Beware of used auto sales too

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by joyfully, Feb 15, 2007.

1. joyfully

joyfully New Member

A friend of mine recently looked at a used car to purchase. Thankfully, a friend went along who happened to notice alot of rust under the carpet in the trunk area.

Beware. Some of the cars that were written off as total loss by insurance companies from the hurricane ARE BEING SOLD by individuals.

Be careful. If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is trouble.

There are ways of tracing the car's history through the vin???? number on the car. It is well worth the $ to find out the used car's history; especially since unscrupulous people are selling cars that flooded in the hurricane.
  2. sisland

sisland New Member

Good Information! another consumer alert! always nice to Know about these!
  3. caffey

caffey New Member

I am not from the US. My son's bmw needed a lot of work. More than the car was worth. Went to a dealer. They offered him xxx for it. They sold it to another dealer. He checks it out today and they are selling it for double what they gave him and he said with the amount of repairs it needed he said there was no way they could have repaired it and made a profit on it. It is the law where I I am from that you have to purchase a previous owners package. They also have to tell you if the car has been in an accident. He almost bought a car ( if it is too good to be true it is) and at the last moment found out it was in an accident with $6000 damage. If someone pressures you back off and run. Again thanks for the warning.
  4. joyfully

joyfully New Member

You wrote, " If someone pressures you back off and run"

YEP, I totally agree. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is too good to be true.

Follow your gut instinct.
  5. emttoni

emttoni New Member

WE bought a used car from a dealer and didnt go thru carfax and look it up, didnt have the extra money with having to buy a car suddenly.

Now, we have done nothing but put more money into this car and the dealer has almost had it as much us we have to do repairs on it.

Now this is a 2003 Chevy Impala, how can this car have this much wrong with it?? It is a lemon big time and we are stuck with it cuase right now cant afford to get rid of it but also cant afford to keep it.

Sorry to rant off on your post but we will not buy another car without checking out the past info and I believe if you ask the dealer about the past on the car they have to give it to you.
  6. caffey

caffey New Member

With the car my son bought. We went to sign the papers. It wasn't there. They said they were having it e-tested. He went back the next day to sign the papers and noticed a crack in the windshield which wasn't there on Fri. So he made them fix it before signing the papers. Bottom line check the vehicle carefully before signing. Again take your time and don't be pressured. They always get you because usually you are in a dire situation and not thinking clearly. He was in that situation and I think they were a little annoyed because he kept going back before making a decision. Too bad!!!