Big Fat Swollen Painful Hands Help !!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by sharon5650, Jun 5, 2005.

1. sharon5650

sharon5650 New Member

Every morning I wake up with big fat swollen hands, which are unbearable to close. Usually they get better after a bit of time, but now it is taking much longer, sometimes all day and night. I am drinking water, as much as I can, but nothing is happening. Sometimes I wake up feeling so so sick, along with the big fat hands, I actually hate to go to sleep, for fear of what the morning is going to be all about. It is late here in Montreal, and my hands are still so swollen, and I can barely close them. Does anyone else have this problem, and if so, what is it, and what can I do about it. sharon 5650
  2. sharon5650

sharon5650 New Member

bump for big fat swollen hands
  3. naturebaby

naturebaby New Member

Salut Sharon

This was one of the first symptoms I had and it still gives me a lot of trouble.

If you haven't already been checked for arthritis, you should ask to be tested or examined. I have osteoarthritis but it doesn't explain the puffiness and swollenness of my fingers, not just around the joints, but right the way through. My ring size has gone from a 6 to a 10, and not just from gaining a few pounds.

I also find it hard to close my hands or make a fist, especially in the morning. My doctor put me on a mild diuretic for hand swelling. It helps some.

Mostly I rely on arthritis rubs like A535. I also have a paraffin wax spa which is wonderful but not practical when it's this hot outside!

Bextra worked best for my hand pain, but of course it's now off the market. Aargh.

I also asked my pharmacist to note on my file that I need "flip top" lids on my meds. I use other gadgets like jar openers, electric can opener (which I never had before), etc. I'm careful when carrying mugs of coffee or tea, or jars, because I find I fumble alot now. My handwriting has gotten terrible and I use my computer for everything now, even my grocery lists.

Wish I had more ideas for you......wishing you well, nature
  4. jeanmarie

jeanmarie New Member

I have big fat swollen hands too. In fact sometimes my whole body swells up. I relate to how you feel.

I have osteoarthritis.DJD,DDD and fibromyalgia,but I have a sneaking suspision that something else is going on.

I can't even wear my wedding rings and that bothers me alot.

My primary physician ran a bunch of lab work on me,gave me an EKG,and sent me home with a script for Lasix.

I still have the problem and it is driving me up a wall.

I have another apt coming up and I will persue this.

I'm sorry I could not give you the answers that we both need,but I would suggest that you go ahead and continue on with testing through your doctor.

Let us know how it works out for you,
    jeanmarie
  5. jeanmarie

jeanmarie New Member

I'll definately give that a try.
    hugs 4 u,
    jeanmarie
  6. sharon5650

sharon5650 New Member

bump for big fat swollen hands
  7. jeanmarie

jeanmarie New Member

bump again.......
  8. Huggabugg123

Huggabugg123 New Member

Sharon, I have both a problem with my hands and feet swelling. It's just like you described. Please talk to you doctor about this. Before I was diagnosed with FMS, I was having lots of problems with restless painful legs and my hands and feet were swollen and painful. Like a pervious post, I was given Bextra to help control the swelling etc. The Bextra gave me a lot of relief, but since it has been taken off of the market I am in the process of finding something else that works. I have been tested for arthritis. However, my results came back as Synovitis without Arthritis. Which basically means that I only have the swelling and pain from excessive fluid build up. I truly recommend that you talk to you doctor and be tested.

So far, I have not developed any other symptoms that resemble arthritis. I still wake up in the mornings with my hands and feet hurting and sometimes shaped in a C. The excessive fluid build up irritates the sheaths in my fingers and toes. So far I have had one Trigger Finger Release surgery and I am in the process of trying to reverse a second Trigger Finger in a different finger.

Heat is suposed to be one of the best things to help relief swelling in the joints. For me, heat only causes me more swelling and more pain.

Here is some more information that may help:

Synovitis is the inflammation of a synovial (joint-lining) membrane, usually painful, particularly on motion, and characterized by swelling, due to effusion (fluid collection) in a synovial sac.

Description of Synovitis
    Synovial fluid is a transparent, viscid fluid secreted by the synovial membrane and found in joint cavities, bursae, and tendon sheaths.

Analysis of synovial fluid aspirated from a joint can confirm or rule out various joint diseases such as traumatic arthritis, osteoarthritis, gout, and rheumatoid arthritis.

Causes and Risk Factors of Synovitis
    Synovitis is a major problem in rheumatoid arthritis, in juvenile arthritis, in lupus, and in psoriatic arthritis. It may also be associated with rheumatic fever, tuberculosis, trauma, or gout.

Rheumatoid arthritis involves synovitis. In rheumatoid arthritis, the synovial membrane lining the joint becomes inflamed. The cells in the membrane divide and grow and inflammatory cells come into the joint from other parts of the body.

Symptoms of Synovitis
    Because of the mass of inflammatory cells in rheumatoid arthritis, the joint appears swollen and feels puffy or boggy to the touch. The increased blood flow that is a feature of the inflammation makes the joint warm. The cells release enzymes into the joint space which causes further pain and irritation. If the process continues for years, the enzymes may gradually digest the cartilage and bone of the joint leading to chronic pain and degenerative changes.

Diagnosis of Synovitis
    In addition to the clinical presentation (warm, red, and swollen joints), the diagnosis may be helped by Synovial Fluid Analysis. This is a test that examines the lubricating fluid secreted by synovial membranes. The test is useful in the diagnosis of some types of arthritis (primarily those caused by infection, gout, or pseudogout).

The test takes about half an hour and usually is done in a physician's office or hospital. No special preparations are necessary. The skin over the joint is cleaned with an antiseptic. Usually, a local anesthetic is injected. Using a thin needle, the physician will withdraw a sample of fluid for analysis, including culture of the fluid if infection is a possible diagnosis, and examination for crystals to diagnose gout or pseudogout.

If needed, medication (usually a corticosteroid preparation) can be injected into the joint space through this needle after the specimen is taken.

Treatment of Synovitis
    Synovitis is treated with anti-inflammatory drugs ranging from aspirin to ibuprofen to corticosteroids. Specific treatment is based upon both the presumed cause of the synovitis and the particular patient's response and level of tolerance of any particular medication.

I hope this helps.

Huggabugg

[This Message was Edited on 06/06/2005]
  9. hnback

hnback New Member

I've had the swollen painful hands for about 5 years. My friend made a cloth pillow filled with corn feed kernels (from a Co-op)and told me to place it in the microwave for three minutes and then wrap my hands with it. I do this before I go to sleep. The weight of it seems to keep my hands from curling/cramping while I sleep. I repeat this as soon as I wake in the morning and it seems to help get my day started. I've tried aspercreme, and differnet brands of muscle rubs but find that any lotion applied with massage works the about the same. So, I do the massage several times a day. I've even tried squeezing one of those gel filled balls to excerise my hands but didn't find much relief. I have this pain constantly but there are times it is beyond what I can handle. It really bothers me that I can't wear my rings, I feel naked.
    About a month ago, my feet started doing the same. It's all I can do to walk to the bathroom after waking. I recently moved into a new house and my bedroom is upstairs. I am having the worst time getting down the stairs. It takes about 10 minutes to loosen my ankles enough to get around. I have had times where my pain was so intense that I needed a cane or walker to get around. I am planning on installing a handrail along both sides of the stairs. I am only 35 yrs old and I really hate to think how I will be in the future.
    I asked my doc if I needed to find out which arthritis I have. He said it basically didn't matter and even if we discovered that I had RA, the treatment is usually worse than the RA.
    Helen