Bipolar and fibromyalgia?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hagardreams, May 14, 2008.

1. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

I have posted before about this, but its been awhile.

I was just wondering if anyone knows of any good info on the internet about the 2 illnesses together, and or the connection, or the differences.

My mom is bipolar. I have been 2 times to get diagnosed, and both times told that I did not have manic depression. The psychiatrist said that my mood swings were from the diabetes (blood sugars). Now since I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, I have heard that it can be the cause of my mood swings.

I just hope to find some good information on the difference, and or the connection.

Thanks in advance for any advise!
  2. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

If you are having joint pain and neurological symptoms, you need to suspect Lyme very heavily.

Bi-polar was one of my first 'symptoms', which of course went unchecked for 10 yrs while I was given the FMS/CFS wrong diagnosis.

Some articles:

You need to look further into what is making you so ill. Don't count on the Dr's to know or test correctly. If you are not proactive, you will continue to get more and more ill.

I'll look into my box of goodies for more info later. But don't easily dismiss this. I originally got a neg. Lyme test, but got 2 subsequent positives later on. Thanks God I listened to a friend that had been thru this, of I think I would probably be dead.

3. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

You can certainly have both as separate distinct disorders. You can also break your leg with this illness!

Little joke, but the Doc at Georgetown said that to me to make sure I realized that not every symptom has to be ME/FMS. We could have other things wrong with us too.

It may be connected to your mom's illness but maybe not. It may just be that you are low in seratonin (all the neurotransmitters go awry at some point).

Do you have any other issues? I would attempt 5HTP (the natural precursor to seratonin), eat foods rich in tryptophan, research GABA and other non-excitotoxins supplements). ANd change your diet to exclude excitotoxins, MSG, spices, natural flavors. They could be throwing your brain chemistry off.

All the best.
  4. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

Thanks to those who replied. I cant sit at the computer too long, but I have been trying so hard to find info on how to tell the difference with the 2 illnesses.

My Mother insists that I have what she does, but she accuses everyone of having bipolar. Her counsler told me that it is part of her illness. I doubt that she would listen to anything I had as far as good info on the difference, but I hope to find something. Most important of all is that I am sure that I dont have, even thought 2 psychaitrists have told me that I dont have it.

Thanks again, Julie
  5. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Connection: They can both be caused by a Manganese deficiency or Manganese imbalance.
  6. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

cqan be caused by depression, FM, menopause, imbalance of hormones and I guess many more ALTHOUGH last nov I had a neurological episode adn was very high so much I was hallucinating, no connection to FM though so they say

Go figure is all i can say

angel hugs

7. gapsych

gapsych New Member

What kind of doctor are you seeing? Havine diabetes can do tricky things to your moods as well as the fibromyalgia. How well is your diabetes under control?

Flutuations in blood sugar can indeed create mood swings.

Sometimes a stressor to our system can be linked to Fibromyalgia. Stressors can be mental such as a high level of stress or physical such as an accident or illness.

This can make it frustrating figuring out what is happening and can be tricky to say what stressors are involved in starting fibromyalgia and unfortunately it is not a cookie cutter disease where there is just one answer.

And as one poster said above it may not even be related to Fibromyalgia.

This disease is very individual and what helps for one person may not for another.

I would discuss this with your health care professional. If you are not satisfied, you might want to get a second opinion.

I know how frustrating it can be to try to figure this out.

There could be lots of things that are working together, but I would first see what your doctor says and maybe even hook up with a support group for either or both conditions.

I certainly hope that things work out for you. I know how frustrating this can be. This is not an easy condition nor are there any easy answers.

I wish you the best.

[This Message was Edited on 05/30/2008]