BIPOLAR ? AND MY SON

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LEFTYGG, Jan 6, 2006.

1. LEFTYGG

LEFTYGG Member

My son is 21. always been a hand ful but since 15 really had school problems and anger issues. took him to dr and psycologist when asked what i did to push his buttons he said walk in front of tv lol.

then he got schloarship for football to kent state was there 3wks wouldnt go to class. came home went to small college quit that. was arrested several times for alcohol and fighting.
    DR at small college said he was bipolar and put him on lexapr. his attitude is totaly diffrent whewn on lexapro but hes not motivated no school or work.

so what im asking should meds be changed does he should bipolar no one in family has this that i know of.

he does flip a switch when not on meds.he goes back and forth on what he wants.

we are so p#$@ed off at him its hard to be sympathetic.

weve spent thousands on laywers and things hes destoyed

any ideas would be appreciated ty
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

but you might want to get him tested for Lyme and other tick diseases...

see my post "Lyme and MENTAL DISORDERS"

My son has had some real problems with anxiety and depression, reacted badly on all meds, could've been headed for some real problems if we hadn't figured out the reason... Lyme. After several years of the anxiety/depression, is when he started to get all the weird vague symptoms of CFIDS/fibro etc...

All the best,
    Victoria
  3. jaltair

jaltair New Member

My son has bipolar disorder, and I’ve seen him go through so many medications over the years. What your son is on seems inadequate to me if he is bipolar. Lexapro is an SSRI and an antidepressant.

I am copying some information that I have saved from a website (I cannot put the URL down, I’m sorry).

-------------------------------------------

“Medications treatment usually involves three classes of drugs: antidepressants for depression and mood stabilizers and antipsychotics for mania. In addition, some patients may take a benzodiazepine to help calm them down.

An antidepressant without a concomitant antimania med is almost certain to switch a patient into mania. Some authorities contend that even with an antimania drug, the danger is there. Accordingly, the American Psychiatric Association in its bipolar disorder guidelines issued in 2002 does not recommend an antidepressant-antimania combination as a first option, and another guideline recommends tapering and discontinuing soon after remission is achieved.

Mood stabilizers mainly keep mania in check, though we are not sure precisely how they function in the brain. Lithium, which is a common salt, was discovered as a treatment for bipolar disorder by accident, is the only mood stabilizer that works well enough for mania and depression.

The other mood stabilizers - Depakote (valproic acid), Tegretol (carbamazepine), Trileptal (oxcarbazepine), Neurontin (gabapentin), Topamax (topiramate) and Lamictal (lamotrigine) - first came on the market as antiseizure medications. Depakote, Tegretol, and Trileptal are used to treat mania. Neurontin is useful for co-occurring anxiety, and Topamax is effective for weight loss. Lamictal is the flavor of the month for treating bipolar depression. Because we don't know exactly how they work and what we should be targeting, it comes as no surprise that their clinical benefit leaves much to be desired, with burdensome side effects ranging from dry mouth to weight gain to tremors to sedation to skin rash. A lot of these effects go away as the body adjusts to the medication. Because of the side effects, noncompliance is common. What one needs to keep in mind is as imperfect as these meds are, they offer one a fighting chance at recovery, as well as a welcome alternative to what would have been a lifetime of institutionalization a generation ago.

Lithium and Lamictal have antidepressant properties. Although Lamictal has flavor of the month status for treating bipolar depression, its FDA indication is for relapse prevention.

Tell me about antipsychotics.
    Antipsychotics are yet another medication that first came on the market to treat another illness, in this case schizophrenia. The drugs work by binding to dopamine receptors in the brain, preventing overstimulation from the neurotransmitter dopamine. The older antipsychotics bind tightly to these receptors, resulting in considerable side effects, including sexual dysfunction, increased lactation (which can result in loss of menses in women and lower testosterone in men), dulled cognition, sedation, and involuntary facial and muscular spasms. One of these, Haldol, is still in common use.

The newer "atypical" antipsychotics bind more loosely to the dopamine receptors, resulting in less risk of these side effects, though they still remain fairly common. Nevertheless, the APA and other guidelines recommend the atypicals as a first option for treating mania in the initial phase, often in combination with a mood stabilizer. The same guidelines and product labeling on these meds also recommend gradual tapering following remission, owing to the risk of tardive dyskinesia (involuntary spasms), unless needed. The atypicals include Clozaril (clozapine), Zyprexa (olanzapine), Risperdal (risperidone), Seroquel (quetiapine), Geodon (ziprasidone), and Abilify (aripiprazole). Abilify, the newest, is thought to have the best side effects profile.

Zyprexa and Seroquel also have significant antidepressant effects. Further studies are likely to find antidepressant effects in other atypicals. Combination Zyprexa-Prozac (Symbyax) is FDA-approved to treat bipolar depression.”

-----------------------------------------------------

I hope this helps. You may want to speak with your son about having him sign a release of information so that you may speak to the treating psychiatrist. This way, you will gain a better understanding of what’s going on with your son. I have one signed by my son and it's been really an important document to have on hand.

Warm Hugs,

Jeannette
  4. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I feel for you and your son.

If he hasn't been seen by a psychatrist, I would suggest he do so.

Bipolar people need to be on more than an anti-depressant. That alone can cause even more problems for someone with BP. There is a least a mood stablizer added to the anti-d. Many times any anti-anxiety too.

I was on just an AD for a long time,and my symptoms continued to be more manic than before.

Just my thoughts. I hope he is able to find help. It will make life much better for him, and you.

Kim
  5. LindaH

LindaH New Member

My son in law and two young(ages 6 and 10) granddaughters are bipolar. Mood stabilizers are absolutely needed.

Good luck and bless you,
    Linda
  6. libra55

libra55 New Member

with Abilify. My daughter has taken it for a number of years. She has Asperger's Syndrome which has many co-existing features of bi-polar disorder. I agree with others here, antidepressants are not enough. My daughter was on Prozac for years, then Zoloft, neither did anything for her.

I hear you loud and clear about the lack of motivation. Unfortunately, that trait seems to go with these conditions; sadly medications do not fix this problem. My daughter, although intelligent, has very little ethic to do any real work. She has to be nagged, rewarded and/or punished to get anything done. In doing so she creates constant drama around herself. These type of people are very selfish. Right now she is working on college applications and an art portfolio. I'm sure you can imagine the stress level.

Also last year she was thrown out of school and my husband and I had to do some real fancy manuevering to get her readmitted. So I can relate to your having to "fix" everything for your son.

God bless,
    Michelle
    [This Message was Edited on 01/07/2006]
  7. LEFTYGG

LEFTYGG Member

ALL OF YOU HAVE HELPED ME UNDERSTAND BIPOLAR A LITTLE BETTER IM SO IGNORANT ON MEDS. UNTIL MY FIBRO GOT SO BAD I NEVER TOOK ANYTHING.

HOW DO THE KNOW YOUR BIPOLAR? IM SO TIRED ITS HARD TO DO THE INVESTIGATING ID LIKE ON HIS PROBLEMS. I AM GOING TO GET A RELEASE SO I CAN TALK TO DR I NEVER EVEN THOUGHT OF THAT SINCE IVE ALWAYS BEEN MOM AND THOUGHT THEYD JUST TELL ME.

HES IN ALCOHOL CLASSES FOR CHARGES HE GOT AWHILE BACK.ITS
    NEVERENDING. THANK YOU ALL.

PS I REALLY WANT TO RUNAWAY BUT I CANT
  8. Sue50

Sue50 New Member

are Seroquel and cymbalta, after years of trying different combos of meds these are what worked best for me.
  9. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i thnk i know more about it than he does...i now of the ugly head that can come for lack of treatment first hand...

it has cost me marriage do to it..and he will not get the help.....i still love him dearly and i did not want a divorce i needed to file in hopes he would realize he needed the meds and help....

i go from loving this man and so much bitternes toward him...he had an affair and one he will not admit too...i am not dumb...drinking abuse and neglecting emotionally wife and son...

anyways, i feel your pain....and i have a now 16 year old and i would do anything to help him see the light if i could if he ever comes down with this himself.....i have taken him to child psychirtirst...already ....time will tell

so far a good student and promising football potential...so i read your heading and just so could relate to you...

i know in my area we have groups for family members of bi-polar loved ones maybe you could find one yourself....

i wish i cold turn the light on him and others that have this condition...the sad thing is out of all of the mental illiness this is the most easliy treatable one to have....

alanon maybe for our you and your hubby...

but you may need to play the tough love game on him...

i have had to g come to realize that i did almost everything i could for my ex-husband that i could do, except called the police when he said he needed help and he was balwing...but i was afraid for there were guns, he is a gun collector, knives swords etc...in the house...and i had our 8 year old son home at the time...and i now the deal if ou call the police and they come out and ask him if he was ok he would manipulate the whole situaiton...even though i knew the truth...

take care of yourselves first....

i know a lady who is a teacher at my son's school, she and i were talking one time and she had mentioned how she was bipolar and gained 60lbs from her meds, but she was happy to be fat than to have lived like she was....i asked her what was it that made you deciced you needed the help...she said her dad said she either get help or he was going to tae her girls away....

so what think is sometimes it may take such a long time to get the help they really need and it can be so very emotionaly draining on us...that sometimes we need to let them hit rock bottom so to speak...to save ourselves....

it is hard to deal with someone like that....i wished i had all of the right answers here and i know i would do the same as you have done....jsut keep urging him to stay on the meds....i don't know what is will take for him to realize he will needs these to have a gainfully full-filling life....and not w/o them he will screw up his life....

thoughts and prayers are with you

jodie
  10. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

In my home we have 3 bipolar females.My oldest daught,youngest and myself.All being treated.But oldest daughter just started taking meds. for her bipolar a month ago and up until that point it has been a very up and dpown emotional ride.Especially here recently.She is 20 and after all that has happened these last few months she finally agreed she needed to get this under control.SHe is more stable now an dhas apologized for all that she has put us throught these last few years.Admitting to starting fightd on purpose,for saying the meaniset things she could to spite us,making things out to be worse than they really are.When she had this talk with me I almost cried cause for so long we have been taking the brunt of this abuse and I am so tired I just don't knw if I can keep it up especially with myself having bipolar and my youngest having a disability and bipolar.I am looking for a good book to read for parents of bipolar teens and young adults.One thing I can't understand is why bipolars will not take there meds.I know for many the reason is they like the high of mania.Bipolars during mania are the life of the party,everyone wants to be like him,very creative and productive...something many people would love to have.But it can be so destructive.My daughter tried to take a moodstabizer before and would never stick to it.I think she liked the drama and the constant edginess of mania.her mania came out in anger and she has always been on the defensive side of everything and she has been in the mood to fight with everyone for a very long time.I amso glad she has decided to put down her weapons and relax.When you have a child that is an adult there is little you can do other than cutting him lose and let him suffer the conqsequnces of his actions.That is what we have done with our daughter with this relationship she is in.We have done all we can do to help her now she has to make the choice and if she fails it is on her terms not ours.But she is on meds. now and that is helping.I do know of some friends that there parents somehow got legal help to make thier adult child take meds.It was orderd down from the judge.this one girl I know of was so mad at her parents but I don't see where they had a choice.She was a danget to herself.SO the courts send someone out to check on her to make sure she is on her meds,they test her too.

Ty, being a person that suffers from bipolar and having children with the same disease I can honestly say that with good medication it can be better for you all.I am 39 and for the first time in my whole life I feel like who God intended for me to be.I pray that your son and my daughter will not wait til they are my age to take this disease seriouly and give themselves a chance to enjoy life without the constant pull of bipolar.

As far as meds. These are what we all take..I take prozac to help with the deep depressionside of bipolar.AD can also trigger mania so I take lamictal to stable my moods.I keep klonopin on hand for those very anxious moments.

My youngest takes zyprexa.I would not recommend.As soon as the dr.'s office opens tomorow I am requesting she take something else.It has helped her mood for sure but it causes tremdous weight gain and we have a family history of diabetes and strokes.She also take effexor for the depression and has zanax to help when she gets very aggitated.

My oldest is taking prozac also to stable her severe depression and also taking risperdal to stable her mood.SO far so good.

If ever you want to talk about this more i would be glad to talk.I know alot about this subject.I know that it takes time and patience to find the right meds. for a person with bipolar and if you aren't there with them to make sure they take it then he will never get better.Just within the last few weeks I know longer have to take my oldest daughters meds to her.She takes them now on her own.She knows she feels better and that is such a releif.

Well you let me know if you want to talk more.I am here most everyday unless I am curled up in my big comfy chair moaning and groaning.

You try to take care of you during all of this,stress is not a friend to FM.
    I am praying for you all,
    Sheila
  11. stranded

stranded New Member

i, too, am bipolar. i was diagnosed 5 years ago, and it's been a long road to stabilization. i use lamictal, geodon, and zoloft, and i'm feeling great for the past year for the first time in 8 years. it will probably take a lot of trial and error of meds for your son, as it does for most people. please just remember it's a chemical imbalance, and he's probably really struggling with it all as much or more than you are and really needs your support. i don't know what i would've done without the support of a few close friends and family. i will be praying for you and your family, as i know how hard it can be. i would highly recommend getting into a support group. DBSA or NAMI are two big names for bipolar support groups.
  12. LEFTYGG

LEFTYGG Member

SHEILA I REALLY FEEL FOR YOU I ONLY HAVE ONE TO DEAL WITH.

I DIDNT REALIZE SO MANY HAD IT BUT IT SCARES ME WHEN I HEAR ON THE NEWS THAT A MAN KILLED HIS SLEEPING DAUGHTER WITH A BAT CAUSE SHE WOULDNT GET UP FOR SCHOOL.

IVE SEEN RAGES IN HIM THAT WAS SCARY EVEN THO HES NEVER HIT ANYONE HERE. HE HAS BEEN IN FIGHTS WITH GUYS AND BELIEVE ME AT 6'3' AND 270 HE CAN KILL SOMEONE.

I TRY TO TELL HIM A MISTAKE CAN CAUSE HIM TO DIE OR SOMEONE ELSE. HE THINKS HES 10FT TALL AND BULLETPROOF.

MY CHIRO DID MAKE ME FEEL BETTER. HES KNOWN US ALL HIS LIFE. HE SAID THE WAY KYLE IS ON MEDS IS HIS TRUE PERSONALITTY. NOT THE RAGE OUT OF CONTROL PERSON(HES HEARD THE STORIES)

THANK YOU SO MUCH LOVE GAIL
  13. dreamharp

dreamharp New Member

I have a son that is 20 years old and has anxiety and severe
    depression issues. No meds or therapy has been effective.
    What test(s) should I ask for for my son to be checked for lyme? Did your son lack all motivation to do anything?

Thanks

Dreamharp

14. karatelady52

karatelady52 New Member

Before I saw Victoria's post, I was going to say the same thing. Many people on Lymenet.org were at one time diagnosed with bipolar only to find out later it is lyme disease. Neuro-lyme can mimic bipolar disease.

Dreamharp: The test you want to insist on is the Western Blot and have it sent to a lab called Igenex.

The test most doctors use is the Elisa and it is not a very reliable test and you can get a false negative.

Good luck --- its worth a try,

Sandy
  15. SandraJean

SandraJean New Member

Hi again,

I just wanted to mention that the actor that plays Sonny Coretos----Maurice----on General Hospital is bi-polar in real life. He has been speaking out at different talk shows, etc. anout his stuggle with BP over the years and the need to stay on medications.

Sandy
  16. victoria

victoria New Member

BTW bipolar was one thing that was considered also for my son, but again reacted badly to depakote and lithium, never reacted well to anything except L-Theanine which helped anxiety... and--

yes...no energy for motivation was left truly - occasionally would have a spark of energy but couldn't carry thru with anything on a long-term basis.

up until around age 13 he was highly motivated, around then he fell in love with guitar and taught himself to play and compose etc... as all this hit & became slowly worse, he slowly lost his motivation and when the 12-14 hours of unrefreshed sleep hit it was even worse... he said there were long periods of time he lost all desire/motivation to even pick up his guitar - he became very lethargic...
    this was SO not like him before!

Now, after six months of abx, he has insisted on working said he needed to do it for his self-esteem, but after 40 hour week he has very little energy for anything else altho in his head he is still motivated... is 18 now, got his GED last year as school was impossible. I think it will be a long road for him, he is slowly getting better but it is s-l-o-w...

all the best,
    Victoria