BIO IDENTICAL HORMONES

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PVLady, Oct 10, 2006.

1. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I wanted to share my experience with bio identical hormones. I am using creams of progesterone and estrogen.

I honestly feel they helped me mentally. My thinking is much better, and mental outlook. I realize there are potential side effects but my doctor said sometimes you need to weigh the advantages.

I am 55 now and notice a big difference. My anxiety is also much less.
  2. swiss

swiss New Member

I am happy to hear about your success- enjoy. I use progesterone cream for PMS and it really helps too. What are the bioidentical hormones for?

Thanks,
    Michele
  3. Suzanne Sommers has written yet another book about Bio Identical hormone replacement. I am going to ask my gyn again about them and my family dr. next time I go.
  4. wld285

wld285 New Member

I am 56, and have been using bio-identical hormones for about 2 yrs. Mine you let melt in your cheek. It still wasn't the answer to my prayers, but I am sure if I weren't using them I would be alot worse.

Thanks for sharing.
    Linda
  5. lcb212

lcb212 New Member

6. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I asked my gyno doctor about the bio identical and he was not too interested. He felt they did not control the strength of the product.

I got mine from the FFC in Torrance, Dr. Holtorf's office. You have to get it from a compounding pharmacy.

I was not tested before starting them - I guess it is trial and error to see if they help you.

I notice the biggest help if anxiety - that is practically gone.
  7. psychomama

psychomama New Member

Bioidentical are compounded estrogen & usually progesterone combined. They are supposedly identical to what your body used to make before menopause. The trick is getting them adjusted to suit your body. I found that using them & also Wellbutrin greatly helped me feel better. If you don't have any libido anymore, they also make testosterone. I get mine from College Pharmacy in Colorado. They do a consult over the phone & mail you the prescription. It's kind of expensive & you have to get the right combination or you will spot or still have hot flashes. It's worth it, I think. Now I'm going to a hormone clinic here in Ft. Worth, TX and she has tested all my hormones. I have too much estrogen now, so she has put me on progesterone & testosterone only. I also had high cortisol, low vitamin D, low zinc, high triglycerides (but good cholesterol)and low/normal thyroid. She is treating all this & hopefully it will help.