Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by georgiee0826, Jan 16, 2010.

1. georgiee0826

georgiee0826 New Member

Has any one tried biofeedback? Did it help any? My phycholist [sp] is sugesting it.
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

What type of biofeedback?

My DH was a clinical psychologist who worked with many worker's comp etc pts who were in deep pain, and used hypnosis in combination with thermal biofeedback (measuring temperatures in the fingers, higher temps reflect relaxation) for pain. I also used to be a hypnotherapist and worked with some of them...

the combination is really great even if using GSR type... we used to make personal tapes of the hypnosis sessions that people could listen to at home over and over - 'practice makes perfect' plus using the altered sense of mind makes it happen faster.

But it can work of course without hypnosis.

That said, everyone finds different levels of relief.

Acupuncture can also be helpful for pain relief...

all the best,

3. acer2000

acer2000 New Member

I tried neurofeedback (although somewhat by accident - long story) - it actually made me worse. I'd be weary of trying it if you have a serious medical issue of unknown etiology (like CFS/FMS/etc...). In addition to there being not a lot of research on Neurofeedback, and even less for its use in CFS/FMS, the whole field is very unregulated and the skill of the practitioners vary widely. There appears to be no standard of care - even with its use among disorders where it seems to be effective (ADD/etc...).
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

Good point... what KIND of biofeedback training is your psychologist talking about?

Neurofeedback is a part of "biofeedback" but is not the only kind
    (Neurofeedback (NFB), also called neurotherapy, neurobiofeedback or EEG biofeedback (EEGBF)

Wikipedia's definition is pretty good for a start:

"Biofeedback is a non-medical process that involves measuring a subject's specific and quantifiable bodily functions SUCH AS
    the activity of brain waves,
    blood pressure,
    heart rate,
    skin temperature,
    sweat gland activity, and
    muscle tension,
    conveying the information to the patient in real-time. This raises the patient's awareness and therefore the possibility of conscious control of those functions."

So, as an example, in temperature/thermal training, a small "thermistor" is attached to your finger, which gives your finger's temperature. As you relax and visualize, say, laying in the sun, your hands' temperatures will go up which indicates overall you are relaxing. You can learn to do this while totally conscious or with the help of hypnosis. This works well for other things as Reynaud's Disease, btw.

I've never seen or heard of this hurting anyone and is totally different than the brain wave feedback that arosenb10 is talking about.

Wikipedia has a good overall view of the different modalities of biofeedback:

So arosenbl0 brought up a good point - what kind of biofeedback is your psychologist suggesting??