Bio-Cranial Therapy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pepper, Nov 25, 2005.

1. pepper

pepper New Member

Has anyone heard of this treatment? Or even had it done?

I had a treatment last week and am scheduled for another one next week and am not sure about it.

My naturopath was just trained in it and is very anxious to see if it works on me. He is very hopeful and positive and I am trying to be too but I think that I am a guinea pig!

Just wondering if I am the only one around. Anyone?

2. Bambi

Bambi New Member

Quack Watch site and looking up this "therapy". They give a very lucid and simple explanation of why the skull cannot be moved without saws, drills and other equipment, and that the skull SEALS after adolescence. Their and other's opinions are that this is NOT a viable therapy.
  3. pepper

pepper New Member

I guess I should have known it was too good to be true.
    And my naturopath paid a lot of money for this training. I guess he was duped too. I will check that out now.

4. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

The skull plates can move slighty even in adulthood. I had West Nile Encephalitis/Meningitis and I think if the sutures in the cranium hadn't given a bit I would have died! I did get some therapy after the brain swelling had gone down and it was helpful.

This is a quote from a book on cranial therapy:

"Where the cranial bones meet is called a suture...some sutures, or "joints" interdigitate, like lacing your fingers, other sutures have sliding plates, and others butt up against each other like this. Contrary to popular belief, the sutures are not completely fused, but actually have the ability to allow very slight movement, about 1 tenth of a millimeter. Sutures operate similarly to the way vertebral discs work in the spine. They allow for compression and tension release so that if you suffer a strong blow to the head, the suture will accommodate that blow and lesson the likelihood of severe injury. Sutures also allow micro-movements in response to inter-cranial pressure."

[This Message was Edited on 11/26/2005]
  5. pepper

pepper New Member

The biocranial therapy does work on one tiny specific spot on the skull and then the practitioner pulls your head so that the neck gives a long slow stretch.

I looked through the quackwatch site for the first time ever although I have seen it referred to many times here. I agree with some of what the dr. on there says. I also disagree with a lot of it. Many of the therapies that he debunks have helped me or people I know.

So now I am not sure what to think of this therapy and am wondering if I should go for the second one on Wed. or not.

6. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

A while ago there was a post on the board from a husband who's wife was diagnosed with FM, he wrote a long story about everything they tried and went through and how this therapy has helped his wife to such an extent that she has her life back, maybe if you search on the board you can find it.

If I remember correctly the therapy is used to lessen tension in the dura mater, I e-mailed Dr. Marmorstein about this because I wanted to go for the treatment, unfortunately it is not available in my country, but he replied to all my e-mails and was very helpful.
    The one thing that bothers me is that he specifically said only a medical doctor and nobody else can be trained in this therapy.
    Keep us updated.

7. Bambi

Bambi New Member

not just Quack Watch, but that doesn't mean what I read was written in stone. The things I read could have been totally WRONG. How about calling the office of a brain surgeon and just asking? I'm sure they'd tell you the facts on whether the skull can be manipulated that way or not. Just an idea maybe.
  8. pepper

pepper New Member

I searched the site before posting this thread and couldn't find anything. I did find the story that you might be referring to when I googled Dr. Marmorstein. Very interesting!

The description of the treatment given on that site was a little different from what I had done. Is there more than one way to do BioCranial therapy I wonder.

Dr. Robert Boyd of Ireland is the one who developed this treatment and he is training chiropractors and naturopaths all over North America. No M.D.'s as far as I know. He is 70 and does not want to die without sharing this method supposedly.

Also this treatment has supposedly been used all over the U.K. and Europe since 1988. Strange that it hasn't made its way to S.A.

Have you ever considered going to Dr. Petrovic in S.A.? I tried his treatment but it did not agree with me. However, my CFS doctor has had several patients who became much better after using it.

I appreciate your input and found the web sites I ended up on very interesting and encouraging.

[This Message was Edited on 11/28/2005]
  9. pepper

pepper New Member

That is actually a good idea. My sister has a friend who works in the field - not exactly a brain surgeon, but he should know.

Thank you.
  10. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

I've heard his name being mentioned on this board but I have no idea what his protocol is and no clue that he is from SA.
    I'm going to look into this, thanks for telling me.
    If you have more questions I suggest you e-mail Dr. Marmorstein, he is really helpful and will answer you, he even offered to treat me if I had family in the US with whom I can stay, unfortunatly they live in Atlanta, and I think he is in Texas?

11. rwinestock

rwinestock Member

According to Ray Sahelian, MD, and according to the state of Pennsylvania who barred him from practicing Quackwatch, Steven Barrett is the Quack: He has made numerous fraudulent and often unsubstantiated statements toward legitimate peer-reviewed and tested alternative modalities.
    Is Stephen Barrett, M.D. a Quack?
    According to the Quackwatch website, Stephen Barrett, M.D. says this about quackery: Dictionaries define quack as "a pretender to medical skill; a charlatan" and "one who talks pretentiously without sound knowledge of the subject discussed."

Stephen Barrett, M.D. does not have a degree in nutrition science. He has been trained in psychiatry but has not practiced psychiatry for many, many years and has, to the best of my understanding, never practiced nutritional medicine. In my opinion, Stephen Barrett, M.D., when it comes to the field of medicinal use of nutritional supplements, can be easily defined as a Quack since he pretends to "have skills or knowledge in supplements and talks pretentiously" without actually having clinical expertise or sound knowledge of herbal and nutritional medicine.
    A person can't be an expert at a topic if they have not had hands-on experience. Would you feel comfortable having heart surgery by a doctor who has read all the medical books on how to surgically replace a heart valve but has never performed an actual surgical procedure in an operating room? Would you feel comfortable relying on nutritional advice from a retired psychiatrist, Stephen Barrett, M.D. of Quackwatch, even though he has not had hands-on experience using supplements with patients and does not have a degree in nutrition science?
    On a positive note, he often does a good job when it comes to researching credentials of individuals in the nutritional industry, or researching the legitimacy or marketing practices of certain supplement companies. He has uncovered or brought to light several cases of companies that have shady or fraudulent practices. I suggest he stay on this course (which is his forte) rather than giving his uneducated opinion on nutritional medicine or supplement research. I also hope he becomes more balanced in his reviews and makes the effort to also mention positive outcomes regarding supplement research, and not just negative outcomes.

Stephen Barrett, M.D. and Quackwatch lose legal battle and ordered to pay defendant's attorneys' fees
    December 2007 - After a 6-year legal battle, a California judge ordered Stephen Barrett, M.D. to pay the legal fees of a defendant who, although she has posted negative statements about him, was not held accountable due to a technicality. In an effort to protect Web hosting companies from what is posted on their clients' Web sites, the US Congress put into legislation language that the courts have interpreted as protecting individuals from suits if they don't originate the alleged libels.