Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We have a lot of new spammers every day posting here. Most of the posts themselves make no sense, which leads me to believe they are coming from some foreign country. Many of these spammers are using the same ISP which brings to mind a bunch of spammers sitting around an internet café in some third-world country. One thing they all have in common is a link or a URL. Whatever you do, DO NOT click on these. The spammers could only be trying to sell something but they could also be hackers. It is not safe to engage them. If you see such posts, please click on Report at the bottom of the post. You will remain anonymous but we will be able to remove the offending posts.

Thanks to all our spam warriors who report these spammers so we can get rid of them.

Love, Mikie
  2. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

I agree, it's annoyingly full with them. Very unpleasant on a forum for people with little energy as is.

The nonsense text is a bundle of popular searchterms they use to be found on the search engines. You can use the ip to find out what country they are from and it probably is one and the same person most of the time. Aren't you able to block the IP address instead of the individual usernames? I stopped opening their posts and just click mark all read since it only causes me unnecesarry irritation and I don't have the energy to waste on them.

They are very easy to recognize and keep track of for moderators, just open the what's new list and the titles show itself they are spam (the nonsense titles or the hi new here or finally signed up) so you shouldn't have a problem removing them or keeping track of the new ones.

Thank you all moderators for keeping the boards spam free.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks, Soul. You ought to be a mod. When someone is banned, his or her computer IP cannot be used here but the ISP will still work. Otherwise, public wi-fi libraries or internet cafes would not allow anyone using them to come here.

Love, Mikie
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2014