Biofeedback ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by krayon, Apr 6, 2006.

1. krayon

krayon New Member

Hi everyone!

This is my offical first topic post. I was told today

that I would be doing biofeedback next week and was just

wondering if anyone had any input on this. I have looked

it up and still trying to figure out what exactly it is.

And if it works ?

This is to treat depression and anxiety. I have FM.

So if anyone can help explain this I would appreciate it

greatly.

Thanks all, love u dearly

~ *Karen* `
  2. HagerTX

HagerTX New Member

Back in 2001, my first psychiatrist wanted me to get it but I never followed up on it or found out what it was.
  3. krayon

krayon New Member

bumping for me
  4. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Biofeedback is the older version of the above, so can't explain it, but if you google neurofeedback, it will give you great information on how it works.

Very few traditional hospitals/Dr.'s do what I'm doing, as it's fairly new. I've posted about a week ago the results I'm having, and how important it is to have a good provider.

I'll just say changing the brain waves/chemistry changes our physical symptoms......e.g. energy, mood, anxiety, etc. My provider did her PHd on neuro & FM.

Cutting edge stuff!!

LIGHT**********carole
  5. mlrarr

mlrarr New Member

daughter had it done for anxiety. I thought it was a waste of time and money. At 15 a pop and you need a crap load it was to much for me. They places her in a chair and put electrodes all over her to measure her heartbeat and nerviousness. Then they had her make a fist and watch the graft go up on a computer. They then told her to make it go down- she opened her hand back up!! She smiled and said when you have a panic attack you cant just open your hand and make it go away!!
    Then he would try to induce a panic attack to help her to learn to "control it". She once again smiled and told him "I dont want to have one let alone control one" "you are telling me you cant help stop them just control them?" After about three sessions we did not go back. Like she said the meds control them and the insurance covers it. The guy said it wasnt a cure just something to help her cope.
    Im sorry if this is negitive but I have did alot of looking into this and have talked to alot of people who have tried it and out of ten only 2 felt it helped but they still had panic attacks. For the money you would think you would see better results....

Well take care and hope this helps
    Melinda
  6. G.I.Jane

G.I.Jane New Member

Hi! Biofeedback training teaches you how to control your body's response to stress - stress from whatever, although definitely in your case from your FMS symptoms. You'll be hooked up to sensors and taught how to relax your body in different ways. I've been really interested in biofeedback to see if it would lessen my muscle tension - haven't been able to try it out yet. You can probably read more about what you'll be doing with your doctor at a The Wild Divine Project - just google it. Another great stress reliever is mindfulness - there are lists of dr's offering courses at www.umassmed.edu/cfm - just find the link at the bottom left that says 'Other MBSR Programs' and you can see what's in your state. Usually medical insurance covers the course with a copay that's leftover. If there's nothing in your area you can still learn mindfulness from tapes and books - it's really helped with my stress/anxiety & pain - it's *amazing*. Check out Jon Kabat-Zinn, he knows his stuff. Good luck with your biofeedback practices - I'm so envious!! Take care - Jane :)