Biofreeze ???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by getfitat40, Sep 15, 2005.

1. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

I bought some of the roll on Biofreeze and used it for the fist time this morning. My elbow has been acting up so I thought I would try it since so many here really like it.

Well - within 2-3 minutes I started to experience some numbness which is what I expected, but all of sudden the skin that was exposed to the Biofreeze started burning so bad, I had tears in my eyes. I went over to our nurse's station and they told me it was the menthol but it was so bad, I washed it off. Now at 7:30 - about 10 hours later - my skin is stil red and hurts to touch.

Has anyone experienced this? Is it normal and you get used to it or did I have a slight allergic reaction to it? Any help is appreciated. Nancy
  2. patientnurse

patientnurse New Member

Two years ago, when I lived in another city, my massage therapist used biofreeze on me all the time (my back). I liked it. She had given me several sample packets and I decided to use one a few days ago on my shoulders and as far down my back as I could reach. I had the same reaction and hopped in the shower to get it off. It took hours to calm down. I thought the sample was old - it had no expiration date. I will never touch the stuff again, just in case. My massage therapist here has never offered it to me, although I see it on her shelf.
  3. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

Kat-e - Very interesting regarding nerve vs. muscle pain. I had not thought about what the cause of my pain was. The last time I saw my Orthopedic Surgeon for my Carpal Tunnel he diagnosed both arthritis and ulnar tunnel syndrome too. I guess I should make it an appointment with him.

Patientnurse - It is very nice to know I am not alone, but sorry you experienced it too. One of the nurses at works thinks I am nuts because I wasn't sure if I should wash it off or not - I just recalled reading something about washing some topical stuff off and that it could cause more problems. Maybe I am nuts - when I read the really fine print it said to contact your doctor prior to using product if you have sensitive skin. Duh on my part there...