biopsy on thyroid need prayers and thoughts

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by biddys2007, Nov 8, 2007.

1. biddys2007

biddys2007 New Member

Hi everyone. Went to the dr's today and was told that I need to have a biopsy done on the nodule on the right side of my thyroid and it will be done next Thursday morning. Then I go back to the dr. on the 29th and he will let me know if it is cancerous or not but either way they will take the right side out. Guess I figured that was what would happen just when you hear it for real sounds different than just thinking it. My hubby should be home tomorrow so guess we will have some decisions to make since he drives truck and how to get him home for both times. Family lives in Pa except for our daughter and she has to testify in court that day. Sorry to burden everyone guess I'am just feeling sorry for me tonight. Thx for listening and everyone have a good night and stay warm. Biddy
  2. Khalyal

Khalyal New Member

I know how anxious you must be. My prayers are with you, sweetie.

By the way, my sister's mother in law just went through this a few months ago. She is now feeling better than she ever did (and losing weight to boot, much to her delight). I pray you see the same results!

[This Message was Edited on 11/08/2007]
  3. ckball

ckball New Member

I had 3/4 of my thyriod removed at age 15 because of a large goiter. At age 25 what was left of my thryroid developed Graves diesease andd it had it zapped with a radio active iodine treatment-totally painless.

Now I take synthriod daily and am 52 years old. I am not sure if you meant they were going to remove the nodule then do a biopsy or if they were going to do a needle biopsy then remove the nodule.

Which ever way try not think negatively about this, I know how hard that is but it is important to remain positive. Tell yourself over and over, it is a NOT cancer.

I survived rectal cancer in 1995 and never gave up, I am still cancer free 12 years later. So IF it is cancer, it sounds like it is early dectection so don't spend your time "what ifing"

You will get threw this, we are always here for support and never apologize for asking for help. We have all done it and that is what this board is all about.

My prayers are with you- Carla
  4. sisland

sisland New Member

I'll be Praying for you Dear! Hope all goes well!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Hugs!,,,,Sis
  5. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

I'll say a prayer for you. God bless, Anne Theresa
  6. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I had the rt. side of my thyroid removed about 4 years ago. It was benign. The goiter was about the size of a tennis ball and had shifted my esophagus. I had no complications and went home around 10AM the following day.

I had the left side of my thyroid removed May of this year. They had done ultrasound and then a needle biopsy.
    It was cancerous and the entire remaining thyroid was removed. I didn't consider this as major surgery. They don't have to cut through major muscle groups to get to the tumor. THAT is where you get the pain after surgery (my opinion).

I went home the following day after lunch. I didn't even fill the prescription for pain meds.

I pray you don't have cancer. If it is, know that thyroid cancer grows very slowly and there are specific treatments that are designed solely for thyroid cancer abatement. It isn't chemotherapy and you don't get sick from the treatment. I am presently on synthroid. I am still in the process of getting the synthroid level adjusted.

You don't need someone with you to get the needle biopsy unless you just want him there for emotional support. I went by myself and drove home afterwards. You definitely want someone with you for the surgery. If you get surgery, be sure to ask your doctor to order antinausea medication ON YOUR CHART to be given to you in the post op BEFORE YOU WAKE UP. Otherwise, you may be vomiting once you awaken. It is such a simple thing and it makes such a difference!

A few of us have been sending emails to ProHealth asking them to please consider starting a thyroid board. One member called up and talked to them about starting an additional thyroid message board on this site. There are so many of us who have thyroid issues on this site. I think they are going to do it. (I'm really hoping they are going to do it!)