Bible Study....April 23

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by Lms526, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Lms526

Lms526 New Member

Hello everyone! Nancy (Manager) has graciously given me the opportunity to provide this week's study. Before we begin, please join me in a brief word of prayer "Heavenly Father, I pray that You would reveal the truth of your Word to each one of us. Please speak to us and help us to be open to whatever You wish to say to us. May we rightly divide Your Word of truth. May we bring You honor and glory through this study. In Jesus' Name, Amen."

Okay...The passage I have selected for study this week is
    1st John 4:16-18. Here is the text from the NIV version

1st John 4:16-20
    16And so we know and rely on the love God has for us.
    God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him. 17In this way, love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment, because in this world we are like him. 18There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

19We love because he first loved us. 20If anyone says, "I love God," yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen. 21And he has given us this command: Whoever loves God must also love his brother.

1. In verse 16, God tells us to "know and rely on the love God has for us." What do you think this means? How is it accomplished?

2. What do you think the phrase "God is love (verse 17)
    means? What does that tell you about God's character?

3. Can you see any connection between these verses and 1st Corinthians 13? If so what are they?

4. What are some practical ways that we can show God's love to others? Family? Friends? Strangers? Non Christians? Enemies? How do you love someone who is difficult to love?

5. Describe a time when you experienced God's love through another person. How did that experience make you feel? Has there ever been a time when someone sacrificed something for you only for the reason that they loved you? Have you every sacrificed something for someone without letting them know it was you? What are some other motives other than love that can prompt us to "sacrifice" for someone else?

Well...that should get a pretty good discussion going. I am anxious to read the responses. I will do a wrap-up on Thursday.

Lms526
    [This Message was Edited on 04/24/2007]
  2. 143alan

143alan New Member

and the timing couldn't be more perfect. Praise the Lord he is never too early or too late. Thanks for helping me this week Lms. I will read these and respond later because it's pretty late tonight and I have a training in another county tomorrow so have to leave really early.

This is soooo good. You did a great job!!

Thanks again,
    Nancy
  3. Lms526

Lms526 New Member

Thank you so much for sharing. I am constantly amazed and how tender your heart is towards God. You definitely said some throught provoking things. I loved your story about the man from the minimart. I didn't think it was trivial at all. Acts of love are NEVER trivial. Other people may think so, but I am convinced that God does not.

I also LOVED your story about the guy who sacrificed for your out of love. Thanks for sharing.

Lms526
  4. 143alan

143alan New Member

This was really thought provoking, and a topic I really needed this week after what happened to me on this board over the weekend.

1. This verse is perfect for me this week because I had to keep reminding myself that despite what others think, God does love me and relying on his love kept me strong. I think one way relying on God's love is accomplished is by reading every account of his love in the Bible, the greatest of these being that he sacrificed his son so that we can have everlasting life.
    2. God is the creator of everything, every person, every emotion, EVERYTHING. It tells us that we can look to the source of love to find the definition of love and the example of love we are to follow.
    3. Love is more important than anything else and since God is the creator of love he is more important than anything else. If we use God's love as our foundation and then build our lives on it, we will have the most important things in creation and be able to help someone else build their lives on the same love.
    4. I think the best way to show someone love who is difficult to love is to always be there for them in the practical ways of their life, in ways they will understand and relate to. To not be condemning someone because they don't agree with us. To not tear people down. God calls for us to lift each other up. I don't think people know love by someone saying that they love you as much as by showing that they love you. Christ showed us how much he loved us when he died for us.
    5. Recently when I was out of work because I had back surgery a person that works in my office but in a different department, a person I don't know very well but have talked to time-to-time called me and wanted to come visit me. I said sure come on over and gave her my address. We had a great visit and before she left she said that she and her husband had prayed about it and asked God where they were to bless someone with their tithes. They don't attend a church. She said that God spoke to them and told them to bless me with their tithes. This is a person I hardly know and have no real connection with other than a casual passing in the halls at work relationship. She gave me a card as she was leaving and after she left I went to read the card and there was a check in it for $500.00. That is probably the most wonderful thing anyone has every done for me, that I knew it was led by God.

I love to do things for people and not let them know it was me, or just surprise someone with something to make them feel better. I've been a single mom for 16 years, I don't have a lot of anything especially cash, but I have been so blessed and God has shown his love for me so many times through other people that I know if I pay attention he will show me who he wants ME to bless. I think that's one way he works and one way he shows his love is through other people who are sensitive to his calling. This can really require a lot of faith sometimes. I remember one time I only had about 160.00 in the bank to last a month, buy groceries, put gas in the car, etc. A girl in my caseload had small children and lived without electricity for a month because she couldn't afford to have it cut on yet. It was getting very cold and God put it on my heart to go have this girl's lights cut on. I was trying to ignore it because I knew I would have no money left if I did that. He kept bringing this girl to mind and touching my heart for her so a couple of days later I went and had the girls lights cut on. Because of my job I had to make sure she would never know who had done it because I can't play favorites with my clients, of course I never told her. She called to tell me that her lights were now on but she wouldn't be able to bring in verification for her case because she had not cut them on and didn't know who did. I told her not to worry about it I'd take care of reporting it on her case. She was so happy that this had happened she was crying and said that God must have been watching out for her. Anyway, the next day I didn't know how I was going to buy groceries we needed and decided I wouldn't worry about it and just trust God. That day in the mail I got a check(can't remember why) it was for $300.00. It is so exciting to see God at work.

Thanks for the bible study Lms526, you're a blessing.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/24/2007]
  5. 143alan

143alan New Member

I really like reading what you wrote, it helped me so much today.

Thanks
    Nancy
  6. Lms526

Lms526 New Member

Thank you so much for your input. You had so many wonderful things to say! I loved the story about the woman who giave you $500. I think it is wonderful also what you did for that young woman who was a client of yours. It is not always easy to sacrifice for someone anonomously. I think it is human nature to want to tell others about our sacrifice. But we always need to remember. God sees all. Even the things done in secret. Both good and bad. Thanks for sharing.

Lms526
  7. 143alan

143alan New Member

Thanks, I'm just the opposite than the mainstream. I never want anyone to know the things I do for others. I think I'd rather have my glory in heaven than on earth, if you know what I mean.

I have a co-worker that spreads the word through the office every time she does even the slightest thing for someone else. She also makes a huge deal out of the smallest things to the point that it makes me feel so uncomfortable listening to her say what she has done for someone else. I feel so embarassed for the person even though their not standing there. Do you know what I mean? I don't know if I'm expressing it right. To me there's just so much more joy in keeping it to myself.

I also think we are blessed more when we are more of a blessing. Thanks again for the Bible Study, it's going great I think. Of course there are always those who read it but don't respond and they are always just as important to me as those who do respond and I know you feel the same way.

Have you decided about taking it over yet. It doesn't matter to me either way, I just think you are more gifted with it than I am. Let me know!
    Nancy
  8. Lms526

Lms526 New Member

I posted a response under your post Lms526 regarding the Bible study. But you must not have seen it. I spent some time praying and journaling about taking over the study last night. I believe it is something God is asking me to do. It definitely means stepping outside my comfort zone, but that is something God has really been challenging me about. I know that as long as I rely completely on Him and follow His leading, everything will be fine.

Lms526
  9. Lms526

Lms526 New Member

Well everybody. I feel this week's study went very well. I really enjoyed reading everyone's imput. This concludes the study for this week. I will be doing the study from now on. I will post a new study probably Monday. God bless!

Lms526