Bilateral pain.....Both sides of body?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by atpeace, May 9, 2006.

1. atpeace

atpeace New Member

I was curious if my "typical" FMS pain is also typical of others.

Usually...not 100% of the time, but usually...my pain is in nearly the same place on both sides of my body. For example, when my feet hurt due to FM, my FEET hurt. It's very unusual for one foot to hurt. Same with my arms or hands or shoulders...whatever.

I'll frequently get a sharper stab of pain in one side or the other, but the aching and throbbing pain is almost always on both sides or not at all.

Is this common with anyone else?

The fact that my pain was simultaneously bi-lateral from the very beginning made me think that it must be something neurological. I mean, what are the chances of both arms getting carpal tunnel syndrome at the same exact time, or both hands hurting exactly the same with RA, etc.? Am I making any sense?

I've read numerous times that FMS is a neurological issue, which makes perfect sense to me, but then I've also heard it called a "soft-tissue disease" or "muscle" problem. If it is a neuro. disease, then why are we so often referred to rheumatologists? This isn't really a rheum. disease, is it?

I think some current findings that I've read linking FMS to a central nervous system imbalance seem pretty promising.

Any thoughts?

[This Message was Edited on 05/09/2006]
  2. atpeace

atpeace New Member

Prickles, I'm sorry you feel imbalanced! ;) {tongue in cheek}

Seriously, thanks for the input. I've never really heard anyone mention simultaneous pain on both sides before. Maybe I really AM weird, LOL!

Lori
  3. sherri_baby

sherri_baby New Member

I have one wrist brace and I have to rotate which wrist gets it first and feet and knees seem to be the same way. It is weird.

Sherri
  4. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

I have much less pain than many here, always present in some way. It is often, but not always, bilateral.
  5. atpeace

atpeace New Member

Thanks for your input!

I guess when it comes down to it, pain is pain....and it stinks. :(

Lori

6. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

My pain is on both sides. My doc said that FM pain tends to be in every quadrant. Up and down, and left and right. Mine definately is that way. I hurt all over!

God Bless.
  7. atpeace

atpeace New Member

Yeah, me, too. But not all at once, usually.

Sometimes my upper body is worse, sometimes my lower body. Sometimes it's just my hands and feet. Some days I have little or no pain, other days are not so good.

It's just weird to feel both of your feet (or hands, etc.) throbbing in the same way, almost in sync. It seems there has to be neurological reason (not just muscular) for that kind of sensation.

Lori