Beware of some antibiotics severe side effects

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kooky, Jun 10, 2008.

1. kooky

kooky New Member

Adverse Reactions to Fluoroquinolone Antibiotics - PLEASE READ

Avoid fluoroquinolone and its derivatives antibiotics. The symptoms and ADRs is very similar to Lariam/Melfoquine.

This class of antibiotics includes the drugs Levaquin, Cipro, Avelox, Factive, Floxin and many others which are being prescribed at an alarming rate for simple infections.

The onset of symptoms can be delayed for months (and sometimes even years) after a person has stopped taking them. These adverse reactions can be extremely debilitating and sometimes result in permanent disability.

Public Citizen has recently filed a lawsuit against the FDA for failing to place black box warnings on the prescription labels about the tendon damage (which can even result in complete tendon rupture) that these drugs are capable of inflicting.

It is known that these drugs can cause chronic fatigue, peripheral neuropathy, arthralgias, fibromyalgia and a number of other illnesses such as thyroid dysfunction, diabetes and heart problems including heart failure. Supportive evidence show that these antibioitics can and do cause mitochondrial dysfunction.

If you are interested in finding out more and learning how to prevent further ill health, please look at the following sites: (especially this thread: or you can try which is the home page.

Do check this forum, it is well moderated, informative, live chats on Thursday nites, as well as being serious, it also has some fun and chilling out threads.

List of symptoms: (a list of symptoms described here matches a lot of our symptoms).

Take Care

2. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

I was treated w/Levaquin & several antiboitics 18 months ago for an ear infection that wouldn't let up. I had, during the infection, lost 70% of my hearing in one ear. Incredible pain. I wonder if that's what's triggered what I think is CFS which I hadn't been diagnosed w/in the past. I always thought that I had CFS because I was ALWAYS fatigued and had to nap on lunch breaks when I used to be able to work. But the last several months I fall asleep w/o barely any warning. I literally have to take myself off the road to nap. I sleep more than I am awake.

Regarding the antibiotics, I told them that I didn't want to take anything that could worsen my FMS. But, so many of the meds didn't work that they had to use Levaquin & Cipro.