Big Hi From Callum

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Callum, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Callum

Callum New Member

Hi "Chatties"! I have very limited access to a computer, but I wanted to drop a quick note!

Things here have been wet (I'm working in Iowa - Theater under water; in an alternative space), tiring (I sand-bagged - not smart when you have CFS, but I felt like I had to do my part. The flare only lasted four days) and homesick (the second show closes in ten days, and I can go home to Chicago and my partner.)

I hope that all is well with all of you, and I can't wait to go back and read the posts to see what you've all been up to!

ps: I gave up Aspartame two weeks ago, and although I crave diet soda every day, I will never go back. I FEEL SO MUCH BETTER!

2. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

So wonderful to hear an update from you!!!!!!!!

I was hoping you've had a wonderful run of success with your summer theater work.

Take care, don't overdo and we'll look forward to more posts from you on your return.

3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Great to see you back again. And wonderful to hear you are feeling better.

I am feeling better myself, less depressed. Due to a new med (generic for Effexor), Vitamin D, and bee pollen. On the other hand I seem to be angry most of the time. Sometimes about big things (the destruction of the natural world) and sometimes about small things like my teeth which are determined to fall out.

So where are you in the Hawkeye state? My aunt wrote me from Rochester, MN, some months ago and said Cedar Rapids was destroyed by the flood and fire.

That was very noble of you to participate in flinging sandbags around. I hope you are fully restored and won't do so again.

Am reading a big book you might like to look at. "The Andrew Sisters" by H. Arlo Nimmo. Nimmo was a Professor at Cal State, San Francisco.

Gives a lot of info about show biz in the 30s and 40s. Other stars appear from time to tie: Bing Crosby, Al Jolson,
    Abbot and Costello.

Is your alternative space a barn? Are Judy and Mickey in the cast? Are Marjorie Maine and Edward Everette Horton around to add color and comedy?

Send more details when you can. Regards to Gary.

4. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

You probably don't know me, but Hi, I am Mickey, and welcome back. Sounds like you have been really busy. I bet you were happy to be back home to your loved ones, I know I would be.

Nice to meet you and come visit on the porch if you have the energy sometime.

Anyway, it sounds like you have an interesting life. I would love to do theatre, but I definetly don't have the energy anymore to do much except go to work and go home. LOL

Again, nice to meet you.

5. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

lovely to hear from you, sorry about the flair but now wonder after throwing sandbags around.

We've had rain here in Scotland every day since beginning of June but at least, in my area, we dont get much flooding. Crazy weather when we should all be in sunshine.

I hope the next ten days goes quickly for you so you can get home to your loved one and dry land hopefully.

6. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

Good to see you posting again. You have been missed on the board.

What a brave soul to try sandbagging with CFS. I can't imagine the flare. I've never experienced weather like that. Where I live it is rare to experience that type of weather except for isolated areas.

Glad that you will be able to go home soon and see your partner. Home, Sweet Home!

Take care and we will be "talking" with you again soon.
  7. jole

jole Member

How did you do it???? Obviously, because you're such a great person, 'cause you knew what it would do to you!

It's great to hear from you again. Sorry your summer is such a shambles, but hope you're getting some good shows in so it's not a total disappointment.

So happy that you are still able to do what you love, and hope it continues for a long, long time. I wish I could see one of your performances!! Enjoy your last few days....and wishing you a happy return to Chicago.

My best to you****Jole****
  8. Callum

Callum New Member

I get five minutes on a coffee shop computer....

Nancy - thanks for thinking of me this summer! I hope that the summer has treated you well, and that you have treated yourself well - look forward to catching up!

Rock - I'm glad that the Effexor has been helping!!! Perhaps uncooperative teeth would make anyone cranky?! I will look into the Andrew Sisters' book - always enjoyed their music. I'm 25 miles from Cedar Rapids, in Iowa City. The flooding here seemed a little less devastating as a whole (not by much), but the water stayed much longer here than in Cedar Rapids.

Hi Mickey - don't give up on the theater dream! I got sick fifteen years ago, and just returned to the stage four years ago. Each year gets easier!

Hi Rosie!! I so much want to visit Scotland some day. The midwest is usually more moderate in rainfall, but the global weather pattern change definitely seems to have an effect.

1Sweetie and Jole - Hi, and thanks for the sweet words. For the sandbagging, I could do it only because I knew the flare would be terrible but only last a few days. The destruction of the flood... well, the students here at the University of Iowa theater department will have to spend the next year in an old Menards, and some of them don't have a new place to stay yet.

Will catch up when I get back - keep a place on the porch for me!

9. Marta608

Marta608 Member

So good to hear from you! I'll look forward to your return in a couple of weeks - after you rest up.

Take care,

10. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I was born in C.R. and you are in my old stomping grounds. I took piano and oboe lessons in I.C.....hard to imagine Hancher flooded. I remember when they were building it. C.R. did look pretty terrible and I am sure it is far from what it used to be, although I bet Quaker Oats is up and running.

Enjoy your summer theatre.....
  11. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Great to see a post from you!

Good to hear you are holding up even through treading the boards and bagging the buildings! Amazing!

Must be the new aspartame free bod. Good for you!

Very much looking forward to your return :~)