm.

Coming in a close third on this list is Nevada, while the residents of Wyoming, Vermont, and Montana are least likely to have their identities stolen.

The top 10 states with the highest rates of identity fraud:
    1. New York
    2. California
    3. Nevada
    4. Arizona
    5. Illinois
    6. Hawaii
    7. Oregon
    8. Michigan
    9. Washington
    10. Texas

The top 10 states with the lowest rates of identity fraud:
    1. Wyoming
    2. Vermont
    3. Montana
    4. North Dakota
    5. New Hampshire
    6. Ohio
    7. Maine
    8. Iowa
    9. West Virginia
    10. South Dakota

Urban areas had higher fraud rates because larger populations make it easier for criminals to "operate under the radar," Stephen Coggeshall, chief technology officer at ID Analytics, told Reuters. Coggeshall said that fraud rates are elevated at high and low income ranges and are lower for those with middle incomes. People with an income above $150,000 are most at risk.

2. joyfully

joyfully New Member

My son moved from Michigan 2 yrs ago. The girl in the billing department at the company that moved his vehicle gave her friends my son's VISA account number, expiration date, and the code on the back of his card. my son was one of about 2 dozen people that she did this to.

My Mother had her purse stolen from a small city in Illinois about 6 months ago. It has been a nightmare ever since even though all proper steps were taken to inform all of the banks, credit card companies, health insurance card, post office, etc.

Post office???? Yes, these identity thieves are even having your mail address changed. Then, they take those applications that you are always receiving in the mail for a new credit card, fill it out, and they now have another credit card with your name on it. Because the address has now been changed, you don't even know that this has happened until the collection companies start hunting you down.

The police don't do that much to help you. Basically, you get a file number that you are to give all the collection agencies when they call you. The police state that they don't have enough man power to go after the identity thefts. That is what they told my Mother.

Oh, and don't forget to tell all of the 3 major credit reporting agencies by phone and in writing.

The thefts also had a fake driver's license made with their picture on it and my mother's name and address. They then wrote out and cashed every check that was left in the checkbook! Obviously, they bounced when the checks got to the bank, but the merchandise and the theft were already gone by then. so who do the stores think they are going to get to pay for all of this merchandise that was paid for with stolen checks? They are hounding my Mother!

It is amazing how sophisticated that these identity rings are. They know which stores to avoid, and which stores will easily cash large checks.

They have charged over $2,000 at a time for computer equipment and walked out of the store! Then, my Mother gets the nasty phone calls from the stores.

I wouldn't wish this on anyone.
    My Mother's life has been turned upside down over the identity theft. She is in her mid 80's; this is overwhelming to her.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/14/2007]
  3. PVLady

PVLady New Member

For this reason I regularly do a online check of my Equifax, Esperian and Transunion records. I also have "opted out" of any credit card offers so that cuts way down on mail offers of credit.

It is very easy to check your own credit info online. You go to website for Equifax and order a online credit report. You can see it right away and print it out.

After reviewing it, make note of all errors, including past addresses, open accounts that are now closed. Look at who has looked at your credit in the past 12 months.

It is all very interesting. By law, you can dispute the credit report "online" and they must make the corrections.

I have watched my reports for over 10 years and as a result, my credit score is high.

For anyone who is interested in ordering the Equifax and it is your first time, I suggest you order your credit report and Score. The credit Score is important.

On the Equifax website they explain what you can do to increase your score. These days, the higher you can get your score, the better loans you get, etc.

Naturally, shred all bills or anything personal before tossing it in garbage. In my neighborhood, this highest crime is identity theft.
  4. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Some states are so boneheaded (can't think of a better word here) that when it's time to renew your driver's license, they will show your driver's license information ONLINE where ANYONE can see it! This includes your name, driver's number, full address, AND social security number. They happened to be profiling the state of Ohio.

There was a big grassroots effort to get the gov't to remove such public info where anyone could view it. Hopefully it gets removed soon. Speaking of an ID theft nightmare AND the government is creating it. Unbelievable.

Take care, Erika

5. JLH

JLH New Member

had her purse stolen a few years ago. She immediately came home and called her bank because she had just put a new book of blank checks in her purse, and called the credit card companies, etc.

The bank notified her the next day that the thief had already begun writing checks on her -- the same day he stole the purse.

She never did get her purse returned, but they did find the thief due to someone recognizing him when he was writing checks and he was prosecuted.

Like you say, though, it was a complete hassle for her going through this.

I make certain that I rip up all portions of junk mail and magazines that have my name and address listed on them--especially the ton of those wanting you to fill out their credit card applications!