Bio-Energetic Testing

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Nov 6, 2009.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

Has anyone had this or familiar with Computerized Health Screening? Known as Bio-Energetic Testing..

I was given a Pamplet by a friend who had the screening and was amazed what they found out about her condition then the help she received by her medical doctor .

So, today I called and talked to the lady that does the Screening, before the conversation was over she was describing me to a tee.

The problem is she is 7 hours away and I am not sure I can make the trip but if it would help I sure would give it a try. I feel my doctor would work with her and she said if not she would find me one.

I would like any input or info from anyone that is familiar or even heard of this, the good and the bad.

The visit would take 2 to 3 hours and the cost is $200.00 not much more than a 15 minute doctors visit.

I am feeling excited about this but yet very unsure.

Thanks and God Bless,
    [This Message was Edited on 11/06/2009]
    [This Message was Edited on 11/06/2009]
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I don't know if I've had bio-energetic testing - but I have had several different similar types of testing done.

One of the most effective, and affordable, that I've had done is muscle testing. I think it operates on similar principles having to do wtih the flow of energy. It has helped me many many times when the regular doctors were clueless. It's helped me with my thryoid, my liver, my gallblader, my ileocecal valve, my adrenals, my thymus gland. It hasn't been able to cure mY CFS and extreme exercise intolerance, but it has made my life a lot better than it would have been otherwise. (all done using nutritional supplements, no drugs except Armour thyroid)

You'll probably get bombarded with people telling you this is quackery, but I say, what the hey. You've given the regular docs more than ample time and opportunities and money to help you. From what I gather, they haven't been able to do much, but no one calls them quacks.

So, if you can make the trip (7 hours is very long), then give it a try. Or perhaps do a little investigation - maybe there is someone closer to where you live who does the same or similar thing.

I think you're very lucky if your doctor will work with her - that is truly amazing.

Good luck and let us know what you decide and how it goes -

3. CFS1992

CFS1992 New Member

I'm not sure if this computerized testing is the same as some chiropractors were doing back in the early to mid 90's or not. I never felt that test could be accurate enough to help me, though I had blood testing for food allergies, have bought huge amounts of different supplements, etc. My only success with the CFS is by taking life very easy, and taking care of me. I think I would see if there is someone who does this that is closer to you than a 7 hour trip. Surely if it is a test that is helpful, it must be offered elsewhere. Good luck.
  4. greatgran

greatgran Member

I would love to have the testing done but the 7 hr trip not sure of. I have been on the net
    searching for one closer but guess I am not wording it right as I can't find out much about the testing or locations.

I live in Southwest VA only a couple hrs away from Wake Forest Baptist Hospital , Not that far from Duke hoping I could find something but no luck.

Any help with a closer location please let me know.

Thanks for your replies. I feel I have nothing to lose would love to give this a try.

5. fifthofanickel

fifthofanickel New Member

might be what you are looking for. There might be a Chiropractor in your area that practices it. My dd swears by it. They use electrical stimulation to the muscles to help the problem that particular person is having. She uses it to help all kinds of things; colds, flu, thyroid, gads just about anything.

She also muscle tests herself for food/supplements/body products, etc. She has taught me how to muscle test on myself as far as meds/supplements go..As to whether they are toxic for me or not. I poo-pooed this method when she started getting into learning it, but since changed my mind. This method has proved to be true when testing supplements at the store. Some supps are toxic when packaged, & try the bottle behind it, & it's ok..Go figure....

One of her friends horses had the West Nile Virus a few yrs ago. She & her friend did the muscle testing, elec. stim. & the horse got better..Massaging the liver spots, & certain muscles are all a part of this.

Google it & you will find out all the particulars. You should be able to find a chiro near you that practices this method...

As long as the method you are trying isn't harmful to a person, it's worth a try..I know many people think we are strange in trying different things, but they aren't suffering as we are. Best of luck in finding someone that will help. And that is closer in distance to you...

6. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I have had similar tests done by a chiropractor so I think your best bet would be to check with chiropractors in your area, and as I and someone else suggested, you really might look into kinesiology (muscle testing). Jam on this board swears by it. I do too. It's most often done by chiropractors. And there are very good ones and some not so proficient, but in general it's very affordable so you're not out a lot of money if it doesn't work.

Often chiros who do muscle testing also do other kinds of energy testing as well.

One way to find one is to call Standard Process - they make very good nutritional supplements used by many chiros who do this work. They can give you the names of practitioners in your area who buy their supplements. Their customer service number is (800) 558-8740.

Also, oftentimes local health food stores will have information on people who do this type of work, so I would check there too.

Best wishes,

7. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Good medical practice relies on actually seeing the person. Things like looking at the skin, eyes, and observations of the person are very important when making a differential diagnosis. I would be wary of filling out a questionnaire unless it is something your doctor would see, such as a health history.

Clinical Findings

Although the claims of applied kinesiology are so far removed from scientific reality that testing them might seem a waste of time, competent researchers have subjected the muscle-testing procedures to several well-designed controlled tests and demonstrated what should be obvious to rational persons. Some have found no difference in muscle response from one substance to another, while others have found no difference between the results with test substances and with placebos.

Three practitioners testing eleven subjects made significantly different assessments; their diagnoses of nutritional deficiencies did not correspond to the nutrient levels obtain by blood serum analysis; and that the responses to nutrient substances did not significantly differ from responses to placebos [10].

Another study found no effect from administering the nutrients "expected" to strengthen a muscle diagnosed as "weak" by AK practitioners." [11]
    Researchers who conducted an elaborate double-blind trial concluded that "muscle response appeared to be a random phenomenon." [12]

Another study showed that suggestion can influence the outcome of muscle-testing. During part of this experiment, college students were told that chewing M&M candies would give them instant energy that would probably make them test stronger. Five out of nine did so [13].

Four AK practitioners tested seven patients who were extremely sensitive to wasp venom. Altogether, 140 muscle tests were done to see how the patients responded to preparations of venom or salt water in a bottle. If the test were valid, the venom bottles should result in "strong" reactions and the salt-water bottles should produce "weak" test reactions. However, the practitioners were unable to identify which bottles contained which [14].

Several chiropractors were tested at a medical office while under unblinded and blinded conditions. During the volunteers lcould resist downward pressure when a drop of glucose was placed on their tongue but could resist when fructorse was administered. The the arm tests were repeated using substances in coded test tubes so that the volunteer, the chiropractors, abd the onlookers could not tell which solution being applied to the volunteer's tongue. When the code was revealed, There was no connection between ability to resist and whether the volunteer was given the "good" or the "bad" sugar [15].

10.Kenny JJ, Clemens R, Forsythe KD. Applied kinesiology unreliable for assessing nutrient status. Journal of the American Dietetic Association 88:698-704, 1988.

11.Triano JJ. Muscle strength testing as a diagnostic screen for supplemental nutrition therapy: a blind study. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics 5:179-182, 1982

12.Haas M and others. Muscle testing response to provocative vertebral challenge and spinal manipulation: a randomized controlled trial of construct validity. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics 17:141-148, 1994.

13.Applied kinesiology - Double-blind pilot study. Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry 45:321-323, 1981.

14.Ludtke R and others. Test-retest-reliability and validity of the kinesiology muscle test. Complementary Therapy in Medicine 9:141-145, 2001.

15.Hyman R. The mischief-making of ideomotor action. by ideomotor action. The Scientific Review of Alternative Medicine, Fall-Winter issue, 1999. Republished on Quackwatch, Aug 26, 2009.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if this worked? Unfortunately it is called "woo", it just does not work nor have any physiological reasons for working. A Ouija board would give you about the same results as muscle testing.

I think your gut reaction of being unsure is accurate.

Good luck in your choice.

ETA The research above is very easy to find.
    This post might be more appropriate on the alternative board.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/07/2009]
  8. greatgran

greatgran Member

To each of you for your input. I have emailed a few places hoping to get a responce and they do the testing and not that far away. Here where I live we haven't any good docs and not sure if the chirop. is up on this.

After speaking with the lady she feels I have a bacterial infection but of course can't be sure till futher testing is done. She seemed upset that my doctor hadn't ordered futher testing. She did mention lyme.

If I can find one closer I may give it a try if not don't think I will go for the 7 hr trip .

Since I have no muscle pain or not much pain at all , would the muscle testing be of benefit?

I feel tired, weird head feelings, achy, like I have the flu without the cold symptoms. Of course the anxiety /depression. Oh a lot of other symptoms that come and go .

I do so appreciate all your input and advice.

Thanks and God Bless,

9. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I have to disagree with you. This is definitely an alternative treatment. How would you feel if I put my post on the alternative board?

However, I believe it is up to the moderators to decide.

There has been enough woo on this board lately to last a lifetime and many of us are respecting the alternative board and not posting there. I think people really need to think of this.

gg, I understand how your post was appropriate for this board but the direction it took is not. So in that sense I can see why it is here since muscle testing was not the subject of your post.

ETA I am not going to argue this point but just showing another view on this subject. Just FYI[This Message was Edited on 11/07/2009]
  10. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Great gran - I don't have muscle pain either. The muscle testing isn't for muscle pain per se. It can identify areas of weakness in your body and help you discover what is going on.

As I said, it helped me with several digestive issues, with weak adrenal glands, and other stuff.

11. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Here is part of the Code of Conduct (under Message Board Rules) for this board:
    Discussions of controversial methods of treatment of your disease or symptoms may be discussed provided it is related to health. (i.e. Medicinal Marijuana use, experimental drugs from other countries). However, impaired members will be asked to leave.

We're not impaired, at least no more so than anyone else here. Please stop suggesting that certain posts belong on the alternative board. If someone wants to post on the alternative board, fine. If they want to post here, they have just as much right to post here as you do. For many of us, this is the best place to post.

12. greatgran

greatgran Member

Sorry, if I put my post in the wrong place. Will more careful how and where I post next time.
    I in no way meant any harm or disrespect.

Thanks for everyone's input.

13. gapsych

gapsych New Member

GG I may not have made it clear but I think it was fine to put your post here.

However it turned into a lot of alternative suggestions. Nothing you can do about that.

However, if some of the other posts had been the subject, then they would have belonged on the other board.

Mary, There was a reason the alternative board was started. If someone is talking about muscle testing as the subject of a blog, it definitely belongs on the alternative board as it is considered non scientific and therefore alternative.

My two cents worth.

14. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I'm like Rainbow - all my "alternative" efforts have arisen out of my struggles with CFS, and the complete lack of any help at all from mainstream medicine. Have you read Osler's Web? Have you read how the biggest guns in medicine - the CDC and NIH - completely ignored, denied and minized objective laboratory and MRI evidence of abnormalities in people with CFS, and have done so for 25 years? It might open your eyes to the so-called objectivity of SBM. It's not objective at all, and is driven by egos and politics. It may have led to the contamination of our blood supply by their ignoring the evidence of a retrovirus since 1991. Their behavior is criminal, and yet when people challenge them they're told, well, the CDC and NIH know what they're doing -

gg is struggling with similar issues so I and others post what has helped us. You don't need to police our posts or tell us where to put them. As you can see, you are causing confusion such that gg felt she had to apologize for her post - this is really wrong.

And as Rainbow pointed out as is so clearly stated by the moderators, this board is open to alternative posts.

15. fifthofanickel

fifthofanickel New Member

We are all here to help one another..Who cares where this is posted???? To get confrontational about the whole thing is wearing on everyone..Who needs it??? We are just making suggestions to gg. If she chooses to follow one of them fine, if not, that's her choice. We all just wish her well on her journey in finding something that will help...

We are all sick w/this dd, & are looking for help..We know there isn't a cure, but maybe some kind of control...We all need calm in our lives, not piddly things that don't mean anything & are upsetting to us...

Take this as you will;
  16. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Geese, 5th, I already told gg that I thought her post was appropriate here. I was also making suggestions.

My version of helping people includes exposing the woo. I have personal reasons and this is an important subject to me. Even if I didn't, I think my information is important.

I find alternative/anti science theories frustrating. So one person's calm is another person's stress.

I don't feel what I posted is piddly at all, people get hurt or delay treatment by taking alternatives. They want easy answers, I do too, but the world just does not work that way. But this subject is for another thread.

Let's get back to gg's question and not hog this thread because of different beliefs.

Remember, there is always the ignore button.

17. bakeman

bakeman New Member

I would steer clear of this sort of thing unless you really believe in it with your heart. You may be able to get some type of placebo effect. Otherwise its a no-go.