Beware Latest recreational "drug" "Salvia"?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Doober, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Doober

Doober New Member

Posted in CFS/FM forum and figured I would add here as well.

I am posting this for folks who have kids and need to be aware of the latest item I just found out. Very interesting and as a parent I would want to know this.

Is Salvia the Next Marijuana?

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — On Web sites touting the mind-blowing powers of Salvia divinorum, come-ons to buy the hallucinogenic herb are accompanied by warnings: "Time is running out!" and "stock up while you still can."

That's because salvia is being targeted by lawmakers concerned that the inexpensive and easy-to-obtain plant could become the next marijuana. Eight states have already placed restrictions on salvia, and 16 others, including Florida, are considering a ban or have previously.

"As soon as we make one drug illegal, kids start looking around for other drugs they can buy legally. This is just the next one," said Florida state Rep. Mary Brandenburg, who has introduced a bill to make possession of salvia a felony punishable by up to five years in prison.

Some say legislators are overreacting to a minor problem, but no one disputes that the plant impairs judgment and the ability to drive.

Native to Mexico and still grown there, Salvia divinorum is generally smoked but can also be chewed or made into a tea and drunk.

Called nicknames like Sally-D, Magic Mint and Diviner's Sage, salvia is a hallucinogen that gives users an out-of-body sense of traveling through time and space or merging with inanimate objects. Unlike hallucinogens like LSD or PCP, however, salvia's effects last for a shorter time, generally up to an hour.

Salvia divinorum is not one of the several varieties of common ornamental garden plants known as Salvia.

No known deaths have been attributed to salvia's use, but it was listed as a factor in one Delaware teen's suicide two years ago.

"Parents, I would say, are pretty clueless," said Jonathan Appel, an assistant professor of psychology and criminal justice at Tiffin University in Ohio who has studied the emergence of the substance. "It's much more powerful than marijuana."

Salvia's short-lasting effects and the fact that it is currently legal may make it seem more appealing to teens, lawmakers say. In the Delaware suicide, the boy's mother told reporters that salvia made his mood darker but he justified its use by citing its legality. According to reports, the autopsy found no traces of the drug in his system, but the medical examiner listed it as a contributing cause.

Mike Strain, Louisiana's Agriculture and Forestry Commissioner and former legislator, helped his state in 2005 become the first to make salvia illegal, along with a number of other plants. He said the response has been largely positive.

"I got some hostile e-mails from people who sold these products," Strain said. "You don't make everybody happy when you outlaw drugs. You save one child and it's worth it."

An ounce of salvia leaves sells for around $30 on the Internet. A liquid extract from the plant, salvinorin A, is also sold in various strengths labeled "5x" through "60x." A gram of the 5x strength, about the weight of a plastic pen cap, is about $12 while 60x strength is around $65. And in some cases the extract comes in flavors including apple, strawberry and spearmint.

Web sites such as tout the product with images like a waterfall and rainbow and include testimonials like "It might sound far fetched, but I experience immortality."

Among those who believe the commotion over the drug is overblown is Rick Doblin of the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies, a nonprofit group that does research on psychedelic drugs and whose goal is to develop psychedelics and marijuana into prescription medication.

"I think the move to criminalize is a misguided response to a very minimal problem," Doblin said.

Doblin said salvia isn't "a party drug," "tastes terrible" and is "not going to be extremely popular." He disputes the fact teens are its main users and says older users are more likely.

"It's a minor drug in the world of psychedelics," he said.

It's hard to say how widespread the use of salvia is. Because it is legal in most states, law enforcement officials don't compile statistics.

A study of released last month by the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services found just under 2 percent of people age 18 to 25 surveyed in 2006 reported using salvia in the past year. A 2007 survey of more than 1,500 San Diego State University students found that 4 percent of participants reported using salvia in the past year.

Brandenburg's bill would make salvia and its extract controlled substances in the same class as marijuana and LSD.

Florida state Sen. Evelyn Lynn, whose committee unanimously passed the salvia bill on Tuesday, said the drug should be criminalized.

"I'd rather be at the front edge of preventing the dangers of the drug than waiting until we are the 40th or more," she said.

2. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Thanks for the post. I saw an article in today's paper about this. I had never heard of it before! And it's legal right now!!

I just hope the article serves to warn parents, and not to give some teens ideas they didn't already have!

3. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

Let's just pass another law.
    That will help, just like with marijuana. Making it illegal has really helped our country, right?

Sigh, Nutmeg probably gives a stronger high than Salvia.
    The "operative word" is "unpleasant". Never tried Salvia, but have heard that causes a brief high with a following depression. Not a strong candidate for abuse.

Anyway, guess I'm just tired of Wars on Illiteracy, Poverty, Drugs, and whatever else wars our politicians like to get us stirred up about.
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

people will find another way to get high no matter what, if they have a strong enough desire to... especially a cheap high. Other things could end up being worse.

Heck, even a bunch of poppyseeds brewed into a 'tea' can have enough opioid in it to make one high, even overdose... every lot of poppyseeds depending on growing conditions has different amounts left, despite the fact supposedly the processing has done away with it all. I thought it was a hoax at first, but after looking online, found it is true...

5. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

Plant based drugs, are not nearly as dangerous as meth.

If kids feel they need to experiment at that rebellious time in life. I would much rather they tried Marjauna, or this Salvia then meth.

Anyways i'm too tired to expand on my thinking today.

I'm not advocating kids do drugs at all, just know many have survived marjuana just fine, but meth is another ball of wax.
    My hubby was in on busting a meth house last week and has been feeling bad ever since. His tongue and throat broke out with blisters and sores, and he's been really tired.

6. bct

bct Active Member

I grew this plant a number of years ago when I was really interested in the genus Salvia, in the sage family. I guess I had about 90 or 100 different species from all over the world. Salvia div. was the most boring salvia I ever grew; it never flowers apparently, but is propagated by cuttings as it has been for many thousands of years by the religious cultures that use it.

So, no flowers = BORING to me. As for the taste, the leaves are very bitter, I know because I tasted one out of curiosity. Didn't like it, it reminded me of the peyote I took when I was in my 20's, horribly bitter.

Anyone who thinks this plant should be made illegal should go bark up a different tree in my humble opinion.

7. Doober

Doober New Member

with all of you. I had posted for those who had teen kids. To be quite honest I support whole heartily the legalization of MJ.

Also, most kids would never have heard of this until the news started posting on it and now it will be a hot item.

I think that many drugs that are processed into narcotics from plants like the poppy plant should be ilegal (not the plant itself). But if you can walk up to a tree or plant and pull some buds off of it roll it and smoke it, ain't nothing wrong in my opinion.

Just needs some regulation in place like alcohol. Alcohol kills more in 1 year than MJ does in 5. Maybe some better lobbyist is needed for this. But oh well, these are the times we live in.

I mean it took a long time for gays to be accepted and be able to marry in some places. I know they can in my state and I have some good friends who are now married because of this.

Some day the world will be right. Too bad we may not ba around to witness it though.

Peace all.
  8. stranger

stranger New Member

A friend a mine was curious about it so he got some. He found it interesting. I didn't like it. I took one hit and that was enough for me. My friend was laughing and could not stop. He was sitting next to me and I couldn't see anything past him. I could see him but nothing else. I could see the computer screen in front of me and the ground. I even walked out side (while holding on to the wall) and I couldn't see much. it only lasted about a minute or two and thank god cause i'll never do that again. It tasted the way tetra food (fish food) smells. I wouldn't speak well of it.

As it is if I stand up too quick i get faint. If you ever been sober and blacked out it's the same feeling and for the same reason except the lack of oxygen in your blood is caused by the smoke. At least this is what we read on the internet... and as we all know... if it's on the interwebs it must be true! :p jk

But in all seriousness no one could smoke this and drive.
    Granted there's always that one person that'll do it.
  9. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I read this post with interest because our local news station recently ran a segment on the growing dangers and popularity of Salvia. They actually interviewed the proprietor of a head shop that sold Salvia, and he had the audacity to basically blow it off as if it were nothing and compared it to a can of Red Bull, claiming it was no different and you can walk into any store and buy Red Bull. The only bull is what he was slinging, since there's nocomparison between the evils of the two. I sure hope some naive parents didn't buy his line and think that Salvia is no more dangerous than a canned energy drink.