Biopsies are in

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by joyfully, Jun 11, 2007.

1. joyfully

joyfully New Member

It turns out there were 4 separate areas of cancer in the remaining L. thyroid. NO CANCER was found in any of the surrounding lymph nodes. I'm scheduled to see the endocrinologist on Thursday. I will be following up my surgery with radioactive iodine. That is supposed to kill any remaining thyroid cells located anywhere in my body.

The growth on the forearm that had suddenly turned black and started growing wasn't melanoma. Anyway, the preliminary biopsy results are benign. The doctor's office still hasn't gotten the full biopsy results for the deeper tissue that was excised. He says that melanoma would have shown up in the preliminary biopsy if there were cancer there.

I want to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers. It has been one scary and wild month since the cancer diagnosis. I'm still kinda' numb over the entire saga.

2. budmickl

budmickl New Member

That is some of the best news you can get!

Prayers are still with you through the treatment too!

3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Good luck w/ your therapy.

Half a century ago, when I was in high school, our English teacher was drinking what she called "radioactive cocktails" to treat her cancer.

At our 35th class reunion, she was still up and around. (She was at least 75.)

4. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

5. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I pray that your surgery goes as well as mine did. I pray that no lymph nodes are involved in your case.

Numb. Yes, it is as if you can't get your mind to understand. I think your mind starts closing doors so you can just cope. It is hard to explain.

It sounds as if your diagnosis was very recent too. I'm thankful that I only had to wait two weeks from the initial diagnosis before having the surgery. You just want it out immediately.

If you find yourself getting overwhelmed, try just to concentrate what you need to get done in the next 5 minutes. Baby steps. I had to do that sometimes when "what-ifs" came flooding into my thoughts.

If there is one thing that is bugging you about your house right now, I'd concentrate on that. My hubby had inadvertently knocked over a bottle of dormant oil for trees. It evidently leaked, he stepped in it, and deposited about a dozen or so foot prints on the carpet throughout my home. THAT was driving me bonkers. I managed to get a very nice man to come and clean my carpets prior to the surgery. He rearranged his entire schedule to get my carpets cleaned prior to the surgery.

It probably sounds a little whacky, but I know that really reduced my stress level.

Have someone with you at all times in the hospital. With insurance companies dictating what can and cannot be done---things fall through the cracks. You need a lucid person there with you to ensure you are given the correct medications, etc.

Have your surgeon write on your orders that you are to get an antinausea shot in the recovery room before you ever wake up. This is important. You don't want to be wretching with dry heaves after just having abdominal surgery. Tell your doctor and the anesthesiologist( sp??). Double check by asking them again.

Once they begin to give you oral pain meds, DRINK LOTS OF WATER. Pain meds tend to make one constipated. Also, take along glycerine suppositories in case you need them. Again, this is for the pain med/constipation thing.

I had to have a complete hysterectomy almost 3 decades ago. Mine was for endometriosis.

We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Soft hugs. Joyfully

6. Marta608

Marta608 Member

If only we could manage to remember times that turn out well when we first hear the news.

7. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Please take someone to the hospital with you. Even if you don't want them sitting out in the waiting room, you need someone with you in your hospital room. Surgical post of staff seem to be short-handed. It will mean so much if someone just wets a washcloth for you to wipe your face.

Or gets you some more ice water
    Or helps you to the bathroom
    Or steadies you as you take your first steps down the hospital hallway.
    Or gets you a container of icecream from the hospital cafeteria because the tray of food they gave you tastes terrible.

Or helps you swing your legs over the side of the bed and gets your bedroom slippers.

If your hospital offers those devices that wrap around each calf and intermittenly squeeze each calf muscle----by all means use them. This helps your body circulate the blood in your legs and decreases the chances of getting blood clots in your legs.

I got to use them again with my thyroid surgery. I really like those leg wraps. I jokingly asked the nurses if I could take the machine home with me. They laughed and told me I would probably get billed an additional $10,000 on my account due if I took the machine.

8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm so happy for you.

Love, Mikie
  9. victoria

victoria New Member

That is good news all in all! Hope you don't get much if any side effects from it. But I am happy to hear it hasn't spread!

Wishing you all the best!