Biopsy NIGHTMARE

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Carolonly, Oct 26, 2002.

1. Carolonly

Carolonly New Member

I went into the hospital Friday morning and talked to a nurse, she said that I wouldn't feel a thing and that it would be over quick......that is NOT what happened. They took me into the ultra sound room gave me some medicine numbed my area twice and I felt every thing he did too me including cutting the liver for the biopsy...I cried through the whole thing it hurt so bad, then even when they took me to my room I was still crying one hour afterwards, I didn't quit hurting until today. Right after we left the hospital we got hit in the rear by two other cars. Anyway this is what happened to me and it has ruined my life my liver hurts so bad the nurse said there must be something really wrong with my liver any comments are welcomed. Thanks for listening.Has this happened to anyone else????
    [This Message was Edited on 10/26/2002]
  2. Carolonly

Carolonly New Member

I went into the hospital Friday morning and talked to a nurse, she said that I wouldn't feel a thing and that it would be over quick......that is NOT what happened. They took me into the ultra sound room gave me some medicine numbed my area twice and I felt every thing he did too me including cutting the liver for the biopsy...I cried through the whole thing it hurt so bad, then even when they took me to my room I was still crying one hour afterwards, I didn't quit hurting until today. Right after we left the hospital we got hit in the rear by two other cars. Anyway this is what happened to me and it has ruined my life my liver hurts so bad the nurse said there must be something really wrong with my liver any comments are welcomed. Thanks for listening.Has this happened to anyone else????
  3. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I am so sorry your liver biopsy was so bad~~I had one recently and had a much better experience. They gave me Ativan sublingually and an injection of Demerol and Phenergan about 10 minutes prior to the procedure and I was loopy. The topical anesthetic made the area numb and what I felt when the biopsy was taken was a fast, hard, grabbing sensation inside my back on both sides. It was, by no means, something I couldn't handle and the sensation was momentary. I had dreaded it so much and it was nothing like I thought it would be. The painful part came later in the form of neck and shoulder pain on the right side. I took Vicodin for that and did just fine. I bled, so I had to stay in the hospital, but I felt okay. I stayed out of work for two days since my job is a physical one. I just took it easy to prevent further bleeding and had no discomfort after the day of surgery.
    Did they give you anything prior other than the topical numbing? They should've. I wouldn't have let them do the biopsy without it, but they said they gave the same meds to everybody at that hospital who had a liver biopsy.
    Your experience was bad enough without the car accident; I am so sorry.
    I found out my biopsy results, but the biopsy had to be sent to U.N.C. for further review. I have a lot of scarring and scar tissue and I'm not sure why yet. The hepatologist has a med in mind for reducing the inflammation, but he's going to wait until the review is done to decide whether to prescribe it for me. I go back to see him on the 12th of November.
    Please keep in touch with me about this. When do you expect to hear about your results?
    Love and empathy,
    Kady
  4. JCharity

JCharity New Member

Carolonly........

So sorry you had such a bad experience. My hubby had to have a biopsy on his thyroid gland a few years back. It was terrible and he bled so hard. My goodness......then to get rear ended on top of it. Just so you know, I will be praying for you. You take care of you ok? Hugz and blessings, Jenn
  5. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

I can't even come close to imagining what you must be going through. I hope you will get over the experience in short order, but I have learned that we seem to heal slowly. You will be in my prayers.
    Kathryn
  6. nancyneptune

nancyneptune New Member

Carolonly, A couple of years ago either the US congress or the state, passed a LAW that stated all hospitals are to give patients enough pain medication to alleviate their pain in order to rest comfortably, or in your case to be comfortable during a procedure. This is a sue-able offense on their part. What the devil were they doing while you were crying? Ignoring you? I'd be in the administrations office screaming bloody murder. You need to file a complaint.It isn't right, nor humane. I'm sorry they did this to you, Hugs, N
  7. Duffsangel

Duffsangel New Member

Carolonly,'
    That is the worst patient care I have heard of. I am so sorry for you. I hope you will better soon and the results of the biopsy will turn out good. Why are they doing this anyway?? Send me a private message.
    Hugs to sustain you
    Duff
  8. sapphire

sapphire New Member

I'm so sorry you had to go though this. It is the worst thing I have ever been through. It sounds exactly as you described. Mine was 12 years ago. I thought surely they weren't still doing them this way. I was crying also and they just ignored me. The Dr. doing the liver biopsy was still in the room and another Dr. came in to do a bone marrow. They did these back to back which was almost more than I could bear. I have a high pain tolerance, too.
    I said then I'd die before I would have another one. Low and behold this summer I needed another. I was put to sleep and it was done with a laproscope. It takes alot longer to recover but it was worth it to me. That was the only way they were going to do it.
    I'm so sorry for you and all you have been through. I hope your results come out ok. I still don't really know what's going on with me. My biopsy showed something autoimmune. They did all kinds of tests and nothing showed up. I'm going to see a Neuro next month. My PCP thinks I could have MS. The waiting for the results is awful. Try not to worry too much. Easier said than done , huh?
    Keep us posted.

Sapphire
  9. granmama

granmama New Member

My heart goes out to you. Liver biopsies are scary enough just knowing you have to have one. But to endure the pain you had is unacceptable. I am so sorry for your experience.

For what reason was the biospy performed?

I had one in 99 to confirm Hemochromatosis and damage to my liver. Thankfully, I had no damage, but did get the dx of HH. My doctor (gastro) was very gentle until the actual going in to get the piece and I felt pressure and a bump on my left side. I hurt plenty when I got home and the tape they used with the bandage, I am allergic to, so my skin came off with the tape.

Let us know your results and how you are doing.

take care and a gentle hug to you,
    granmama