Binge Eating Any One have Trouble With?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gigio, Apr 2, 2006.

1. gigio

gigio New Member

I have such a terrible time with binging on sweets and bad carbs I ate a tremendous amount of chocolate a week ago and was sick all week, I felt so bad I wanted to die are a least go into the hospital! Does any one else have this problem. It has gotten worse with age. I am 47.
  2. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

Yep. I do it to. I am PMS'ing now, so it is real bad.

Part of the reason is I get low blood sugar ( you may have this too, it is common, hypoglycemia).

The other part is stress eating, when I feel bad ( which is alway's) I want to comfort myself and unforunately I do that with food.

There are way's to distract yourself, do something you like( read, calla friend, pray, meditate, etc.), drink lot's of water. Thirst can be preceived as hunger.

I understand and fight it everyday.

Claudia
  3. gigio

gigio New Member

Yeah I was diagnosed with low blood sugar when I was in high school. The doctor said he had never seen anyones drop so low. I kind of forgot about it over the years but I'm sure that is part of this whole ball of wax with fibro. My doctor is trying me on a new medication called topamax which is normally an anti-seizure med but has been used quite successfully for controlling binging. Has anyone else tried it?
  4. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

I seem to run on a craving/crash cycle. As soon as I come out of a devestating crash and can eat more, I crave carbs till they're all I can think about. I get a lot of anxiety until I give in to the cravings. I eat worse and worse stuff every day till a really bad food tips the scale, then I'm back in a crash again. It almost feels like I'm being controlled my aliens or something! lol

I'm back into the craving part of the cycle. I eat carbs till my poor stomach can't take anymore.

I don't know what to do about it. If I find something that helps, I'll try to write in and tell everybody about it. I talked to my ND the other day, and maybe she can figure it out. Somebody here said that the only way they handle it is by abstaining from carbs alltogether. I can't manage it though. I tried to get all the carbs out of the house, and then I ate a bunch of ketchup because it was the sweetest thing left! The cravings are sure not picky.

Do you find you stay up later at night on the days you binge? On the days I eat sugar, it really throws off my sleep schedule. I get this nervous energy running through me like a live wire.

Somebody cure the DD already!!!!!!!! Y'all with me on this???

Gigio, are you feeling better after the last chocolate binge? Are there sweets that don't make you AS sick as chocolate does, that you could eat instead of chocolate for your cravings? Or is it so strong that you don't really have a say in what you eat?

Really hope you are feeling better. I too wanted to just die, literally, during my last crash. I had been eating swiss rolls and Slowpokes (the cheaper version of Turtles) for a week, then I ran out of those and got desperate and ate some yucky old yeast donuts my brother brought home, and some stale dried-out chocolate cake that I found in a cupboard. Write back and tell us how today is going for you?

Fellow Cravers, just so I don't feel lonely, what was the worst thing you ever ate while craving? Or the weirdest thing? And what else helps you?

(((love))) Shannon
  5. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Once I ate a kilogram of honey (2.5 pounds) over a weekend while craving. Not even on anything, just straight out of the bottle!
  6. nice2meetu

nice2meetu New Member

I do. In fact this last binge has caused me a lot of problems. Its thrown my body into a bad flare and my whole body rhythm is off including my sleep causing insomnia.

I am going through a nasty divorce, and I've been drowning my sorrows in sweets and comfort foods, some comfort though when I am sick AND bloated, its not a pretty sight lol...

So how do we stop?!

Got any suggestions?
  7. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

a couple years ago...i gained weight on it..but i don't remember everything else...

i have that at the dr's office

jodie
  8. gigio

gigio New Member

Last Friday I ate 2 1/2 of the mid-size Hershey bars (not the huge ones and not the regular size ones) in about 2 hours. I always binge in the middle of the night cuz if no one can see me eat it doesn't count right? I was so disoriented you would have thought I was drunk all week and my joints and muscles hurt so bad! I am finally feeling better today and very very afraid of chocolate.
  9. gigio

gigio New Member

It really helps to have a place where people understand what you are going through. My family is all normal (Thank God!!!) so the don't understand Mom and her weird habits. I am feeling better today but I am soooo scared of chocolate and falling of the wagon again. It is soo hard when we have to eat our addiction in order to live.

Thank again!
  10. pinkrainbow

pinkrainbow New Member

hi..newbie from toronto..
    i have an eating disorder, anorexia/bulemia...when i got cfs 17 years ago, and then fm 2 years later...i was totally freaked when i was told i had candida, fungus and paraties..along with leaky gut syndrome, ibs, as parts of cfids or me...
    i had to go on a candida diet..well since ihad been to umpteen treatment centres, i had no idea how i could live on brown organic rice,vegetables and protein(with flax oil, nuts and seeds on top1)..no fruit...no ANYTHING else!
    but i did..for 10 years, along with taking bombs for drugs to kill all these things, which almost killed me
    ANGIO is so right..within a month of being on this diet, the craving for carbs go away!.....it's boring, but i was willing to eat cardboard 3 times a day nothing in between, if it would believe a migraine from head to toe, and being in bed for 6 years..eventaully i went into remission, which lasted 6 monthsm, but at the end of it..relapsed but on a new level..chair with neck support.
    sorry this is rather long..wanted to say hi...
    of particular interest is the bit read on this site about ssri's(usual rx of choice for eating disorders, i.e. prozac 80 mg., but with agitation and insomnia,i take 19mg..on this site, it's says taking ssris's, can cause auto-immune illness. that's really why i thought i'd join..when i went on prozac.. it was like speed, tons of energy, chrystal clear thinking, became quite thin..perhaps a tad manic...if i stop taking it a black depression sets in..but nothing else except paxil it's cousin helped..anyone have any comments?!!!
    love pinkrainbow in toront, ontario canada
  11. gigio

gigio New Member

I currently take Lexapro. It is a newer SSRI. Is doesn't have as many side affects as the other SSRIs.
  12. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

i also take lexapro. i recently saw my pcp and told her of this crazy eating frenzy i sometimes "find" myself in. like i'm being controlled by someone else, this just can't be me!!

she said she attributes that to depression/stress which is why we take lexapro to begin with. so therein lies the problem. i used to take celexa a few years back but feel that lexapro is such a better match for me.

okay, here's one that i still giggle about: around st. patrick's day i bought an irish soda bread cuz i love it. it was gone the same afternoon.........just me to blame!

my most wicked weakness is ice cream!! i can't tell you how many times i've over eaten it late in the eve when watching tv. once in a while i need to replace it the next day cuz my 8 yr old son sometimes will ask where the ice cream went. Good God. that makes me ill reading what i just typed. but true.

i had a lower molar pulled this morning and at this point my stomach is growling full bore. i've eaten a hard boiled egg and ginger ale so far. but you see, tonight i'll get more creative and get back in business.

WHICH IS WHY??? CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN IT? :)