Beware of ADRs from Antibiotics and thinking it is a Herx

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by kooky, Jun 6, 2008.

1. kooky

kooky New Member

I am posting as much as possible. This information maybe life saving or at the very least avoid further nasty symptoms and more disability.

So many of us fell ill follwing an infection or surgery. And also, so many of us did not realize at the time, that Fluoroquinolones antibiotics can and do cause debilitating illness and long lasting dammage. I would urge you to read this and go on the site to compare symptoms and you will find many of you can relate.

I have also joined the www.favc.org forum for tips and exchange of info. There is also a live chat on Thursdays. The board is well moderated and as well as being serious, there are kool topics and threads.
    =========================================================

Adverse Reactions to Fluoroquinolone Antibiotics - PLEASE READ

Avoid fluoroquinolone and its derivatives antibiotics. The symptoms and ADRs is very similar to Lariam/Melfoquine.

This class of antibiotics includes the drugs Levaquin, Cipro, Avelox, Factive, Floxin and many others which are being prescribed at an alarming rate for simple infections.

The onset of symptoms can be delayed for months (and sometimes even years) after a person has stopped taking them. These adverse reactions can be extremely debilitating and sometimes result in permanent disability.

Public Citizen has recently filed a lawsuit against the FDA for failing to place black box warnings on the prescription labels about the tendon damage (which can even result in complete tendon rupture) that these drugs are capable of inflicting.

It is known that these drugs can cause chronic fatigue, peripheral neuropathy, arthralgias, fibromyalgia and a number of other illnesses such as thyroid dysfunction, diabetes and heart problems including heart failure. Supportive evidence show that these antibioitics can and do cause mitochondrial dysfunction.

If you are interested in finding out more and learning how to prevent further ill health, please look at the following sites:

http://noquinolones.proboards58.com/index.cgi (especially this thread: http://noquinolones.proboards58.com/inde....isplay&thread=5) or you can try www.favc.org which is the home page.

Do check this forum, it is well moderated, informative, live chats on Thursday nites, as well as being serious, it also has some fun and chilling out threads.

List of symptoms: www.fluorquinolones.org (a list of symptoms described here matches a lot of our symptoms).

2. jess

jess New Member

Hi, great info and thanks for the website. I have so many of those symptoms. I have taken the levaquin and cipo quite a few times. I believe I may be experiencing the toxic effects from them. Yes, I have been sick since childhood and have high ebv titers but I have worsened in 6 years. That was my last Levaquin doasage. My joint and muscle problems are pretty intense. Now I am armed with info I can present to my DR.s. Especially my LLMD who does not think I have Lyme. Maybe he's right about that. Anyhow, thanks again, Jess