Biggest moon in 30 years Sat!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by victoria, Mar 17, 2011.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

March 16, 2011: Mark your calendar. On March 19th, a full Moon of rare size and beauty will rise in the east at sunset. It's a super "perigee moon"--the biggest in almost 20 years.

"The last full Moon so big and close to Earth occurred in March of 1993," says Geoff Chester of the US Naval Observatory in Washington DC. "I'd say it's worth a look."

Full Moons vary in size because of the oval shape of the Moon's orbit. It is an ellipse with one side (perigee) about 50,000 km closer to Earth than the other (apogee): diagram. Nearby perigee moons are about 14% bigger and 30% brighter than lesser moons that occur on the apogee side of the Moon's orbit.
    http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2011/16mar_supermoon/

--
    And it should not cause any disasters or be related to the earthquake:
    http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report_march-19-is-super-moon-a-myth-or-science_1520973

So enjoy with a relaxed mind...
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I am a Cancer and am ruled by the moon. Contrary to popular belief, I feel better during a full moon and usually, things go my way. I love a big rising full moon, especially when it's orange.

Love, Mikie
  3. spacee

spacee Member

I have seen too many ads for the TV show Biggest Losers.

It at first read to me "Biggest MOM in 30 years".

Thanks for the info!!

Spacee
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

I think the moon is already looking bigger!

Mikie, I've never felt any different with or without the moon...
    but when I was little I used to stare at it to see if it would change me some way somehow... yep I was a weird little kid I guess, maybe that's why? (Tho, take note: I'm not saying you are weird!)

[This Message was Edited on 03/18/2011]
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I don't find that weird at all. Does that make me weird :) I've always had my eyes on the sky whether it's the moon, stars, rainbows, clouds, etc. I find it all fastinating.

A lot of people I know believe the full moon brings all kinds of negative things and they hate full moons. I'm just more energized and feel in my elementt when it's full. When I learned to fly, we often went after work in the wintertime. The air is crisp and clear and very smooth. A big full moon looks even more spectacular when you're up in the sky.

I went out this morning as the moon was getting ready to set and looked at it through my binoculars. It was incredible. There was an article about it in today's newspaper. BTW, "Moonstruck" is one of my all-time favorite movies.

love, Mikie